RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > All-new Range Rover Sport ride and drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

edamball

All-new Range Rover Sport ride and drive

So I spent Sunday morning at the Design and Engineering Centre as a guest of Land Rover to ride and drive the all-new Range Rover Sport. To be honest, I was not sure what to expect having never been up close and personal with the current car. I’ve always viewed it as, no offence, the ultimate nouveau rich Chelsea tractor. At least, until the Evoque came along...

After arriving at the car park we were chauffeured in a 2103 Range Rover Autobiography through the site that prior to passing into civilian ownership was RAF Gaydon and home to V-bomber squadrons, and today contains the Heritage Motor Centre museum, the headquarters and factory of Aston Martin, and the Jaguar Land Rover Gaydon Centre.

A welcoming cup of coffee and ten minutes to drool over parked Range Range Autobiography, Range Rover Sport and Jaguar F-Type V8 S in the glorious sunshine and we were ushered inside to a dark and air-conditioned auditorium for an introduction and briefing.

The audio video system ran a short and exciting film clip with a thumping Propellerhead's soundtrack - perfectly whipping up anticipation as behind staggered screens rotating in opposite directions allowing only teasingly brief glimpses, the new Range Rover Sport was revealed.

We were told of the morning’s agenda - an unaccompanied 45 min on road drive, return to the D&E Centre to be split into two groups of four cars for accompanied track demonstration and then drives, and then unaccompanied drives through the off road section following a disembodied guide over radio leading in a Discovery 4.

With that we were led to our first car of the day, car #6 an HSE in Corris Grey.

I gave my friend the first drive and settled into the comfortably hugging and supportive leather seats. We headed out, third in a convoy of eight RRS and wound our way through the Warwickshire countryside in the glorious sunshine.

We had been told that the design team had made the car more Range Rover and more sport and I would agree. Everything about the cabin oozed quality; the soft opening glovebox, the stitching detail, the trim around the Meridian loudspeakers and the light leather interior gave a feeling of upmarket luxury and a light, spacious environment.

We let traffic get slightly ahead of us on some long straights in order to put the car through some sprint paces. Wow. It responded immediately and eagerly to every touch of the pedal, smoothly progressing through the eight speed automatic gearbox.

After what felt the longest twenty minutes we arrived at the driver changeover way point and I got behind the wheel.

I loved the drivers position. The steering wheel felt nice to grip. I have never liked the FL2 steering wheel - it’s too thin and flimsy. The virtual display was really nice. Both the speedometer and tachometer change dynamically only showing the mph and rpm relevant, so at 50 mph you get an illuminated sector of 40 - 60. I liked this. At the bottom of display was a little graphic of an accelerator pedal with displaying a response to pressure applied according to driving style - a bit like those test-your-strength punch bags at the fairground. Got a few satisfying reds...

Was pleased to have got the return leg of the drive. The sat nav showed the route as being far more twisty turny so I was able to get real measure of the handling. It is great. There was barely a hint of body roll through corners, a real change from the wallowing I remember from my D3. The tuners have a done real good job here.

All too soon we were back at HQ and driving back through the compound, excitedly pointing out every camouflaged car we saw, wondering what they hid.

With no delay we were led into one of a fleet of waiting Dynamic Autobiography supercharged 5.0-litre V8’s with our guide, Ian at the wheel.

He started the car and it automatically blipped the throttle producing a grin inducing roar. Apparently this is programmed in order to quickly get oil around the system and not just to sound cool. Apparently...

Off we went to the proving track where the first of his demonstrations was the Elk Test. Developed by Volvo and undertaken by every car as part of NCAP ratings, this involves barreling toward an inflatable wall (no elks were harmed in this demo) at 50 mph before swerving at the last minute. 50 mph is to get NCAP rating. We would be doing it at 70 mph.

Off we leapt with the throaty roar filling our ears and seconds later were thrown right then left as we safely avoided our imaginary elk before gradually slowing down and turning around for Ian’s next party piece - the adaptive power steering under ABS braking.

