RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Mine ordered!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

Beancounter_74

England 

I think MSE has the same way of thinking, but for me, I'm not keen on the new 'shape' and also the fact that there has been such a large increase in price for a 'like for like' model. ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #393107 Thu Aug 29 2013 10:53am
mse

United Kingdom 

Im not negative on it as such - i said its generally an improvement but its lost somethin. Why not to rave about it and why isnt it better, let me try an list some reasons:
1. Its price point is significantly increased - to me this is fundamentally negative, especially when they make out it hasnt
2. Its not that much better, drive wise (certainly every day when your not hooning a 5lSC round a track) than the 2013MY in many terms, it has improved in don't get me wrong, but then that's what you expect, but it isn't massive - granted from say my old 2011 to a new one the jump would be great but from a 13 or maybe even a 12...not so much. Its really only incrementally improved.
3. The fact a number of things are now options is crazy, things that should be core offerings - things you can get on cars 50-75% cheaper, thats wrong - this is a range rover, its options should be things you cant get on other lesser cars
4. After all it is a large Evoque and however much the front has grown on me, the rear just looks like they forgot to finish it or to save time just used auto-resize and went from their (if i wanted an evoque...guess what i would buy)
5. It doesnt have the same presence as the outgoing model, i dont even think it dates it like the new FFRR has the last model - its lost that WOW factor they had when the launched the original, for me that has lost the aspiration to buy a replacement, so for the first time since the pre-production sport sat on my drive all those years ago, I could take it or leave it.
6. There are some silly things, like no low range as standard, the useless back seats, the weight saving that isnt as great when you add in all the options removed to save weight, the lack of engine options from the start, the loss of the spare when you have the extra useless seats, some silly design features (like the side vents) that actually have no purpose than to bling it up, that just seem to take away from the good points of the car - the things LR should be focusing on

I'm sure there are other bug bears which ive forgotten or things that will come out...oh like the towbar situation. Im not against them blinging the car up for those that want it - but it shouldnt just be about that...the thing ive always liked about the sport is its ability to be sporty and be just as good as a discovery off road minus some of the carrying and seat capacity etc

What really bugs me is the hype (which i understand for a new car by JLR) leading to the new ipad model syndrome - eg there is a new one therefore the old one must be rubbish (top gear)...thats what prompted my last post actually...more around the principle you should never buy a launch car in the first 6 - 12 months and expect normal service straight away.

So in summary, its not that I hate it or that its "bad" (anythings better than a porchse or audi) its just that its lost its way and i hope in 1-2 years time i can look at them again and think - why not get one Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #393109 Thu Aug 29 2013 11:08am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

As you say in 1. above, the price has gone a bit silly. Just spec'd an HSE Dynamic with a few extras such as tow bar, 3-zone climate, ACC and a few little odds and sods and it came to £72k. Silly money really.

The stupid non-functioning vents really get my back up. For a vehicle that LR seem to advertise as hugely practical, adding useless plastic dummy vents shouts of style over substance. LR products should follow the mantra "form follows function" in my opinion. Otherwise they'll become "the best 4 by 4 by bling"

Other than the silly vents, I'm coming round to the new one. Sure, it doesn't have the "chiselled from granite" look of the old version (particularly the pre-facelift original) but it doesn't look too bad. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #393153 Thu Aug 29 2013 3:30pm
mse

United Kingdom 

The design is warming to me i will also admit - but its still to evoque esk and the rear lets it down, when you get over "its not as cool and unique" as the outgoing model then its not bad actually Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #393156 Thu Aug 29 2013 3:41pm
Cpd1

Mse, appreciate you taking the time to pen a detailed answer, very insightful.
I am new to the brand so can't compare vs the old sport, however given the late life solid sales performance I would assume it is/was a fine car.
I fully agree with your re premium, it is utterly silly. Sadly it seems that all premium manufacturers are pushing their prices up. Indeed they have many new markets where they can't satisfy demand so from a business point of view it makes sense as long as they can sell. Clearly not good to be a customer here in the UK tho...RRS pushing £80k, FFRR pushing £100k. Even a X5 5.0d granted awesome engine pushes £83k once you go liberal on option list. U mentioned Porsche, a nice 911 997 used to be low 80k now mid 90s...
I like the new design but there was definitely some scope to do better on the back, I seem to recall a quote from JLR head of design somewhere saying that for the RRS they decided to go bold, guess he meant as bold as the evoque...
In any case I drive by a LR dealer on my way home every day and they now have a FFRR and RRS parked next to each other, I must say the RRS works real well and despite the stately design the FFRR it looks a bit unresolved. Overall my humble opinion is the RRS works better.
As for the driving side, the SDV6 is really nice, doesn't set the world on fire but overall handling works nicely.
The one thing that really gets me is the lousy electronics, I mean screen def is worse than cars a fraction of the costs, the set up is quirky and functionality basic. In 2013 it really is a missed opportunity.

