RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > To V8 or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
To V8 or not

So I was about to order my new RRS today.... sorta got a good idea of my spec....Dynamic with all the toys......
Then I paused..... the V8 4.4 oil burner is due out I think at the end of the year.......

Your esteemed advice would be greatly appreciated.....

I do a lot of motorway and mountain driving here..... should I wait for the V8 or go for the SDV6
I love the fact the new car is substantially lighter and donīt want to be piling on the pounds again.... but the performance just might be worth it...

Second...... that off road pack is pricey........ Yay or Nay.......

Third and last question my current RRS is Fuji and black lthr with white stitching......
Iīm going Fuji again as it shows the lines beautifully and looks fab here in the sun and snow.......but donīt want black inside again...

Am i bonkers going for Pimento !!!!! anyone seen it in the flesh....

Or should I do Espresso leather seats... Dark brown....
Or of course as a last resort...black... again

All feedback greatly received 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #390056 Fri Jul 26 2013 4:54pm
Dickie

United Kingdom 

I've just changed my Autobiography from Pimento/Ebony to Lunar/Ebony. They didn't have any pimento cars at the Gaydon launch/test day, which was my main reason for going, so I did some more looking into the red interior finding more pictures/videos online. Sadly it's too bright red for my liking, seems much brighter than the online configurator would have you believe. So I bottled it for fear of resale issues if it's not to everyones taste and went for a slightly safer colour. All black is just too dull and dark for me and Ivory (as in my Vogue) is a nightmare to keep looking nice.

I think Espresso would look good in a white car, although not sure it would be to everyone's liking come resale. It's something I always consider as I tend to change cars regularly, only got my L405 in May and the Sport arrives in Oct!

Post #390088 Fri Jul 26 2013 10:33pm
andman

Thanks Dickie.....dealership out here didnt have samples and I feared exactly what you said about Pimento.... sounds like its going to be quite brash i
Got a 1 year old baby so Ivory will probably become Espresso over time !!!
lunar ebony has to be the other option....

Then itīs just whether to wait for the V8... quite tempting as I will be the first one delivered out here..... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #390099 Fri Jul 26 2013 11:57pm
Cpd1

Re: To V8 or not

andman wrote:

Then I paused..... the V8 4.4 oil burner is due out I think at the end of the year.......

I do a lot of motorway and mountain driving here..... should I wait for the V8 or go for the SDV6
I love the fact the new car is substantially lighter and donīt want to be piling on the pounds again.... but the performance just might be worth it...

Drove the V8 in the new FFRR, lovely sound, plenty of power. However looking at the spec sheet, the V8 is 283kgs heavier than the SDV6, that's similar to carrying 4 adults, mostly over the bonnet too! Only 0.3 sec faster to 60mph.
Price diff likely to be Ģ4-5k too if you look at the FFRR( Ģ7k but comes with Dynamic Response). Think the SDV6 is the better compromise. Alternatively the Hybrid might be worth looking at but unclear when available and ls likely to be heavy.

As for Pimento, seen red interiors on other cars and can look fab. See you have the new Boxster on order, in the 911 the red is beautiful but certainly not to everybody's taste, a bit like marmite. I think in pictures it always look brighter but not going to be easy to find one to look at it early on. I went safe Ivory with Ebony seats to try to avoid the high maintenance as mentioned by Dickie.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Cpd1 on Sat Jul 27 2013 7:59am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #390104 Sat Jul 27 2013 7:34am
SDV6RRS

United Kingdom 

Any idea why the drag coefficient is worse on the V8? The underbody construction? That seems odd to me

Post #390106 Sat Jul 27 2013 7:49am
Cpd1

only guessing but maybe the smaller diesel has active front panels that close behind the grille, helps the engine warm up faster/better aero. Seen that on few recent diesel cars...
Otherwise can't imagine tyre width to be that different and bodywork should be exactly the same for all models. As you said underbody might somewhat contribute???
The two petrol engines are even worse surprisingly. Hopefully the experts will pitch in.

Post #390109 Sat Jul 27 2013 8:04am
essexfarmer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Personally, after owning the 4.4 V8 FF and the V6 RRS, I don't care how it stacks up on paper, if I was going to buy one I would wait for the V8 12MY RRS Orkney Grey HSE Lux
12MY FF Santorini Black VSE

Post #390113 Sat Jul 27 2013 8:36am
Dickie

United Kingdom 

I was also thinking of waiting for the V8, which I've heard is likely to be announced towards the end of the year and deliveries in Feb/Mar 14. For one I don't really fancy waiting that long but secondly have you driven the SDV6? It is genuinely impressive - and no slouch!