Boom! We were off again heading at 100 mph toward another inflatable wall before Ian planted his foot on the brakes and we slowed and steered safely alongside the obstacle, stopping a full car length before another inflatable ahead of us in our new chosen lane. It’s one of those moments you hope will never happen in real life, looking up form updating your Facebook status to find your lane suddenly stationary but it’s reassuring to know the car is capable of looking after such an idiot.

Then it was our turn behind the wheel and a competition... Leave the starting cones as fast as possible, slam on the brakes at the next cones and stop in as shorter distance as possible.

We stuck the cars into Sport mode and grinned as the virtual display counters changed from gentle white to red. Red for danger!

Between us both we stopped from in excess of 70 mph in around 35 metres. Ian did it 20.

Then through a slalom of cones as fast as you dare. Here we achieved about 110 mph.

Then onto the track or unregulated four-lane motorway as Ian described it. Lane one is limited to 50 mph or less, the others unrestricted speed, with lanes three and four exclusively for overtaking.

We let a FFRR long wheel base pootle past and then went for it and like any good BMW driver, ignored the slow moving lane and out into lane two. We each got a lap with Ian cajoling us more speed, more speed until we hit 155 mph and then were begrudgingly asked to leave the track and head back to base with beaming grins where another group of dusty HSE’s were waiting for the off road section.

Our new guide AJ introduced himself and then jumped into his D4 and off we went playing follow the leader as he guided us over the radio.

We joined a rough track and after selecting the low-range gear box, explored the steep inclines, banks, rocky crawls and descents without having to do anything but point and go. The car has auto terrain response setting with constantly optimizes the car for the conditions you are silly enough to put it in. And with the hill descent you get that always slightly disconcerting experience of not having to press ANY pedals and just point down the hills and let the car effortlessly take the strain.

Having done a few LRE drives now, I never fail to be amazed and impressed at just what these cars are capable of.

Again a change over half way through and after 45 mins we were heading back to the reception area, thrilled, satisfied and hungry.

A very nice light lunch was served while we all shared our thoughts and highlights, and pitied the young guy with the astonishingly pretty girlfriend for being under 28 and so not allowed to drive the supercharged V8 - but hey, he gets to go home with the astonishingly pretty girlfriend so every cloud etc.

And that was it. A quick clamber over the F-type, RRS and RR Autobiography again, and we headed for a waiting D4 HSE Luxury and back to the car park and home.

In all it was an awesome morning and thanks to all at LR if they read this for their generous hospitality. I came away with my perception changed toward the all-new Range Rover Sport. If - and it’s a big if - I could ever stretch to one, I would not hesitate to buy one. It ticked all the the boxes for me. And although I would want the supercharged V8, with the SDV6 3.0 returning more mpg than my FL2, I would have more chance of getting this past my manager at work, if not my bank manager!

Thanks for your time reading this. I'm back off to Freel2.com where I belong. For now...

Last edited by edamball on Mon Jul 15 2013 9:27pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #388944 Mon Jul 15 2013 9:01pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Great write up Thumbs Up

Any piccies of the girlfriend...... Whistle FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #388945 Mon Jul 15 2013 9:11pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Enjoyed the read Thumbs Up

Post #388946 Mon Jul 15 2013 9:14pm
edamball

Bradders wrote:
Any piccies of the girlfriend...... Whistle

Thanks for the kind comments.

Sadly all cameras had stickers put over the lenses. Not sure if this was because of all the top secret cars or the top totty girlfriend!

Post #388948 Mon Jul 15 2013 9:29pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Bow down Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #388950 Mon Jul 15 2013 9:43pm
big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thank you for your write up. It was very interesting to read and very discriptive.

I can't wait for mine now! MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #388952 Mon Jul 15 2013 10:02pm
Chrisr1806

England 

I know you from somewhere Edamball. Wink Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #388956 Mon Jul 15 2013 10:15pm
mse

United Kingdom 

There's no doubt compared to a freelander it's awesome, compared to the current sport...it's good...as I mentioned a week or so ago.