Last edited by Cpd1 on Fri Aug 30 2013 8:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #393212 Thu Aug 29 2013 9:06pm
simonsti

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

I have to agree with Cpd1, I've never known such negativity on any car forum towards a new model.
I'm sure when they become more common on the roads even the doubters will start to appreciate them. 2014 Nara Bronze SDV6
GONE TDV6 HSE RRS in Giverny green,Ebony interior, Side steps,Tints, PTI, Tow pack, mud flaps, Side strips and Dynamics pack.

Post #393242 Thu Aug 29 2013 10:35pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I have to agree with Cpd1, I've never known such negativity on any car forum towards a new model.

If im honest im not sure there is massive negativity or even that there are doubters.

Ive been seeing sports on the roads for months and months, so its actually not that uncommon to me Wink but the evoque and sport design concept are too close to the real thing to rave about. Actually there will be a point when they are generally common, but then the world will be different and things will have changed and moved on

Im also a long term Land Rover person owning 2 or 3 at a time and certainly aren't against innovation etc (i really liked the DC100 concept as an example)...but retrograde steps on some things just seem to miss the point and certainly the ethos

One thing for sure is most of us arent lambs...and in that, maybe thats the problem - that the appeal is somehow to the brain dead masses that want style over substance that cant see past a top gear article etc (not counting anyone on here in that group of course). Im sure some of us remember the principles that got land rover to where they are, that seem to somehow get lost for 22inch wheels to rate over the core say low range.

Price is important, sure some will pay (other markets will pay), but lots wont...one issue why farmers etc moved away from the defender, when a hilux is so much cheaper it doesnt matter if they throw it away at 4 years. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Last edited by mse on Fri Aug 30 2013 3:19pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #393258 Thu Aug 29 2013 11:26pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

mse wrote:

One thing for sure is most of us arent lambs...and in that, maybe thats the problem - that the appeal is somehow to the brain dead masses that want style over substance that cant see past a top gear article etc (not counting anyone on here in that group of course). Im sure some of us remember the principles that got land rover to where they are, that seem to somehow get lost for 22inch wheels to rate over the core say low range.

Judging by some replies I've had/seen elsewhere I think they are people hereabouts for whom style is more important than substance.

No doubt the HSE will sell well with shiny big wheels and single speed transfer box... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #393261 Thu Aug 29 2013 11:53pm
big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Well, after an 8 week panoramic roof delay, I finally got to pick up my baby on Friday.

What a fantastic machine.

I will fire up pics and a review in a new topic when I get a chance to at the start of the week, but I know I've made the absolute right choice. The HSE dynamic may seem more than what you need, but it is, in a word, awesome.

Only problem I've had so far is the heating on the passenger side seems to have a mind of it's own! Blowing ice cold when it should be hot, behaving for a while and working properly, and finally this evening blowing really hit when it should be cooling down

It's going in to the dealers on Wednesday for them to see what is wrong with it.

I can't wait to get out and wash it and clean it tomorrow! MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #400918 Sat Nov 02 2013 9:34pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

They haven't improved that much then Question Still having electrical fault gremlins Whistle
Pleased you like your new long awaited sport BP. Looking forward to the pics Thumbs Up You don't have to take any of the rear end though. Laughing Wink

Post #400927 Sat Nov 02 2013 9:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StuRRS

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Congrats BP glad you've finally got it Thumbs Up
Looking forward to seeing the pics Stu
2023 RRS p440e SE Dynamic
2018 Discovery 5 SDV6 HSE Santorini gone
2014 SDV6 HSE Santorini gone
2007 TDV6 HSE Java gone
2003 Discovery TD5 ES gone and missed
2008 Q7 gone
2005 X5 gone
2003 X5 gone
2000 Freelander 2.5 V6 gone- not missed!!

Post #400948 Sun Nov 03 2013 9:00am
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Pleased it was worth the wait bp and it has finally arrived look forward to picks and review Thumbs Up 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #401067 Mon Nov 04 2013 2:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123