RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Reflections
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

mse

United Kingdom 
Reflections

We have spent all day driving and being around the new sport today...and it's mixed reviews, other than a great day.

No doubt the car is a great car - we found it certainly handles well. Overall it is improved, but jumping straight back into my current sport and driving the same roads the improvements aren't earth shattering, the steering is definitely lighter and it's nippy (a little more possibly than the my13 but not massive). The interior layout, like the evoque and the new full fat is better in small ways...but that comes from the higher age of the design.

It's certainly clear the high spec brings with it the improvements...it's funny not one was a base HSE, the HSE's we were in had a fair few options on it and the autobio was very nice with all the toys...they dynamic had a number of additional options.

The seven seats are simply a waste of time and engineering.

I noticed last week the boot issues on the my12/13 are fixed now allowing you to open and close in all circumstances.there are subtle improvements like that. Eg the sat nav

The TFT display is cool, just like it is in the ffrr...it takes some getting used to all it's option. The stereo wasnt as good as the harmon in mine we both fealt...unless it was a dab thing. That said the none standard tv etc was brilliant working in all locations etc

On the track and in supercharged form it was phenomenal...but that most likely was the supercharged bringing a lot to the party. It does handle exceptionally well, I can't remeber the same things in the current to be able to compare, but I would image it's massively improved even if its just the torque vectoring...the supercharged is quick. (152mph on the track maybe 155)

Some of the things (like bringing the noise into the cab) I think gives a false impression of improvement on some things.

Off road with all the toys it's just as good, if not better, the rear diff locks more than the central diff...but we couldn't really push it

Having the higher profile tyres on all rim sizes also helps a number of things I think, including filling the arches as well as improving the ride.

I also found out the reason for the false intakes...and they are all false...apparently people also wanted them!!

Overall it's grown on me and if you are having a dynamic with a fair number of options or an autobio, it will be a great car, doesnt always detract from or improve on the current massively for a good amount of the normal use, but its a great car. It needs the options to really show improvements, I don't think a base dynamic is enough though!!...and that's one of the reasons I'm sure I won't be buying a new sport. It certainly is more large evoque rather than baby ffrr...but it does carry the brand through and you can see it.

I could probably write more on it, but I've bored myself...one lesson, the 2 occaional seats are just that...really a waste of time effeort, engineering and money...unless you are going to put 2 10years in there!

I might post some pics later Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #387984 Sat Jul 06 2013 6:02pm
big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thank you very much for that. I found it very informative, and certainly happy that I have went for the dynamic.

Also went for the 5 seater as I don't need the extra 2 and want it ASAP!

You mightn't see much difference in the '13 but I'm sure ill notice a big difference in my '10

Please do fire up your pics

Ross MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #387989 Sat Jul 06 2013 7:56pm
mse

United Kingdom 

The jump from a 10 or 11 to a 12/13 was large - so i think the jump from a 10/11 to the new sport would be large significant I agree.

It really rammed home to me that you need to spend £70k minimum (HSE Dynamic + Options) to get something that will be noticeably better than the outgoing HSE a base new sport HSE needs options to rival the outgoing HSE, being lighter with different steering isnt enough...i didnt get in my 13MY and think OMG this is S Censored t i need to sell it now and buy a new one (even though i will be changing it most likely)

Handling was good on road but felt (other than the lighter steering) very similar to the outgoing...the car is however lighter and higher profile wheels will help suspension feel. MPG improvements real world at 38 seems doable (we were getting 9 in the 5.0SC!) an the reduced CO2 has to be good from a tax perspective.

The supercharged is a bruiser and like i said on a track, the supercharged autobio I'm sure is hand's down better than the outgoing, i loved that...but the road v track argument.... Confused the SC will always be my favourite but im not wasting £70k so i certainly wont waste £81K!

I have some photos...unfortunately some i thought i took dont seem to be there...none out on the tests im afraid Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #387991 Sat Jul 06 2013 8:13pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge
 Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #387992 Sat Jul 06 2013 8:20pm
big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I actually really like that pic of the range rover family...

I've gone for the dynamic with a few extras and its about 72k.

Is wild! But seeing it there in Santorini black it does look great MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #387996 Sat Jul 06 2013 10:18pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I hate how the FFRR and RRS are dropped in to access mode in that photo. Just looks "drug dealer chav" to me. They're 4x4s with decent ground clearance, designed for a job of work. They should stop trying to make them look like sports cars... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #388012 Sun Jul 07 2013 12:51am
mse

United Kingdom 

I dont know if they were in access mode, they probably were - but dont underestimate the increased profile of the tyres and how that fills the arches as well as improving the ride. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #388038 Sun Jul 07 2013 11:39am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Good write up Mike Bow down

On the lighter steering comment - I have gone from MY10 to MY13 and prefer the heavier steering and feedback - the MY10 was too light Sad

The new FFRR tailgate opens and closes with key so glad they have carried that over Cool

Reading your post I'm glad I bought the MY13 now because the extra cost for the MY14 would be hard to live with if the improvements are not "earth shattering" Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Last edited by muddywheels on Sun Jul 07 2013 3:43pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #388040 Sun Jul 07 2013 11:56am
mse

United Kingdom 

No problem...the earth shattering point is the one for me/us...im not saying the new car isn't good...but its good when it has all the toys and great in the supercharged version and outstanding on a track.

There are lots of features which are nice, good, or excellent even...but most seemed none standard anyway certainly not in the HSE or even HSE Dynamic versions, which means to compare them isnt a fair comparison

There are lots of little fixes/bug fixes like the tailgate that have carried forward which is great to see, but lots of things missing from the current HSE...i do like the large screen in the front.

Ask if there are any specifics that i can feedback on...i might spec up a good entry cost version to compare with a good entry cost current (eg HSE current) and see for interest. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #388041 Sun Jul 07 2013 12:16pm
mse

United Kingdom 

It would seem £74k gets you to the point it starts getting good like the current HSE is now, so by my maths that £14,000 extra (adding the few extra options to a HSE cost). Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #388042 Sun Jul 07 2013 12:22pm
simonsti

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

I should hope it will feel pretty special compared to a 2006 HSE 2.7. 2014 Nara Bronze SDV6
GONE TDV6 HSE RRS in Giverny green,Ebony interior, Side steps,Tints, PTI, Tow pack, mud flaps, Side strips and Dynamics pack.

Post #388051 Sun Jul 07 2013 2:33pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

It would feel pretty special going to a MY10 onwards for a lot less money Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #388052 Sun Jul 07 2013 3:45pm
simonsti

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

I never thought it would be that different going from my 2006 to a 2011-on so decided to wait for the all new model.
Hopefully will tow my Elddis super crusader a little better too! 2014 Nara Bronze SDV6
GONE TDV6 HSE RRS in Giverny green,Ebony interior, Side steps,Tints, PTI, Tow pack, mud flaps, Side strips and Dynamics pack.

Post #388063 Sun Jul 07 2013 6:37pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Going from 11 to 13 was a jump, improving certain bits each time, but the per 2010 was a big jump I recall Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #388064 Sun Jul 07 2013 6:39pm
corrisgrey

United Kingdom 

mse wrote:

Ask if there are any specifics that i can feedback on...i might spec up a good entry cost version to compare with a good entry cost current (eg HSE current) and see for interest.

Very interesting. If I do buy a new RRS it will not be used to pull anything and it won't be used for bundu bashing or track days, so my needs are modest! A full use spec would be most useful as I can only get my ideal HSE up to £60960 Smile

Post #388090 Mon Jul 08 2013 8:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>