RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > The final post sounded on the TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue
The final post sounded on the TDV8

Go get a bottle of wine, a box of kleenex and enjoy...
Ok so the entire saga goes:
First Sport was bought May 2005, after three year ownership of 4.4 Vogue which never went wrong. The first time I plugged my trailer into the socket, the gearbox freaked out and could never be sorted, so at month three, I demanded and got another TDV6 by which time they were coming through with added goodies such as active ride and headlights. I paid £7600 for this "upgrade" and to be honest, Hunters/Inchcape took the p**s but I didn't have the time to fight or argue. A month later the TDV8 was announced and while at Deslers, getting yet another problem sorted, I ordered a V8 for February delivery, a six month wait. The following month I speced the car and February 2007 came and went and in mid March I got a call saying V8 was ready, so I paid my money, a further £20000 and took delivery. A few days later, the car was back in the dealers with what sounded like a serious suspension failure, yes the knock, headlights that wobbled and made you feel sick plus a few other "teething problem". And so started the bunggy relationship with my car being in a dealer for a week or two then returned, then back then returned. At seven months old, and numerous lights, ball joints, seat frames, a steering wheel, a complete dash and a steering rack, plus a recall for something or other, the car went in for a service and look at the dash which was peeling on the plastic bit between dash and screen. The car came back that night and shed 70 litres of diesel on the floor all over my newly painted garage floor and out the door on the brick pavers. Car went back on low loader. Faulty fuel filter to blame and no offer of cleaning the mess up other than man in land rover (land rover rescue) with roll of paper.
The car was then kept in garage for seven weeks while they waited for a dash chassis number for yet another dash replacement. After eight weeks, I get a call saying car is ready and off I go to get it. Didn't get out of the yard before management light came on. Quick computer check reveals turbo gone, so put all my crap back in loan Freelander and leave. Two weeks later I have had enough and ask for refund. A meeting is set up with LR area manager, a Technical manager and Service manager. The car at this point is in two parts having A turbo fitted even though I ask that both are done as I don't want an 8 month old car taken to bits again! No can't be done as only one has failed, at 8647 miles. The car is eventually put back together and accepted back due to LR saying on record, that they would look after me, for lifetime of car ownership blah blah blah. At this point I went out and spent 24000 grand on an L200 so I had a tow/work car available.
Day after return, and the car won't start, battery is stone dead. Phone rescue and man in Land Rover comes out and can't get car to start. Eventually it does with a santas grotto array of lights on dash and again it's flat bed time. A week later and the car is ready for collection, cause this time was tech not fitting battery box correctly and ecu under battery full of rain water. Gearbox and suspension I think.
During this period ball joints and drop links were being changed on a monthly basis as were bushes.
In January 2009 i think, the car was in having various things done including yet another seat frame, when I got a call from Hunters saying come get your car as the garage is closing at mid day and if car is on premises I won't get it back, so told them to park out on road and hide the key. I returned loan car and realised that seat wasn't bolted in, the covers were just placed over frame and half my CD's, other personal stuff and various car parts including the sat nav drive were missing. As the dealership was now out of business, nothing could be done. I then had to fight to get the car in to a dealers as the claim had already been opened by now defunked Hunters. So started my relationship with Helen Worth and Sam Perry-Huggins at LRCR. In March 2009, after LR put some pressure on Yeovil LR, the was recovered on its favourite flat bed to finally be put back together. At this point, I spoke to a Director at Inchcape in Guildford and explained in one syllable words how shabby their company was and got a cheque in the post for £75 to "go out and have a nice meal" I believe the cheque is still in the bottom drawer of my desk. Not long after, Guy Salmon opened in Bristol, and with a long list of undone repairs the car was booked for these and the DIS telling me I had an engine fault every time I put my foot down a bit more than just miss Daisying it or when caravan was on the back. Yet again it was diagnosed with a turbo failure, yet another leaking front diff and service was due so in it went, and another three weeks in a Freelander with no tow bar. The car returned fixed and I actually enjoyed about 10 months of trouble free motoring mainly due to using the car at weekends and odd work long journey.
