RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Gas struts for tailgate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

wilburn

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze
Gas struts for tailgate

In January our tailgate wouldn't open properly, especially 1st thing in the morning. If you opened it again an hour or 2 later it worked fine. I ordered two new gas struts from http://www.tailgatestruts.com "Range Rover Sport Boot Gas Strut GSC1947" and fitted them. However we find it is still the same. I am guessing it is because of the cold weather. The tailgate will open but for the last part of the opening it will either stop opening (so you risk banging your head) or opens very very slowly for the last part but if you close it and open it again either immediately or an hour or so later, it opens fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Post #379476 Wed Apr 03 2013 9:07am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Had the same issue and after banging my head off the tailgate a few times I changed them but never had a repeat problem. If they are not genuine parts one might wonder if they are man enough to do the job. May be a case of even though they fit, they don't have internals to cope long term. The boot lid is ----ing heavy as I found out when changing rams. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #379497 Wed Apr 03 2013 1:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Mine got a bit lazy in the winter at 3 years old and were replaced under warranty.
LR list different part numbers for the LH and RH struts - presumably they are different because of the extra weight of the woofer mounted on the RH side. I doubt whether aftermarket suppliers would bother about that.

LR part nos are:
LH LR029320
RH LR027543

Both are the same price at £29-14 inc VAT which isn't much more than the tailgatestruts price really.

Post #379540 Wed Apr 03 2013 10:39pm
wilburn

Bob. wrote:
Mine got a bit lazy in the winter at 3 years old and were replaced under warranty.
LR list different part numbers for the LH and RH struts - presumably they are different because of the extra weight of the woofer mounted on the RH side. I doubt whether aftermarket suppliers would bother about that.

LR part nos are:
LH LR029320
RH LR027543

Both are the same price at £29-14 inc VAT which isn't much more than the tailgatestruts price really.

Blimey, I didn't realise they were different and I threw away the old Genuine land rover ones. I did look at the spec printed on the side of the passenger side one to ensure new ones are the same (and they are) but I didn't read the spec printed on the right hand side one as I assumed it to be the same.

Can anyone advise on the spec printed on both the left and right hand ones, as yes it could be because of the woofer one is more powerful than the other.

Post #379558 Thu Apr 04 2013 9:06am
simple1

As the web site says the rams carry a 24 month guarantee, get in touch with them and quote the genuine part numbers above. But seriously suggest you go to local dealer and order from them and get refund on faulty items or you will continue to have problems. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #379559 Thu Apr 04 2013 9:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wilburn

simple1 wrote:
As the web site says the rams carry a 24 month guarantee, get in touch with them and quote the genuine part numbers above. But seriously suggest you go to local dealer and order from them and get refund on faulty items or you will continue to have problems.

I did email them yesterday morning (no reply yet) and I have just emailed them again with info re: left and right hand ones are different.

Will wait for their reply ... and yes I 'could' phone them but easier for me to email whilst I work plus it gives them the opportunity to succeed or fail to reply to my (currently 2 emails)

I run my own company and emails are replied to within 30 mins and average time is 4 mins so, so far not impressed, they took my order and money quick enough which was done over the internet!

Post #379560 Thu Apr 04 2013 9:38am
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Numbers on mine are:

LH 0215WZ 0755N 350/09 CC35
and 6H32-406A10-BB

RH 6759YC F3 0783N 349/09 AD07
and 6H32-406A10-AB

The printing is a different colour for each side presumably originally to prevent mix ups on the LR production line.

They are marked Land Rover but also show the web site www.stabilus.com. Looking on their website shows different numbers but does list two different struts.

Hope this helps.

Post #379561 Thu Apr 04 2013 10:08am
simple1

wilburn wrote:
simple1 wrote:
As the web site says the rams carry a 24 month guarantee, get in touch with them and quote the genuine part numbers above. But seriously suggest you go to local dealer and order from them and get refund on faulty items or you will continue to have problems.

I did email them yesterday morning (no reply yet) and I have just emailed them again with info re: left and right hand ones are different.

Will wait for their reply ... and yes I 'could' phone them but easier for me to email whilst I work plus it gives them the opportunity to succeed or fail to reply to my (currently 2 emails)

I run my own company and emails are replied to within 30 mins and average time is 4 mins so, so far not impressed, they took my order and money quick enough which was done over the internet!

Thumbs Up 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #379564 Thu Apr 04 2013 10:37am
wilburn

Bob. wrote:
Numbers on mine are:

and 6H32-406A10-BB

and 6H32-406A10-AB

The printing is a different colour for each side presumably originally to prevent mix ups on the LR production line.

They are marked Land Rover but also show the web site www.stabilus.com. Looking on their website shows different numbers but does list two different struts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Bob, it does seem looking at yours that the force rating is higher for the right hand side one as shown here:

http://www.tailgatestruts.com/catalogsearc...%2F09+CC35

Post #379567 Thu Apr 04 2013 10:43am
wilburn

http://www.tailgatestruts.com have finally replied and want me to send the struts back to them so they can check the pressure in them as it would appear that the struts just need a little bit of extra pressure putting in them.

I advised them that apparently the specs of the left and right handed oncs are different at:

and 6H32-406A10-BB

and 6H32-406A10-AB

LH = 755 newtons
RH = 783 Newtons
(as indicated within the part numbers above)

Post #379584 Thu Apr 04 2013 4:12pm
simple1

In the mean time you have to do daily work out to get in to boot. Think I would be saying send me correct ones first so your left with something Rolling Eyes 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #379585 Thu Apr 04 2013 4:18pm
wilburn

simple1 wrote:
In the mean time you have to do daily work out to get in to boot. Think I would be saying send me correct ones first so your left with something Rolling Eyes

True but we can do without the boot for a few days during the week.

Going to send them back on Monday via next day courier and they will receive/check/tweak and return on Tuesday so I can re-fit on Wednesday.

So hopefully will have perfect ones fitted then Smile

Post #379587 Thu Apr 04 2013 4:41pm
mse

United Kingdom 

i dont touch the boot and it opens/closes on its own...what am i missing Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Agree - if they are faulty, send me the correct ones first. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #379591 Thu Apr 04 2013 6:20pm
simple1

mse wrote:
i dont touch the boot and it opens/closes on its own...what am i missing Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Agree - if they are faulty, send me the correct ones first.

That cos you got the posh version while us pour mortals have to put up with old fashioned stuff Rolling with laughter 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #379599 Thu Apr 04 2013 7:41pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Power tailgate would be very usefull but I think it was a shame they dropped the top opening tailglass. Very useful to load the boot when you have restricted space behind the car and also you can load more without the contents falling out when you open the tailgate.

Post #379602 Thu Apr 04 2013 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>