RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > "Groaning" HDC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Quasimoto

United States 
"Groaning" HDC

Based on what I understand the Hill Descent Control to be doing, I'd expect to feel and hear some feedback when it engages. But when it kicks in, I'm kind of alarmed at the groaning sound it makes. My wife always says "Are you *sure* this OK for the truck?" I have to admit, it does sound like the ABS takes a major beating. Quite a bit louder than any other ABS system I've heard, but this is my first Land Rover. Anyone else hear the "loud groaning" when HDC kicks in and should I be concerned? -QM

Post #1801 Sat Aug 20 2005 5:01am
caporajm

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Yes it is normal. I was riding in the car with the product manager and this is how the hill decent works. It's a pretty sweet system offroad. Also, if you have the hill decent engaged you can control how fast you want to go by clicking on the positive or negative speed control on the cruise controll. RRS S/C Special Edition, Vesuvius

Post #1803 Sat Aug 20 2005 9:15am
Biggles

England 

Must admit the noise the HDC makes can be quite discerning, but it does its job really well. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1848 Mon Aug 22 2005 4:34pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

mine used to groan, as normal, but now it doesn't work since we had a message in the display "HDC Fault Not Available" this morning. Phone call on Monday morning.........

Post #5981 Sat Nov 26 2005 9:35pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It should make a lot of noise as it operates the ABS and TC. Don't be tempted to drive with it engaged unless you are offroad and on a steep slope otherwise your brake pads will last about 24 hours! The local Land Rover Experience ran Freelanders with HDC on all the time until they found at the end of the 1st week they had no brake pads left and severely damaged disks on the front and worn out drums on the rear. It's definitely a toy for offroad and then only when it is really needed.
Have you tried varying the cut-in speed with the cruise +/- button yet?

Andrew - in the morning go out and turn the key in the ignition, you may find that the system has reset itself - this is a common error message on HDC fitted cars and usually there is nothing wrong. Switching off and turning back on the ignition reboots the HDC computer/ECU and clears the fault message. Also if it has persisted and you are not happy to drive the car (it should be perfectly safe to drive by the way as it is only the HDC in alarm) then don't bother calling the dealer - call out Land Rover Assist, even on a Sunday, and if they cannot fix it they will trailer your car to the dealer so it is waiting to be fixed on Monday morning. The fix is usually a swift reprograme/ down load from the dealers diagnostic computer hook-up. Also you could try asking if anybody has downloaded the GTR bulletin about this 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5983 Sat Nov 26 2005 9:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Have just been over on the D3 forum Andrew and there are some postings about it over there........................... problem appears to be a common one and they recommend a trip to the dealer!
The posting here tells all http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1989 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5990 Sun Nov 27 2005 12:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

Thanks Tim,

it has come up with the error a time or four now, and today we even got special programmes not available, and sure enough, no terrain response programmes when i got to my brothers. Then when it came to leaving time, fired him up and all seems to work. Moved back and fourth in low range and all modes a few times, all ok, so will see what happens. But will log the fault with dealer.

Probably all the salt and muck on the roads getting in a plug somewhere!

Andrew

Post #6017 Sun Nov 27 2005 9:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1