Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Diagnostic tool recomendation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

SRE

Spain 

Ive just ordered the B/tooth version from Simon MPS Trading 01435812813
Disco 3 Forum sponsers

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic99979.html In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #393687 Tue Sep 03 2013 3:29pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor

Cyprus 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Quote:
will BBS continue support for the current unit....at a reasonable price....they didn't with the Rovacom lite.

Actually you are wrong. Although we now produce different and much lower cost hardware that has added things like single vehicle licensing capabilities at a much lower cost as well as some stand alone capabilities the software these use and which we continue to freely add to on a regular basis is specifically developed so as to be completely back compatible with everything from the Rovacom lite through to our current MSV-2 hardware.

We also have hardware upgrade deals on offer.

Although i have not previously been a prolific poster on this forum, I have actually been a commercial sponsor on this forum and indeed all Martins Forums for many years and have always offered a 10% discount to all established members on all of them.

Recently there are indeed new alternatives on offer in the world of diagnostic equipment, but frankly nothing yet comes anywhere close to the immense capabilities and functionality that our equipment provides and is so well reknowned and reputed for. Full CCF editing, Full all ECU re flashing, settings, key learning, EAS height calibration and absolutely thousands of inputs and outputs on every ECU to name but some access capability. We have been in this business for nearly 20 years, were the very first to offer any kind of diagnostic equipment and modification possibilities for these vehicles many years back and are very well placed to hold on to our hard earned number one position.

Functionality wise, you can save and restore all settings, record data as text, AVI video files even CSV files that can be pulled into spread sheet like Excel for analysis.

You can now buy any number of 4x4 vehicles which all seem to do the same job but there is only one Land Rover and although it costs more, folks who choose a Land Rover will appreciate the difference and what having the best above any alternate really means.

We are working on some new alternates, which many will find interesting, but we have absoutely no plans to replace or discontinue our existing equipment or drop support for our older equipment.

Post #393787 Wed Sep 04 2013 8:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SRE

Spain 

Colin, I do like your equipment, I have used both the Rovacom Lite and a Faultmate that we have in the Family, and your stuff is good, it's just the cost.

The Rovacom Lite was sold specifically for the DIY enthusiast, not for commercial use, so where is the DIY/Single user licence?
Ther wording used by BBS
Specifically designed to bring professional diagnostic access within affordable reach of private owners and enthusiasts.

Sorry, but I am NOT wrong, please tell, exactly how much to add my Range Rover Sport onto my existing Rovercom Lite Hardware................then try and tell us its reasonable price and that you still support this bit of DIY equipment??? In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures

Post #393803 Thu Sep 05 2013 8:53am
mse

United Kingdom 

Sometimes its worth thinking about what you want to do with the system first and costing that side. Certainly an LR one is better than a generic one.

I think the principle and equipment of BBS is good for the home user (even though im not a fan), if you need that detailed capability at home

What ive seen of the GAP IID tool is very good I thought well worth the cash for a simple home tool (I would buy one if I needed it). I had Hawkeye (not for the sport) and that wasn't as good - but not bad. For the defender I loved the little nanocom unit I had ( also had the TD5 disco unlock code) - basic, but reliable, did the things like fault code resets, key fob tuning etc and you didn't need any more

Im spoiled because I have access to autologic which is the best IMHO, certainly from a commercial point of view.

It comes back to my first point about what do you want to do and goes like this - it might be better to pay £20 - 40 the few times you want the advanced features and have a basic tool for those simple tasks - than shelling out in any other way.

Use, Features and Cost then possibly flexibility to make your decision Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #393864 Thu Sep 05 2013 3:51pm
SRE

Spain 

mse
I agree with 99% of what you say, for me I had already bought the home user version BBS hardware, problem is to add just the software alone for my Sport is over £1400. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures

Post #393870 Thu Sep 05 2013 4:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 

I agree about the prices, Its difficult to say too much about BBS because i dont want to get into a back and forth with its owner Colin on here or cause any problems for Martin.