Apparently not everyone makes 155mph??! Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #388957 Mon Jul 15 2013 10:15pm
oldcro

Scotland 

Great write up, I fancy an HSE Dynamic even more now. Thumbs Up

Post #388974 Tue Jul 16 2013 1:43am
edamball

Chrisr1806 wrote:
I know you from somewhere Edamball. Wink

Hi Chris! Just tyre kicking here. You?

mse wrote:
Apparently not everyone makes 155mph??!

I know mse! What a waste of someone else's engine and petrol! I had to take our guide Ian's word for it - I didn't dare look down (and at that speed probably had my eyes tight shut in prayer!). He also said that as far as he knew the supercharged V8 would be released unlimited and LR would monitor developments and restrict if necessary. Obviously, don't try to find out on the way home from the dealership!

Post #388976 Tue Jul 16 2013 6:52am
Chrisr1806

England 

Yep, just thought I would be nosey. Laughing I have an account on the rest of martins other forums but I have only posted on here and Babyrr. Wink Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #388993 Tue Jul 16 2013 11:49am
mse

United Kingdom 

mse wrote:
Apparently not everyone makes 155mph??!

I know mse! What a waste of someone else's engine and petrol! I had to take our guide Ian's word for it - I didn't dare look down (and at that speed probably had my eyes tight shut in prayer!). He also said that as far as he knew the supercharged V8 would be released unlimited and LR would monitor developments and restrict if necessary. Obviously, don't try to find out on the way home from the dealership![/quote]

Got 155 easy (top of the speedo) i did look down, its certainly not the fastest ive been in my life and its not my first trip round that airstrip either!!!! Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #389026 Tue Jul 16 2013 6:33pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

Well I made 155mph, the trick being to take the bend before the straight as fast as possible accelerating whilst still in the bend (which is unnerving), Ian reckoned he got just over 160mph when he was playing. The shock to me was the gearbox changing up into 6th gear at 142 mph, so another two gears to go.

I could listen to the engine all day.

I saw first saw the sport at the Hurlingham club and didn't like it, it seemed too small inside. THe cars I drove today had the cream interior and one had the full length glass roof. This has transformed my view of it and I love it as these changes make it light and airy.

The bad news is the price, it is still too much of a hike on the current outgoing model. They try and claim its not much more, but this time around everything is an extra (and you have to have everything such as the mirrors that flash if a vehicle is in your blind spot, the active parking and dynamic control - which if nothing else turns the instruments a nice red colour) 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #389363 Fri Jul 19 2013 7:49pm
Dickie

United Kingdom 

Did the afternoon at Gaydon today. Totally agree with all the above about the running of the day and findings. The "off-road" part was quite poor though. To be fair it isn't an off-road track but more just a testing area but didn't really show off the capability at all - much unlike Eastnor Castle's course.

On road though was simply physics defying. The rate at which the 5L V8 both gains and loses speed is immense. Incredibly brave of LR allowing random punters throw the cars around slalom courses and max chat speed/brake tests! Certainly did the job though, it was actually a slight driving disappointment getting back in my L405 Vogue to drive home! The interior of the Sport, whilst still sumptuous, has had the accountants shave bits off here and there though. Not immediately noticeable but there's more plastic in the AB Sport whereas the base model Vogue has leather everywhere. I guess that's where the extra £20K goes!

Can't wait for my AB Sport to arrive now in October, although think I'm going to change the interior from black and Pimento (red) to just black or black and Lunar (grey). Not sure I'm brave enough to risk a marmite interior come resale time.

Post #389375 Fri Jul 19 2013 10:30pm
mse

United Kingdom 

We all could have done 155 plus, i noticed the needle doesnt seem to move past 155...so it gets to the end and stops...so who knows

Quote:
Did the afternoon at Gaydon today. Totally agree with all the above about the running of the day and findings. The "off-road" part was quite poor though. To be fair it isn't an off-road track but more just a testing area but didn't really show off the capability at all - much unlike Eastnor Castle's course.

Ive been round gaydon many times...this place can really test the off road handling...the third world tracks and harshness test areas werent used, they are cool

I still didnt feel the step down between my 13 sport and the new one when i got in it though Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #389396 Sat Jul 20 2013 9:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>