As usual when the car sat up, the first time it started the dash would light up like Christmas and the car would go into limp mode so back to the dealers it went and diagnosed with, wait for it, turbos siezed up and another diff leak. They replaced one turbo, "freed up" the other and replaced seal and breather on diff.
Within four months the DIS was doing its work again and there was a serious whine from under the car at low speeds, the haggling with LR commenced and after weeks arguing about warrantees on parts and reference to posts about paint contaminating oil in diffs, they agreed to contribute 85% towards the replacement. While the car was there I mentioned the DIS and continuing turbo issues but the last was dismissed as being sticky actuators and had been lubed. Oh and by the way sir, your car needs a service within 800 miles. This was last September with 46000 miles on it and 5000 after last visit to attend to diff.
The final straw is well documented, the car was parked at Heathrow for two weeks which turned into Three due to snow delays, but having returned to car, it started first try. And quickly went down hill.
The car was delivered to Guy Salmon on the 23rd January, we then had the four months looking for an engine saga, followed by the replace a new turbo again, and finally I collected the car on the 16th May, having had 9 A4 pages of parts fitted to it, inc three turbos,engine, new intercooler, battery, starter, alternator, water pump, all new pulleys, fuel lines, injectors.......the rest is history as we know.
I contributed 15% of the cost of this, final invoice was £15600 plus £350 for new brake pipes and wheel alignment. Don't ask, but they charged me for brake fluid for doing pipes even though it was already charged with engine change. I know.
Two days later the car returned to dealer with rattle which I believe has now been diagnosed I believe, as a torque converter problem. I believe it to be bearing as it has got worse since being back at dealers and the gearbox oil is full of swarf. More than likely the by product of oily rag forcing it while struggling to get engine and box separated.
Five weeks after paying and then returning the car, I have never been offered a refund, LR had washed their hands of the gearbox problem and Guy Salmon wasn't doing anything so I went for sit down protest to get some answers armed with an offer of cash discount on a new or used vehicle.
I now have a newer car, LR did discount it as did Guy Salmon, but there are still lots if unticked boxes. I will let you work those out for yourselves.
In all of this, I had to deal with Exec office, at the start I got stone walled, followed by an offer of 50% as the car was out of warrantee but had covered 48000 miles and the cause of the failure was due to a faulty turbo that filled the engine and exhaust with sump oil and blew 8th piston to dust. The car has a full LR service history from day one and whilst driven I wouldn't say abused.
As it stands, the gearbox and torque converter are foo-barred, are on back order and I don't believe the saga ends there so voted with my feet.
The day I collected my new cer, and very pleasant gent from LR head office was there, specifically to meet me. And for the first time in 6 years, I got an apology from LR for my troubles. Doesn't start to recognise the time I've lost, been on a phone, the out of pocket expenses, the cancelled holidays and weekends away, the broken cups and telephones or the norse and agro that owning a very expensive car that doesn't work brings with it.
The saving grace in all of this, is a very good team at Guy Salmon, Andrew the service manager, and the amazing DP, Amanda who really did go the extra mile to get me in to a working car. No thanks at all to Land Rover, the guy I spoke to on a daily basis, Stefan Creek, was a gent, but his and LR ineffectual and sometimes lackadaisical attitude to make and action decisions will always remain a huge stumbling block.
I have ordered a new car, for delivery in October, its not a Sport which I did truly like, it's a Fullfat with hopefully by then, will be bug free, have a phone system that will talk to an IPhone 5 and have a few extras gratis courtesy of LR.

