Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > My experience of the new RRS - Off-Road / Press Launch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue
My experience of the new RRS - Off-Road / Press Launch

Hi Guys,

I had an interesting day today down at Eastnor LRE. I timed my visit pretty well as LR are doing the press launch for the new RRS and today it was the Russian motoring press.

Long story short, I spent a good 4 hours driving around the off road course in the new RRS (SDV6 HSE Dynamic with all the toys) - one of the first to be able to do this. I have to say, it is a seriously capable 4x4....
On the road, the engine didn't feel massively different from my MY13.5 Black edition to be honest, though you do notice the weight saving work. when you get to throwing it around at higher speeds. It's certainly got a bit more cabin space, particularly in the back.....but I have to admit, it's lost much of the styling charm I love about mine. It feels like many of the other premium brand cars out there, it's lost that air of sophistication & purpose (For me!)

Off road though, it is very good indeed. I put it through some real tough stuff and it didn't blink. The Terrain Response 2 is excellent....particularly the fact it is fully automated if you want it to be. There were also some pretty deep mud ruts that previous sports have got stuck in, but the additional height (2 stage extended off road height) allows it to make swift progress. However, the silent functioning Hill Decent Control was a little unnerving on the bigger hills....you can't hear it working at all! So overall, I am very impressed, though there were a few glitches in the PDC sensors when off road!!

As an extra Brucie bonus, when we got back to the centre......they let us go around the roads in the other press cars.
The Supercharged V6 & Supercharged V8 - both in Autobiography guise......one with a particularly choice interior!! On the road, these are simply awesome.....shame the V6 won't be available here, as the V8 running costs are just too much for me to bear!!!

But I have to say, the drive home in my car didn't feel at all shabby after spending a day in these cars! So i'm more than happy!!

Hope this is of interest.....any questions on my MY14 experiences, ask away!

Pics below....

The V6 Supercharged HSE Dynamic...

Our SDV6 HSE Dynamic for off-roading...

L to R - V6 Supercharged HSE Dynamic, V6 super Autobiography, 2x V8 super autobiography

V8 Supercharged Autobiography x 2

Lovely Colour Scheme for a V8 Supercharged Autobiography.....???

I was more than happy with this on the way home!!!
 Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #388947 Mon Jul 15 2013 9:28pm
mse

United Kingdom 

That is exactly my impression I've now spent some time in them and yes there are improved, but not massively and certainly the 13my like yours and mine aren't that far behind or that shabby.

According to my lre friend the current sport will go everywhere the new sport goes...the big difference is the dynamic now has an extra locking diff which the current sport is an option seldom selected.

I've not driven the v6 supercharged...but the have made the v8 sound cooler Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #388961 Mon Jul 15 2013 10:22pm
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

The V6 supercharged was really interesting actually.....it's a shame it's not for this market as I am sure there are petrol heads out there like me who would consider it.....

To be honest the V8 sounded lovely....but the V6 really wasn't much different in the sound department!
I have a video, but no idea how to upload it. Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #388963 Mon Jul 15 2013 10:30pm
mse

United Kingdom 

The sound is because all the sound is simulated/engineered Wink Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery