RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Latest SATNAV disc?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sonnyjim

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue
Latest SATNAV disc?

Purchased a 2006 RRS S/C this week and only found out it had no satnav discs loaded in

So looking on ebay what is the latest year discs that will work in my car.

Also does it have a TMC feature installed?

... And where is the best place to buy, also will copied discs damage the laser in the player?

Cheers

Post #389260 Thu Jul 18 2013 9:12pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Just to say links to copy satnav DVDs will be removed

The best place to buy is from those that don't break copywriter laws. Use a dealer like duckworths etc

Post #389268 Thu Jul 18 2013 10:33pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

If you bought from a dealer he is legally obliged to provide you with a working sat nav unless he told you the disc was missing. He might even have it because a lot of dealers remove the discs whilst vehicles are on the forecourt to stop them from being stolen.

If it was a private sale; then just for information of course Whistle - no... copied discs don't damage your laser nor do they 'wear out'. LR charge £180 for a disc which is just ridiculous especially as they are not even up to date. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #389291 Fri Jul 19 2013 11:36am
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Copied discs are reported not to work properly, and you should not use this site to recommend that people encourage copyright infringment Rolling Eyes Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #389301 Fri Jul 19 2013 12:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rsandsel

England 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Hi,

The item i referred to in my previous (now deleted post) on amazon, is reported as being OEM Distribution, which is original equipment manufacturer, so not a copy. It gives the item Model Number and Manufacturer part number within the description. I work for Amazon and checked the item physically in the warehouse, seeing it on a shelf is what prompted me to look at buying one, and it had all the correct copywright and licensing codings on the box and disc itself laser etched onto it.

If what i receive turns out to be a copy then i will hold my hands up, but this is reported and advertised as being genuine OEM Distribution material.

I always look to buy genuine material not copies, there was no encouragement for copyright infringement or recommendation for such items.

Rich

Post #389306 Fri Jul 19 2013 1:09pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Rich,

Someone calling themselves "OEM Distribution" is not proof that it's an original item.

What you are referring to is far too cheap to be genuine.

The box image was a poor home made mockup and not an image of the real box.

They are being sold by a third party and not by Amazon so I cannot see how you can check it is on the shelf at Amazon's warehouse.

I am VERY suspicious as you are new to the site and promoting copied discs Rolling Eyes Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #389307 Fri Jul 19 2013 1:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rsandsel

Point taken Martin, i'll shut up until i get the item and can judge it then. Smile

Post #389315 Fri Jul 19 2013 2:50pm
sonnyjim

Thanks for the replys guys.

When i asked about copied discs, I was more worried about being sold one hen advertised as oem and then it damaging my dvd nav, this happens a lot to the Audi R-NSE system.

So what is the latest upto date discs?

Post #389395 Sat Jul 20 2013 9:48am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

If you search on the LR official site there is a link to navigation updates. From memory the last update was something like 2012 but it is not up to date and LR have said there will be no further updates to the DVD version. Bearing in mind the standard sat nav is not very good and has a hopelessly unintuitive UI, there is a good case for just using a smartphone app instead. More accurate, faster, free updates and easier to use - oh and it doesn't shout at you over loud music.

The only downsides are the need to mount the 'phone on the dash and the smaller screen. As for the choice of apps I think most reviews conclude Tom Tom is the best with the less expensive Co Pilot a close second. There is even a free version of CoPilot. Loads of new nav apps appearing though so that info may be out of date now. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #389401 Sat Jul 20 2013 11:03am
BKHK

Australia 

I would like to see a really nice RRS iPad mini install. It would be much better than the OEM sat nav, would stream music, allow internet use etc. I think the days of OEM installed stand alone sat nav must be coming to an end soon?

Post #389405 Sat Jul 20 2013 11:50am
Rsandsel

OK this is me holding my hands up, what i received was a pirated copy, a damn good one, everything looked legit but the laser etched security code was missing off the disc which was the giveaway. Reported it and they are removing the vendors stock from their website. I have also returned the item to the vendor for a full refund and contacted LR, must have caught someone on a good day as they are sending me an update for just £50 as a result of me refusing the copy and reporting it.

@Martin - you were right, i was wrong. Life's an education. Mr. Green Pro-Drive Ltd Edition Subaru Impreza
RRS 4.2Ltr SC V8

Post #390046 Fri Jul 26 2013 3:30pm
Beancounter_74

England 

^^^ Respect for being honest and karma sorted you out with a decent priced LR original Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #390048 Fri Jul 26 2013 3:36pm
sonnyjim

Just ordersd a oem one from Duckworth

Post #390057 Fri Jul 26 2013 5:05pm
michealewk

How much are the real discs from landrover

Post #390183 Sat Jul 27 2013 3:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1