For the BBS cash and actual use - for me, just a personal thing, i would spend a little extra and get autologic - ive spent hours now on their kit and its great...but its not home user marketed or aimed

With all these things its about need, personal exposure and choice - i mean if you were going to the desert on a safari you might need something to do it all (autologic) and to give you peace of mind

In the centre of London, you probably dont need to do much Laughing Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #393873 Thu Sep 05 2013 4:57pm
SRE

Spain 

I do not want to fall out with Colin or to give Martin any problems either.
I will say, Colin's (BBS) equipment is VERY good, and it would have been my first choice, so much so, that if Colin could have sold me a singe vin licence for my existing hardware, (with the 10% forum discount Thumbs Up ) then that is the route I would have taken, even though it would have cost me more than the B/T IIDTool.

Colin, I have nothing against you and BBS, it's just the cost....I am after all a poor man Big Cry In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures

Post #393876 Thu Sep 05 2013 5:11pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Didnt mean to imply you did Thumbs Up soz Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #393877 Thu Sep 05 2013 5:22pm
SRE

Spain 
One for Colin

I should have added, that I intend to keep my Rovercom Lite system, and if I ever get a problem with a specific ECU or system, then I will more than likely purchase the relevant bit of software from Colin, https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/, this being a far more cost effective option for me.

Two questions for Colin

1) I am not sure, but I think I just need one extra lead to make the Rovacom talk to my Sport on the CAN --- VCI2 OBDII Diagnostic Lead (CAN Network).

2) Do we get the 10% forum discount on individual software packages and leads etc Thumbs Up In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures

Post #393971 Fri Sep 06 2013 1:07pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor

Cyprus 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Hiya Chaps

No offence taken by me, and discussing these matters is surely what this forum is best for. I am certainly not afraid of pointy questions or comments Thumbs Up

Firstly i should state that when we introduced the Rovacom Lite, which cost about 400 GBP for all the hardware, and software was by user selectable individual ECU's costing from 50 to 250 GBP, the only other alternates were into 10K plus at the time. Hence the statement about the Lite that you quote SRE. In respect the statement was an entirely honest one.

The Rovacom Lite, along with every other product and innovation BBS has produced since then has striven to be ever more and more affordable. And of course our SV licencing was one of these innovations. Sadly however we can only impliment SV on our later hardware that supports it. And the Lite does not. Also unlike previous Land Rover models, the ECU's in CAN BUS vehicles are so interconnected and interdependant we offer only coverage of all ECU' at the same time. Hence when you enquired about adding it to your Rovacom Lite SRE you would have been quoted about 1200 plus VAT (The VAT element of course is something which we can't really do anything about) for the normal MV software.

I appreciate that 1200 sounds a lot for software, but for so many ECU's, typically up to 25, and the degree of complexity and diagnostic capability we provide for each, this is actually respectively the most coverage and capability we have ever offered at the price, and surely as all Land Rover owners know and respect, Getting the best there is, does cost that bit more.

Although your Rovacom Lite equipment cannot take advantage of our SV Licensing, which by comparison provides the same capability but at only 440 GBP plus VAT, you could have elected to just buy a complete new MSV-2 kit of all hardware and software for £652.59 (excl. VAT)

We could have also taken your Lite in and transferred your existing software licences to your new Hardware if you wished.

To answer your 2 specific questions SRE

1) Yes, the CAN BUS systems require a different lead / VCI than the earlier vehicles, which we provide as an all in one solution with the VCI2 built right into the OBDII plug.

2) The 10% discount is intended for first time buyers only, but owning a Lite would not be considered as a valid reason to not include you for this discount making it only 587.33 Plus VAT @ 18%

BTW, There are always other options and possibilities.

Email or PM me if you are interested SRE

ATB

Colin

Post #394220 Sat Sep 07 2013 7:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12