It is hugely faster than the 3.6 TDV8 I used to have in my old Sport and quite a bit quicker than the TDV6 in my current L405. I drove the 4.4 in the Vogue before I got mine and whilst it is quicker it is mainly noticeable in the general grunt and mid-range torque. I honestly believe the 3L is almost as quick but it just has to use the gearbox a bit more and change down that extra cog maybe on kick-down.

Interestingly with the SDV6's 0-60 time of 6.8s it's quicker than the original Supercharged Sport!

Post #390114 Sat Jul 27 2013 8:36am
essexfarmer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

As I said Dickie, it's my personal opinion, I just love V8's, I really wanted one when I bought my current sport but they weren't available. 12MY RRS Orkney Grey HSE Lux
12MY FF Santorini Black VSE

Post #390120 Sat Jul 27 2013 8:56am
Dickie

United Kingdom 

Don't get me wrong - there is nothing quite like a V8; I sold my V8 Vantage Roadster to buy the Vogue (as needed back seats!). Nothing else beats the noise - apart from maybe a V12! If the v8 was available now, I'd have it - but then that'd be a heart decision not a head decision. If an accountant was to compare the two then the V6 is the no brainer.

Post #390122 Sat Jul 27 2013 9:04am
Tboner

England 

The V8 against the V6 is like chalk and cheese in the real world.

Watch the weights as well weights based on a base spec model add in the extra's diff ball game , also it's not about the 0-60 it's about the 50-70 V8 just does it at an amazing rate , V6 you have to plan rather more and does not take off anything like the V8. Also towing SDv8 just tows the V6 has to work far more. both D & P v8's come with full arc system v6 does not , hence why the V8 models are pushed as the performance end of the range.

The numbers do not tell the real story. 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #390126 Sat Jul 27 2013 9:22am
andman

Re: To V8 or not

Cpd1 wrote:
andman wrote:

Drove the V8 in the new FFRR, lovely sound, plenty of power. However looking at the spec sheet, the V8 is 283kgs heavier than the SDV6, that's similar to carrying 4 adults, mostly over the bonnet too! Only 0.3 sec faster to 60mph.
Price diff likely to be Ģ4-5k too if you look at the FFRR( Ģ7k but comes with Dynamic Response). Think the SDV6 is the better compromise. Alternatively the Hybrid might be worth looking at but unclear when available and ls likely to be heavy.

As for Pimento, seen red interiors on other cars and can look fab. See you have the new Boxster on order, in the 911 the red is beautiful but certainly not to everybody's taste, a bit like marmite. I think in pictures it always look brighter but not going to be easy to find one to look at it early on. I went safe Ivory with Ebony seats to try to avoid the high maintenance as mentioned by Dickie.

Click image to enlarge

Thanks CPD.....I think the mid range grunt and the growl of the V8 might just get me to wait..... and if your right on pricing and dynamic response is included it could be a bit of a bargain.....( well sort of!!!)
Juryīs out on pimenta...... think iīm going to have to see it in the flesh to have the courage to order it ... otherwise itīll have to be the safe option 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #390223 Sat Jul 27 2013 7:11pm
Cpd1

took a pic of the pimento rugby ball they had as part of the RRS display, was trying to capture the colour, challenging as tends to get over exposed but not as bright red as you might have seen in the press pictures. Also see tan interior picture to give you some sense.
It is a bit on the orange side but nevertheless nice.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #390530 Wed Jul 31 2013 4:11pm
Baron

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Just got back from Coworth Park. They had 56 new models there Bow down

I am going to wait for the V8

The V6 isnt quicker in real road terms than my half ton heavier original. The fuel consumption was very poor too. We managed only 21mpg on ordinary roads and driving. Mine does 24!!!

Not sure I like the new interior either. I would like the 2010 model interior plus new shape and 4.4 V8 bad boy Thumbs Up  SDV8 vogue SE.
Corris grey and ivory leather + most of the toys.
Limited edition RRS model number 0001 Smile
Gone TDV8 RR Sport. Never to be forgotten.

Wife has an i8 BMW

Post #390551 Wed Jul 31 2013 6:49pm
andman

Thanks Cpd....really appreciate you posting those...That pimeto looks a lot closer to burgandy.. and certainly better than on the configurator........
I will probably go safe and espresso... unless I can see one in the flesh... and really like it....
Test Driving new model tomorrow.... boring black and black.... and hopefully iīll
know whether iīm holding out for the V8 or not.... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #390561 Wed Jul 31 2013 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>