RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Red Brake Calipers? Red Paint or different spec caliper?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ur84wr

Red Brake Calipers? Red Paint or different spec caliper?

Hi All,

I have an order about to be built in a few weeks (SDv6 HSE, fuji, stereo etc etc) for Oct delivery.

Unfortunately in Aus you need to go to Supercharged V8 spec to get access to the Dynamic Pack which is a real shame as a supercharged V8 is more of a sports car than offroad+utility hybrid.

After seeing this review: I saw that the red brake calipers that come with the dynamic pack are actually Brembo brakes.

I didn't tick this option on its own as $800 AUD for some red painted calipers is a waste of dough but upon seeing this review Iam wondering whether you actually get different Brembo calipers OR you get the same spec brake if you don't tick the option they just come in whatever factory default colour.

Does anyone know the answer to this? This is the unfortunate thing about ordering a car before the dealers have the knowledge to answer these type of specific questions and they've seen a variety of cars in person.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post #391475 Mon Aug 12 2013 12:32am
Alan61

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

In UK the Dynamic gives the bigger brakes, 20 inch vs 19 inc, same as on the Supercharged, these are Brembo and come painted black as standard on the HSE Dynamic, If you pay an additional £330 you get them painted red, no other difference, you are right, a lot of money for some red paint, they do look great but then again so would the black I am sure Thumbs Up

Best of luck. MY 2014 HSE Dynamic
MY 2012 RRS HSE
2009 Audi A6 Avant- superb quality but boring never missed
2007 Q7 -loved it but not a patch on RRS
Various BMW's, Audis
199 TD5 Disco XS, great car big improvement on previous Disco
1981 Fiat Mirafiori Sport 2000 TC - Bright Orange and Black, great Car when new but soon deteriorated, those were the days

Post #391480 Mon Aug 12 2013 7:26am
ur84wr

i just dug this up from my build spec.

(020BG) Brake Calipers Unbranded / Unpainted

Answers my question and may be of some help to any other Aussies ordering an SDv6HSE.

I wonder if i did tick the painted caliper option what I would have ended up with...

Post #391489 Mon Aug 12 2013 8:53am
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I have an HSE Dynamic on order, and I had the same question. To quote my dealer: "The red Rambo (yes, he really called them Rambo) brake callipers do offer a higher level of performance and are not just aesthetic." Is he telling the truth? I hope so, because on the basis of his advice, I've added them to my spec. 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #418585 Thu Mar 20 2014 8:09pm
Alan61

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

All Dynamic and Autobiography models get 'Rambo' brakes, Laughing as previously stated these are the larger diameter and more efficient than those on the HSE models. The £360 Red Calipers gets you what it says on the tin, some red paint Shocked no difference in technical spec. As has been mentioned in another thread, even though you pay £360 pounds the finish on the rear is far inferior to the front, I suspect that the rear calipers are the same as those on the HSE but with a bit of red paint applied to them, I stand corrected if anyone knows any better. MY 2014 HSE Dynamic
MY 2012 RRS HSE
2009 Audi A6 Avant- superb quality but boring never missed
2007 Q7 -loved it but not a patch on RRS
Various BMW's, Audis
199 TD5 Disco XS, great car big improvement on previous Disco
1981 Fiat Mirafiori Sport 2000 TC - Bright Orange and Black, great Car when new but soon deteriorated, those were the days

Post #418610 Thu Mar 20 2014 9:57pm
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

It goes from bad to worse...I had a written confirmation from my dealer that, to quote:

"The red Brake Callipers are a higher level of performance. The standard brake callipers are made by Brembo but are not branded they are 19” callipers. The red Brembo brake callipers are 20” thus a bigger disc is fitted too, made for the super charged Sport available as an option on the 3.0SDV6 and 4.4SDV6 . This does only apply to the front brakes though, but you will get better braking and less brake fade.

Hope this satisfies your concern. To triple check I have checked on the Sport parts ordering system if we were to order either calliper they do indeed come as either a 19” or 20” calliper."

The above is clearly Censored ! I went back to him again, on the basis of what's been said on here and I've just had another email from him:

"I have been told the official line which is the red Brembo Brakes are an upgrade/option done for the super charged.

However on closer inspection both the black 20” and red 20” brake callipers use the same discs and pads, also if I were to order black 20” brake callipers separately they actually cost slightly more than the red 20” callipers.
When I was at the launch of the new Sport I also recollect been told that Brembo made the brakes for the sport to carry on the tradition from the old Sport and Range Rover.

Taking all the above in to account although I cannot be 100% I do feel the forums are correct and the brakes are indeed the same and they are just painted."

Disgraceful that an official dealer still "cannot be 100%" certain, after checking three times! I have now cancelled the option for red callipers as I am not prepared to pay extra just for some red paint. 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #418982 Mon Mar 24 2014 12:09pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Quite oddly, on my AB Sport with Brembos and red calipers, there is far more brake dust settling on the rear alloys than on the front. I wonder if this means the rear brakes are either a different set up, or there is more braking on the rear wheels than the front, which is usually the reverse!

Post #419021 Mon Mar 24 2014 5:38pm
Sb7019

United Kingdom 

The rear brake dust is greater due to the use of the rear brakes for torque vectoring. I have had this on a series of XJ's ( hope to be switching to an RRS later this week). One thing I had to watch is that the smaller rear pads can wear faster than the fronts. On the Jaguars I found the rear pads needed replacing twice as often - so you need to keep an eye on them as this is the opposite to the most vehicles where, as you say, the fronts take most of the normal braking load.

Post #419030 Mon Mar 24 2014 6:49pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Good info...many thanks!

Post #419032 Mon Mar 24 2014 7:09pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

Yes, this non-intuitive issue started when traction control by brakes rather than an LSD was introduced. The rears wear out faster than the fronts. Strange but true. Regards

Malcolm

Post #419034 Mon Mar 24 2014 7:10pm
rangiejools

Australia 

I have an SDV6 SE on order with the on/off road pack.. Is this the same as the "dynamic pack"? I didn't see the "dynamic pack" as an option on my car. As far as I know the rear brakes on the pack I have ordered are larger than standard. To do with torque vectoring for sure. A locking rear diff and adjustable dampers are also part of the pack I think. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #419095 Tue Mar 25 2014 7:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1