RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Cracked Windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

East Coast Sport

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Cracked Windscreen

Came out the office the other day to find the windscreen, on my 3 week old motor has fkn cracked! for no reason at all, not been hit by anything Censored not happy.

Guy at the glass company says it was probably the hot weather, 55k car and a wee bit sun fks the windscreen Evil or Very Mad 2017 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
2015 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus Silver.
2013 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey, 5 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloys, Ebony Premium Oxford Leather, Privacy Glass

Post #391336 Fri Aug 09 2013 1:20pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Problem is, it could well of taken a whack in transit, even if there are no signs of damage it could of weakened it and the heat (or even a bad condition road?) has compounded it Sad

Hopefully you'll get it sorted swiftly Smile ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #391337 Fri Aug 09 2013 1:59pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

If you go down the insurance route for a replacement make sure they fit an LR part.

Many will fit cheaper 3rd party items and may, (as Direct Line did to me) even ask you to cough up the difference if you insist on an LR product.

Post #391342 Fri Aug 09 2013 3:27pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My non-LR replacement screen has every single marking as the LR-marked ones do and is made by the same people who make the LR-marked ones. Not sure what difference having the LR logo makes other than adding to the cost... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #391347 Fri Aug 09 2013 3:37pm
drdelrrs

I see the crack is in the exact position as mine which went while driving through France - parked up at the time!!

Sorry RRSTDV8 but the manufacturer is not the OE supplier.

LR replacement screens come with new side trim & clips - windscreen companies only replace glass

Post #391357 Fri Aug 09 2013 7:38pm
RRSTDV8

When mine was replaced, by Autoglass, they also replaced the side trims and clips.

The screen is made by Pilkington, not LR. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #391383 Sat Aug 10 2013 2:16pm
drdelrrs

^^^ My post said "Sorry RRSTDV8 but the manufacturer is not the OE supplier. " which doesn't say that LR manufacturers its screens. JLR is and assembly company 'making' next to nowt Thumbs Up

Post #391418 Sun Aug 11 2013 8:28am
mse

United Kingdom 

drdelrrs wrote:
^^^ My post said "Sorry RRSTDV8 but the manufacturer is not the OE supplier. " which doesn't say that LR manufacturers its screens. JLR is and assembly company 'making' next to nowt Thumbs Up

That's not strictly true Thumbs Up which doesn't mean they don't design and engineer solutions Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #391425 Sun Aug 11 2013 9:34am
East Coast Sport

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Very Happy Hats off to Gary and the boys at Auto Windscreens in Aberdeen on a first class job. He even told me that the design of the clips that hold the exterior trim in place has changed on 2013 my therefore the ones he had ordered were not quite the same shape.

He has ordered the new ones and will fit them free of charge should I have any problems, top man.

LR badged glass fitted with absolutely no argument from LR insurance, all in all a very satisfactory outcome.

I can now stop driving like a nun to protect my cracked screen. Four weeks with an RRS and I love it Very Happy Thumbs Up 2017 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
2015 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus Silver.
2013 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey, 5 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloys, Ebony Premium Oxford Leather, Privacy Glass

Post #391944 Fri Aug 16 2013 2:05pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

LR Insurance shouldn't have any problem fitting LR OEM Parts, its part of your cover (like mine) that they only fit genuine LR items, whether its glass or body work

Piece of mind is worth the cost

Post #391950 Fri Aug 16 2013 2:27pm
MGO

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

does anyone know if there are two fuses for the front windscreen heater circuit?

I sometimes use the screen heater to "defog"
since screen changed, the left side clears perfectly, the right side does not.... and a very defined straight separation between the left and the right.

Post #392968 Tue Aug 27 2013 8:48pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Not sure on fuses, but there are 2 connectors, one for each side

They should sort it for you without issue Thumbs Up

Post #392970 Tue Aug 27 2013 9:06pm
MGO

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

I guess I best get them back out to it anyway.... frosty mornings wont be far off

Post #392971 Tue Aug 27 2013 9:10pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

drdelrrs wrote:
If you go down the insurance route for a replacement make sure they fit an LR part.

Many will fit cheaper 3rd party items and may, (as Direct Line did to me) even ask you to cough up the difference if you insist on an LR product.

I had a cracked screen six months ago and Autoglass fitted a generic non-LR screen through my insurance. However, the rain sensor didn't work and they acknowledged the car required a genuine screen so they got one and refitted it a week later. A fair bit of hassle but no extra charge and everything worked properly with no further problems.

Unfortunately, this new screen recently cracked so I rung Autoglass and requested a genuine LR replacement, sighting previous issues in an attempt to avoid a repeat of the double-fitting fiasco. My insurance company (also Direct Line) refused, saying I would have to pay the £250 difference, PLUS £75 excess, if I wanted the genuine LR part. Naturally I declined, opting instead to give the generic windscreen another chance after assurances from Autoglass it would be identical to the genuine LR glass just without the LR logo in the bottom corner. So, new screen fitted this week and, guess what...., the rain sensor doesn't work once again????

Autoglass are currently awaiting approval from the insurers to remove and fit a genuine LR windscreen. Meanwhile, I'm poised to fight my corner if expected to cough-up the extra just because their approved fitters supply unsuitable parts.

Watch this space!!!! Mad MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #394835 Thu Sep 12 2013 11:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

The non-LR screen fitted by Autoglass on my RRS includes the rain sensor and it worked first time. Indeed, I had the screen replaced twice in a month because of stone cracks and on both occasions the rain sensor worked correctly.

I'd bet more on the operative fitting the screen incorrectly than it being a LR/non-LR screen issue. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #394900 Fri Sep 13 2013 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>