RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Panoramic sun roof.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

corrisgrey

United Kingdom 
Panoramic sun roof.

I am trying to make up my mind whether to specify a glass ceiling. The interior will be ivory or Almond so it should feel light and airy with a solid roof. The extra weight and complexity are putting me off. Have any experienced FFRR and RRS owners had sunroof problems?

Post #386845 Mon Jun 24 2013 5:20pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Not had the sun roof myself, but if I have a light interior with a light head linning I do not see the need for the sun roof.
Different if all dark interior as it can feel a bit claustrophobic. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #386846 Mon Jun 24 2013 5:29pm
Dickie

United Kingdom 

I've currently got a 2013 FFRR with Ivory interior and I specc'd a panoramic roof. Definitely glad I did as it's quite amazing and I think sadly people will expect it come resale.

I've ordered an AB Sport so comes as standard on that!

Post #386913 Tue Jun 25 2013 8:47am
corrisgrey

United Kingdom 

Dickie wrote:
I've currently got a 2013 FFRR with Ivory interior and I specc'd a panoramic roof. Definitely glad I did as it's quite amazing and I think sadly people will expect it come resale.

I've ordered an AB Sport so comes as standard on that!

Thanks. Several Evoque owners have suffered from panoramic roof rattles and some insurance companies will not cover roof glass breakage. I have never had a sun roof so I'll keep the option open until the last moment, but extra weight above the C of G and the chances of a roof problem are swaying me against it.

Post #386918 Tue Jun 25 2013 9:12am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

I'm putting it in mine...

Interesting note on insurers... 2022 P440e AB

Post #386927 Tue Jun 25 2013 9:48am
mse

United Kingdom 

The last thing i would want on a sport, evoque or disco is a glass roof...so many reasons why:
Heat
Sun Glare
Leaks
not to mention the irrational thoughts of safety strength, visability etc Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #386970 Tue Jun 25 2013 4:50pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Having only briefly sampled the panoramic roof on the Evoque and FFRR, I quite liked it but... weight, cost, the inevitable LR reliability issue (leaks in this case) and the fact that it's not covered by glass insurance would all make me think long and hard about having it fitted. I'd probably rather spend the cash on something else more useful - like a tow bar. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #386973 Tue Jun 25 2013 5:09pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I've had a Evoque for a couple of days, found it a very warm car when I got in it, even with the blind closed

Post #386985 Tue Jun 25 2013 7:47pm
mse

United Kingdom 

The glass insurance point is a very valid one i hadnt thought of...so easy to damage it Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #386990 Tue Jun 25 2013 8:34pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The new Vogue I had over weekend had panoramic roof and deployable steps - we loved them but I would not pay £2k each to have them - especially when you come to change and lose all the money you spent on extras Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #386992 Tue Jun 25 2013 9:00pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Ive had sunroof's in both my sports and find it very useful, i use it all the time, but i always close the blind if parked for any length of time in the sun if sunroof is shut. Infact, i close the blind whenever the roof isn't being used. Ive never experienced any of your issues though mse. Wink

Post #386996 Tue Jun 25 2013 9:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

muddywheels wrote:
The new Vogue I had over weekend had panoramic roof and deployable steps - we loved them but I would not pay £2k each to have them - especially when you come to change and lose all the money you spent on extras Sad

But if you like the extras and will use them all the time through your ownership then you haven't lost anything - you've gained their use for 2, 3 or more years.

If you only ever buy with an eye on resale then you'll never have the vehicle you actually want. And that is a waste of all of your money you spent on it... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #387021 Tue Jun 25 2013 11:03pm
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

total waste of time in the evqoue we had, was a novelty at first then never really got used.

I wont be specing it in the sport.

Post #387024 Tue Jun 25 2013 11:08pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I used to change every 2 years and lose £1000's on extras so stopped adding them and tried to buy a standard trim with level of bits I would like except last year when we bought a mini with £3000 of extras and when we sold it after a short time we lost £3000 reinforcing my belief Sad

JLR were well spec'd in recent years but seem to be going down the BMW route of everything is extra so I would have to keep it 5 years to justify the depreciation vs enjoyment for some of the standard kit now classed as extras - I planned to keep my last RRS for 5 years just like swmbo's FL1 but after the issues and the ramp incident that didn't happen Evil or Very Mad

If money was no object I'd spec until it looked like a Xmas tree but in reality things like a panoramic roof and deployable side steps is 2 winter holidays in a luxury villa on the algarve with flights and car hire and I know which I will enjoy more Laughing Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #387027 Tue Jun 25 2013 11:24pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Ady 555 wrote:
Ive had sunroof's in both my sports and find it very useful, i use it all the time, but i always close the blind if parked for any length of time in the sun if sunroof is shut. Infact, i close the blind whenever the roof isn't being used. Ive never experienced any of your issues though mse. Wink

Sun roof's are different to the glass roof we are talking about...but put it this way...ALL land rovers i have owned with a sun roof (mainly discos) have had water ingress issue at some point. Ive seen (infact had a photo of) a discovery 3 or 4 with a panoramic rood being water tested at a dealer for leaks, it was new!

Look at the posts on here and D3 about sunroof leaks...granted sometimes its blocked drain tubes.

But this only reinforces my view about the problems with them.

In terms of heat etc - on the disco, leaving them open keeps the car almost cold...on the sport the white roof is good at that...the glass roof cars ive been in have certainly been warm in the sun and because the blinds dont reflect heat, the car warms up - so ill stick by that Whistle Wink

I havent seen any damage to the glass roof though Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #387052 Wed Jun 26 2013 9:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>