RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wood door trim inserts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

terrygill

United Kingdom 
Wood door trim inserts

I am considering purchasing a new or not so new RRS.

I like the wood trim door inserts. I have asked 2 dealers if they can change the door inserts from either black or alpaca to cherry wood, if I car isn't available with wood trims.

They inform me that they can't change the door inserts without changing the whole door panel @ circ £500 each. However the Cherry Wood inserts themselves are available from dealer parts depts at around £500 the lot including the 2 centre console trims.

Has anyone experienced this and if so do they know if this can be done without buying new door panels as well?

Thanx

Terryg[/b]

Post #46711 Tue Jul 25 2006 5:03pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

I think what's available as an accessory is the Cherry Wood Facia Kit. This Kit complements the existing Cherry Wood trim that comes with the car. It includes, as you mentioned, the trims for the centre consoles and trims for the 4 air vents. Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #46726 Wed Jul 26 2006 12:39am
Josh

United Kingdom 

Personally if I was going to change the door trims in order to put the wood in. Then I would go to Overfinch or similar and have their leather door panels put in with the wood. Much nicer than LR's plastic door trims and wood. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #46761 Wed Jul 26 2006 9:15am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I believe one of our American members has done the swap to Lined Oak, so it is possible. I think it was antics22.

Here's a link to a similar thread

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic2531.h...+door+trim L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #46783 Wed Jul 26 2006 1:16pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

I beleive if your car came with wood door trims then it can be changed to any colour wood/carbon fibre easily.
But if it came with the plastic inserts as on the HSE then you have to change the door card completely in order to install wood or anything else in that strip.

If I had known that pre my purchase then I would have had the cherry trim(which I didn't like) and got rid of it. This would have been a cheaper mod than replacing the door cards and trim.

But hey ho Rolling Eyes No hurry. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #46873 Thu Jul 27 2006 11:34am
Compuway

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Terry,

I have just gone through this saga myself over the past two months, finally culminating in the successful fitting of the door trims by the dealer yesterday. Laughing I am currently offshore and haven't seen them yet but apparently they look great.

I purchased my car without the trim and decided later I would like it. I brought the Cherrywood trim kit off ebay from one of our sister US RRS forum members who had changed the Cherrywood out for polished oak. It wasn't until my dealer was attempting to fit the new trim that we all discovered that the wood trim door shells and the non wood trim door shells are different. Basically what is missing is a plastic retainer holder that clips into the wooden insert and allows the door opening latch to be refitted to the door. On the non wood trim doors this is actually molded into the door trim insert and cannot be removed. It is shown as a separate part in the W/Shp manual but is not listed in any parts list and cannot be brought from LR as all the door shells come from a separate supplier.

Through the generous help of one of our forum members I have finally succeeded in getting the trims fitted. It may be easier for you being in the UK, but if you can buy the car with them fitted then I think you would save yourself alot less hassle. Please PM me if you would like some more details.

From talking to my dealer last night it took them about 3 hours to do all 4 doors and cost me A$350.00. That is not including the A$380.00 it originally cost me to find out they couldn't complete the job because these retainers were not there. They had spent 4 hours on the job trying all sorts of things before they aborted it. Still had to pay unfortunately.

Hope this helps.....Wayne 2006 RRS TDV6, Java/Alpaca, Dynamic Response Pack, Tow Pack, Head and Tail light protectors, 20" Stormers, Roof Rails, S/C Grill and Side Vents, Tasmods. AutoLogic mod.
1988 RR Highline, 3.5 EFI Arctic White, ARB Bullbar, Roof Rails, 15" Alloys, Front and Rear light Grilles, Side steps. (Still going strong)

Post #46970 Fri Jul 28 2006 6:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
terrygill

United Kingdom 
Wood door trim inserts

Thanks you all for your replies - It seems like I will definately be waiting for a car with wood trim fitted. I am new to 'forums' and think this is great. I am can't wait to get a RRS and hoefully contribute to the forum again soon.

Post #47276 Mon Jul 31 2006 9:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1