Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
What Car review

Just been reading this review and shocked to read this in the summary Shocked

Quote:
Against It’s hardly a bargain and the way it drives doesn’t live up to the ‘Sport’ tag.

I thought they were supposed to be quick Confused

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/land-ro...mary/67090 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #394697 Wed Sep 11 2013 7:56pm
DBA

Macedonia 

I have read this some time ago, and was also a bit puzzled, since it was so praised so much for it's handling and sportiness...

Top Gear even compared and it beat a tuned Mini and it bit it.

Autocar compared it to Cayenne, and said something like Cayman can drive circles around the new RRS, so not sure what to think.

The new RRS is still not present in our country so not able to test drive it.

Post #394745 Thu Sep 12 2013 9:14am
Tboner

England 

sdv6 RRS V Porka 3.0 , porka is far quicker in real world in 3.0 form.

RRS far more comfort against Porka with air susp. and 100% better than the BMW. BMW and Porka both have better 3.0 engines IMO.

Handling not a lot in it against the 3.0's in this class.

As with the Range Rover the Sport really does not work in SDV6 guise IMO , and yes i have driven or own these cars in the real world.

5.0 SC sport is a smile factor car but did it really need to be so loud as to compete with an Aston , XKrs etc in the decibel awards and of course benefits from the correct toys in Dyn and autobiog spec 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #394755 Thu Sep 12 2013 10:08am
mse

United Kingdom 

This is no surprise and exactly the sort of comment ive been making the 2014 is good, but only a little better than the 2013 or 2012

The fact all the cool stuff is done in the 5SC to me speaks volumes, you cant compare 5l and 3lSDv6 - People also get sucked into the engineered noise, thinking that makes it faster.

The sport is sporty and it is nippy - compared to a number of things, but it is also a 4x4 and very capable - i personally think the sport in what ever MY is no more or less sporty than its rivals.

Finally - we dont all drive them on the track!! Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #394773 Thu Sep 12 2013 4:06pm
Tboner

England 

" Finally - we dont all drive them on the track!! "

Spot on totally agree

It seems that every frickin review of every car now is about track times ! a load of ROLLOCKS 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #394777 Thu Sep 12 2013 4:12pm
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Had a test drive of the Cayenne with air suspension drove really well cabin quality was also very good Thumbs Up
Think its close between the rrs and the Cayenne 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #394856 Fri Sep 13 2013 11:21am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: What Car review

muddywheels wrote:
Just been reading this review and shocked to read this in the summary Shocked

Quote:
Against It’s hardly a bargain and the way it drives doesn’t live up to the ‘Sport’ tag.

Note that they drove the HSE, not the HSE Dynamic. The Dynamic bit adds the torque vectoring and other bits designed to make it more accomplished on road. Typical lazy journalism from WhatCar? sadly. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #394901 Fri Sep 13 2013 2:37pm
mse

United Kingdom 

You are correct they say HSE, but the pictures tell a different story i wonder if they are stock pictures, one clearly shows it having all the bits...

woops the dynamic has the same review:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/land-ro...mary/67154 Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #394903 Fri Sep 13 2013 2:42pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Yes, I noticed the pictures but they did look like stock photos to me.

Interesting that the Dynamic gets the same headline for/against comments. Not surprised by their "buy the HSE it's much cheaper" line. They do tend to focus on price more than anything, I've found. I note that they say that a low range gearbox is an option when, of course, it's standard on half the range and not available at all on the base model.

I wonder if the magazine version of the review is more accurate than the internet version... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #394930 Fri Sep 13 2013 5:00pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

After I had ordered my RRS I read a couple of reviews in various motoring magazines (What Car and Top Gear) which scared me to death! The reviews made it sound as if I had just spent a very large chunk of money on a slow fuel guzzling dinosaur of a car. I was in two minds as to cancel the order, but I stuck to my guns and picked my car up on 1st March 2012.

Since then I have had the pleasure to drive one (if not the) of the best cars I have ever owned. So I now tend to take car magazine reviews with a pinch of salt and make my own decisions on how good a car is from listening to people who actually drive them on a daily basis as car owners. This coupled with test drives and constructive research normally ( hopefully) results in not buying a lemon! lol

The new RRS is growing on me, especially in the HSE Dynamic spec, and I for one certainly wouldn't let a report written by an unknown 25 year old journalist, who drove the car for a couple of hours before stepping back into his 5 year old Ford Fiesta, put me off owning what is the next generation of an iconic and very capable vehicle.

Jim

Post #394942 Fri Sep 13 2013 6:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 

The problem is reviews are rubbish...very few people who have bought a new car are going to say its rubbish, anyone who has an older one of any age and makes a comment ,is going to be refereed to in a number of ways none positively

Then you get into what you traded up from and two.

Ive had one for a few days, done the LR test drives etc and can see its better than pre 2011 but we are convinced its only slightly better than 2012 on and is still to evoque like. I also heard some interesting things yesterday about sales and reviews i cant repeat which i appreciate is a rubbish comment to make, but hey.

What it does tell you is you have to make your own decisions in this world based on your own assessment Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Last edited by mse on Sat Sep 14 2013 12:08am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #394943 Fri Sep 13 2013 6:26pm
jim4244

So what were these interesting things that you heard yesterday?

Jim

Post #394950 Fri Sep 13 2013 6:52pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Bless, in fairness I hadn't completed the sentence - I must have been distracted Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #394976 Fri Sep 13 2013 11:24pm
jim4244

So mse......are you going to complete your sentence and tell us all what you heard? If it affects the good folk who come to this forum for information and sometimes advice I would think that you have a captive audience.

You have often intimated that you have insider knowledge of JLR, but that you do not work for them. I also remember someone saying that you fly aircraft for a living? I can only assume that you fly rotary wing and occasionally have JLR executives sitting in the back of the cab?

If I had information that I could share with the people on this site which may save them from making an extremely costly mistake then I personally wouldn’t hesitate to pass on the information……………….

Jim

Post #394980 Sat Sep 14 2013 4:27am
Tboner

England 

Thumbs Up 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #394994 Sat Sep 14 2013 12:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>