The moral of the story is:
1. Never trust what you are told on a phone call. Always confirm the conversation in writing or email so you have a record of the person, time and content as LR don't keep records.
2. Find a good dealer in which ever way and build a good relationship with them. I know all the reception staff, service staff and back office staff by first name now. These are the people who will save your sorry arse when things go t*ts up.
3. If you are buying a LR, don't be put off. They are great cars when they work
4. If you have problems, involve as many people in the loop as you can. Talk to exec office not the operators at LRCR as they not employees of LR nor are they Car people. Don't be afraid to get Dealer Principal involved. They have the ability to get to people within LR and get decisive and quick answers and then action them.
5. If you buy a problem car, don't mess about hoping it can be got right, demand your rights under the laws of the land, give dead lines and stick to them.

I hope you enjoyed your drink while reading this, but please remember fondly, my 2007 TDV8 Sport HSE with 47 pages of items replaced under warrantee, the 9 pages of bits fitted recently and the several still to be fitted, then ignore any advert for a Cairns Blue sport with 50000 miles and loads of extras. I will publish the reg number once the transfer is completed.
I have deliberately left a lot of info out of this for obvious reasons but it is a true and honest reflection of my experiences and as we know, the nice people at LR have a department that reads the Internet, its just a shame that this department doesn't have the ability to communicate with any other that can make changes although I'm told that Customer Services is now going back in-house, and that the new Director will not tolerate anymore sagas such as this and is putting policies and procedures in place to pull CR up to a standard that is acceptable to Customers. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #386729 Sun Jun 23 2013 1:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PEACHY

England 

Big Cry gutted - absolutely gutted Big Cry I WOULD HAVE GONE Censored MENTAL. Bow down 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #386732 Sun Jun 23 2013 1:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

Can I ask why, after all the shiite you've been through, you ordered another Land Rover vehicle?

My RRS has been exemplary, but I'm afraid that if I'd been through what you have, I wouldn't go near the company again.

Post #386733 Sun Jun 23 2013 2:06pm
simple1

There is a very perverse logic applied to the decision Rolling with laughter
As I am now extremely well known to the dealer and upper management at LR, the theory is that I won't go through the same Censored again. And to be honest, having been out and looked and taken test drives in all that's out there excluding new sport, I haven't yet found anything that will tow a 27 ft four wheel caravan, or a Tri-wheeled race shuttle or a 10x6 twin wheeled plant trailer as well and as comfortably as a Range Rover. I looked at new A6 Allroad as I don't use car for work any longer but it doesn't have the presence of comfort and was soulless to drive. The my2009 Fullfat isn't any better but at least I can see over the hedge Rolling with laughter Bow down
Plus I have a fist full of LR money to spend that will put me in a new Fullfat car for about the same price as a well specc'd Sport Thumbs Up 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #386745 Sun Jun 23 2013 3:59pm
jack.bauer

Quote:
the time I've lost, been on a phone, the out of pocket expenses, the cancelled holidays and weekends away, the broken cups and telephones or the norse and agro that owning a very expensive car that doesn't work brings with it.

this is the saddest part for me cos it went on for 6 years. I'm in a similar (less severe!) situation and can heed some good advice from your post. I am finally getting somewhere and it was indeed by demanding my rights under the law. will update the other thread once i have an update. 07 TDV8 + BAS map

Post #386754 Sun Jun 23 2013 5:27pm
jack.bauer

one more thing, why were these being replaced so frequently? im supposed to have one of my lower arm replaced and wondering if i should be aware of anything that will cause it or any internal components to fail again?

Quote:
During this period ball joints and drop links were being changed on a monthly basis as were bushes.
 07 TDV8 + BAS map

Post #386755 Sun Jun 23 2013 5:28pm
simple1

In 2006/7 the active suspension system was added, and its well documented that the system knocked. Early cure was to change ball joints, drop link and anti roll bar bushes. Next came the removal of two tiny gas struts from floor to chassis. Then finally they modified the ant roll bar and mountings and lots of way cars were recalled. In true LR style, it took them 18 months to come up with a solution. The worse part was the lies that LRCR pedalled, saying it was normal, expected and an operational noise. Sorry but you don't buy a 60 grand car and having mechanical sympathy, put up with clonks and bangs in anything but dead flat Tarmac.
At one point in 2007 they ran out of ball joints and had them redesigned and manufactured by another company, since GKN took over this, there wasn't any more problems. I never had another fail after the 27th replacement. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #386762 Sun Jun 23 2013 6:29pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

This, muddy wheels and a couple of others I have read still leave me thinking shoud I stay with LR

