RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Auto Deploying Side Steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Mark_N

United Kingdom 
Auto Deploying Side Steps

Any thoughts on what is quite an expensive dealer-installed option? It's something like £3k installed I am told.

I can think of one or two people I may take as passengers who will not be used to the height of an RR and will end up scuffing the sill plates as they clamber in. OTOH, this option adds weight and complexity. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #391787 Thu Aug 15 2013 6:42am
The Red One

United Kingdom 

Hi Mark,
Why not look at the fixed step as I have them on my 2012 HSE and they work great for people getting in and out if the car. You can also lower the height to assist getting in and out too. Not sure if this is correct, but my dealer suggested that the new sport automatically lowers down when the engine is switched off so it makes access easier. I cannot find any information on that in the literature, but if that is true, why spend £3k on deployable steps.
The dealer also told me that for resale vale, spec the deployable tow bar, which on the Configurator is almost £2k, but he told me that it is actually about £800 when you do the actual order paperwork.
There are a lot more electronic elements to this new sport, which keeps RR a luxury vehicle.
Good luck with it Cool

Post #391792 Thu Aug 15 2013 7:27am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I saw a RRS yesterday with these on

They fold out quite fast and looked to hide away quite well

My thoughts were what would happen if you parked next to a high kerb would they hit them?

And with their obvious location would they be trashed with road salt in winter/stones thrown up etc

Nice toy though and did look Cool

Post #391793 Thu Aug 15 2013 7:37am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I saw a FFRR with the deploying steps t'other day. Quite quick in action but I noted that they sit quite a long way below the sills when folded - the brackets sit even lower still. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #391810 Thu Aug 15 2013 10:24am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i didn't get down and look, (might do tomorrow when i am back at the dealership)

but they looked to go back quite flush at a little bit of a angle from memory, getting on you hands and knees might tell a different story though

Post #391812 Thu Aug 15 2013 10:28am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I had a ffrr loaner with them and thought they were excellent. Much more practical and nicer than the fixed IMHO Bow down

Kids and elderly loved them and unless you looked they were hidden when not used - I even used them for first time since my D2 Embarassed

I don't normally add accessories but if I have the cash I will be tempted on my next one Thumbs Up

Certainly got a lot of stares when we pulled up and they came out then retracted as we left Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #391822 Thu Aug 15 2013 12:20pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Side steps of of little use in my opinion except for protecting the sides...therefore personally, i wouldnt have electric ones as they seem loose loose. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #391846 Thu Aug 15 2013 2:41pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback, I too think the folding ones are better than the fixed ones and they will make it easier for kids and older people to get in. I don't think there's an option for the car to lower itself on its suspension but maybe others know differently.

I understand they are quite a lot of work for the dealer to install and it surprises me they are not offered as a factory fit option where the installation cost will be lower.

One thing I see is different is the front mud-guards are specified differently if you have this option. Mark

Post #391847 Thu Aug 15 2013 2:42pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

When looking at a car with side step, my mum who has trouble walking nowadays found access mode better, the car she tried with steps was very difficult to get in

If this is the reason you need them try first Thumbs Up

Post #391853 Thu Aug 15 2013 3:21pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The outgoing sport with fixed side steps is useless and access mode is better Thumbs Up

The new ffrr is higher so deployable side steps are spot on and very sturdy too Cool Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #391860 Thu Aug 15 2013 3:54pm
RRSTDV8

I have fixed side steps on my "old" RRS. I find them to be extremely useful on a daily basis but I have found that old people trying to access the rear seats find them difficult to use. I never use access height except when giving either set of parents a lift.

That's the thing about these things - different people find different options useful / useless. Some people swear by rear seat entertainment but I have absolutely no use for it, for example. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #391863 Thu Aug 15 2013 4:34pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

fixed, i don't need as i am over 6ft, but find them making me get in from too far away from the car

Post #391867 Thu Aug 15 2013 4:42pm
corrisgrey

United Kingdom 

The demo we drove had them fitted and my wife and I found they got in the way, especially when getting out of the vehicle They are not very wide, so there is a risk of heels slipping off them resulting in ankle injuries to older people (like us)!

Post #391873 Thu Aug 15 2013 4:55pm
RRSTDV8

I'm over 6ft tall and have size 12 feet and find them wide enough to use all the time. I step on to the step getting in - especially useful when someone parks too close to the driver's side. Getting out I use them to avoid the seat cushion damaging "slide off". 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #391887 Thu Aug 15 2013 9:28pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I wasn't aware of Access Mode. Does the new car have it and how much is the car lowered when it's used. I still shy away from the idea of a relatively complex dealer installed option. The examples I've seen of dealer installed mud-flaps and roof bars on the Evoque are that it's a bodger's paradise. Mark

Post #391917 Fri Aug 16 2013 6:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>