Post #386763 Sun Jun 23 2013 6:43pm
PEACHY

England 

I have been a member of this forum since the day I purchased my RRS.Back then it cost me £22.5K - I brought it because I was told I had " had a heart attack " & thought Censored it - life's to short ! The Mrs backed me all the way & it's cost me literally thousands in modifications both electrical & cosmetic. It turns heads wherever it goes & drives like a dream. I don't do high mileage so the petrol cost was never really going to be an issue. I was genuinely offered more than I had paid the other day from a lad at work - I told him to Censored Censored . If I had gone through the same issues as simple it would have pushed me over the edge !
Yes it's only a car but its become a passion - a pastime & by the way this Forum on its day is a better crack than sickipedia Rolling with laughter
Before I read the thread today I was seriously thinking of putting my RRS up for sale - not because I want to sell it but because I'm afraid off what's round the corner ££££££ - have I been lucky or got a better made car ?
If I sold it - what could replace it ? There's nothing that turns my head like the way our cars do. I suppose its a case of keeping my fingers crossed but it shouldn't be - should it !
Big Cry 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #386764 Sun Jun 23 2013 7:09pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Last year I had a new rear active anti roll bar replaced, front ARB bushes, starter motor (twice), alternator, front lower control arms and front wheel bearing replaced. All bar the front control arms were done under warranty. During that period I was very close to selling it and buying something from another manufacturer.

This year, so far, has been pretty good and I'm happy to be a Sport driver.

It is the nature of LR products - when they're good they're great and you wonder why you would have anyhting else. When the're going wrong though... Big Cry

Knowing how annoyed I was when it was messing me around, I'm sure I wouldn't have gone through simple1's problems. It would have been sold, probably at a great loss, and I'd have never looked at LR products again. And I'd have told everyone who'd have listened how bad LR's stuff is. I keep my fingers crossed that I never have to do that... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #386765 Sun Jun 23 2013 7:11pm
Sag

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

You are a very brave man ordering another RR after what you've just wrote!

Hope it goes well Thumbs Up LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #386767 Sun Jun 23 2013 7:21pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Nice post Simon Thumbs Up .......how you've kept your sanity in all this......I have no idea Bow down

As you say, when they're good, they're great.....but........ Shocked

Fully understand your logic for getting a new FFRR, as you say, the slightest sniff of trouble and you can call Every Tom, Dick and Harry.

I must admit, yours and Muddys experiences really have left me wondering if I'll be a long term RR owner....I think I'll see how I get on in the next 18 months whilst the cars got the LR warranty and take it from there Confused

Anyway, enjoy the FF and look forward to the new one Cool

All the best, BC Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #386775 Sun Jun 23 2013 8:38pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Simon, its a shame you didn't sign up to Auto Express or Autocar to have your RRS reviewed on a regular basis like vehicles on their fleet. Shocked I'm sure it would of made L/R sit up and take note sooner. Whistle After reading that above L/R should be giving you a brand new FFRR and if nothing goes wrong with it in 3 years or xxx number of miles then you offer to pay for it. Thumbs Up That would be the only way i would ever buy one of their products again if i was you. Good luck with your current FF and hope its trouble free. Thumbs Up
P/s i'd still pass the story onto one of the motoring mags or Quentin's motoring column Wink

Post #386777 Sun Jun 23 2013 8:54pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Censored I thought I have had it rough Evil or Very Mad

Amazed you bought another Shocked

I have meeting tomorrow and depending how it goes I may be finished with JLR Big Cry Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #386785 Sun Jun 23 2013 9:49pm
simple1

Fill your boots Ady. Am so battle fatigued that I can't be bothered, but if you can find someone who will listen and isn't afraid of loosing their JLR advertising as all the ones I've spoken to are, then I'm sure it will make interesting reading. Have been juggling the should I, shouldn't I ball all day over an online small claims court case to recover my contribution for the engine replacement, but think its futile and I can't be bothered to do the research to find out the individual Directors at Sytner and LR are as they have to be named.
Time to forget and move on Bow down 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #386788 Sun Jun 23 2013 9:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>