RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Have I done the right thing?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

sagalout

Have I done the right thing?!

Hi there,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past week or so doing some research, and have just put a deposit down on a 61 plate RR Sport SE Stormer which I'm picking up on monday.

The car looks and feels new, as you'd expect I suppose, and I went a bit over my initial budget to make sure I got one with a decent amount of manufacturers warranty, but after seeing the last few 'I'm off' posts I'm starting to wonder if I've done the right thing!

I know forums can skew the number of incidents (I had a Boxster previously which, judging by some of the forums you would assume would lunch it's engine at any moment, but in 3 years it never really put a foot wrong other that a £25 washer motor) so can a few owners put my mind at ease that they aren't all constantly in the garage?!

Post #375228 Fri Mar 01 2013 9:22am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

It seems to be individual cars and some incompetence at individual dealership that cause problems. There are plenty on here that have had no problems at all. I think it also depends on the drivers knowledge of things mechanical and an ear or eye for things that go wrong. I have a background in engineering so when something doesn't sound right or work properly, I get it looked at straight away to prevent further damage, so maybe am a bit more anal. My advice to anybody is get the car, enjoy it and if you have problems, don't mess about, use your statutory rights and reject the car for a replacement. I know if I had it all to do again, I would have handed mine back at two or three weeks old instead of listening to the flannel I was sold about resolving problems and LR standing by me and the car, which they have done in part. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #375232 Fri Mar 01 2013 9:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Endjin

Scotland 

Welcome Sagalout Thumbs Up

I'm one of the people changing but, I'm sticking with LR just going from a Sport to a fully loaded Disco. I have had 2 RRS's both from brand new and both for around 3 years each. I love the Sport, It's been a great car. Yes they have some issues but, at the end of the day none of it has jaded my love of the marque. My advice is to make sure you have a good dealer. Now, depending on where you live you may or may not be restricted but, A good dealer is worth their weight in gold. The other thing is to use this forum and don't be afraid to ask. The guys on here are brilliant and we all really try to help each other. Especially when it comes to a dealer trying to spin you a line. There is nowhere for a poor dealer to hide on here! Whistle Always use your warranty, don't let issues hang around on the car. Like you, we had a Boxster S for years and it never put a foot wrong but as you say, reading a forum can focus on the negatives.. If I'd been on a Boxter forum before we bought the car We'd probably never have bought one. The same applies to the RRS! In both cases, what a mistake that would have been! Enjoy your new buggy Thumbs Up 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #375236 Fri Mar 01 2013 9:51am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

sagalout,

I appreciate there are quite a few people who've had unacceptable number of issues but there are way more than "just a few" happy owners.

In 10+ months of ownership, I have only had a suspension compressor/relay changed (no cost to me, under warranty). That too hadn't completely failed but was on its way out and only found because I was paying too much attention close to the 3 year warranty expiry. The rest has just been wear and tear items (tyres, brake pads, discs and shoes).

I didn't even buy new or nearly new and I remember in the beginning I also used to worry but that was mainly because I bought privately and was on my own as soon as I drove off the seller's driveway. Warranty was my only support. You've done the right thing by buying a car with plenty of warranty left on it but make sure you extend it (or get a decent 3rd party warranty) if you keep the car beyond the age of 3. I say it not because I have needed to use my extended warranty but because I know how invaluable it can be if something expensive fails.

Don't stress too much about it and enjoy - they are great cars Thumbs Up

Post #375251 Fri Mar 01 2013 11:15am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I think I remember a post from martin on Disco3 forum.

If everyone who was registered on Disco3 forum had an issue with their car, then it would still be sometihng like 2% of the overall D3's ever made.

Forums attract people who what to ask about issues they are having, and thus you always get a high percentage of compaining/issue threads. RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #375254 Fri Mar 01 2013 11:32am
StuRRS

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Welcome
As long as you have a decent warranty (which you have with this car) then why worry? They are great cars Thumbs Up I've thought about changing recently and looked at pretty much all of the other SUV/4x4 options and for me nothing comes close (except maybe a new shape FFRR)
Bought mine 18mths ago privately and have had to replace a few items but still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Go for it, I'm sure you'll be well pleased. Not sure if you've tried, but see if the stealer will extend the warranty beyond the 3 yrs Wink Stu
2023 RRS p440e SE Dynamic
2018 Discovery 5 SDV6 HSE Santorini gone
2014 SDV6 HSE Santorini gone
2007 TDV6 HSE Java gone
2003 Discovery TD5 ES gone and missed
2008 Q7 gone
2005 X5 gone
2003 X5 gone
2000 Freelander 2.5 V6 gone- not missed!!

Post #375262 Fri Mar 01 2013 12:00pm
AntRover

United Kingdom 

Sagalout,

I'm on my second RRS. The first was an 08 HSE 2.7TDV6. I had it for 2 months shy of under 5 years from brand new, covering 70k miles, 5k of which were towing cars and heavy boats. Except for routine servicing I only had the expense of replacing one front wheel bearing. Otherwise the car didn't miss a beat, although I gave up on getting the knocking front suspension fixed after the 3 year warranty period expired. It didn't consume any oil at all which was surprising given I was towing 2 tons plus on occasions.

Ways to save money on the car: fit your own OEM brake pads and discs and I also put the car on Hankook tyres (last twice as long as the OEM Pirelli's) for half the price. OK, they didn't have the overall dry grip of the Pirelli's but gave 90 - 95% of it and lasted 45k miles as opposed to the originals 25k miles and they were still going strong when I sold it.

I was amazed to only lose £22k in depreciation on the car in those 5 years and with only a £360 wheel bearing to pay for I call that fabulous value. Maybe I was lucky, but it put enough confidence in me to buy another which is a 62 plate HSE Lux 3.0 SDV6. Early thoughts on the MY12/13 are that it is a far more grown up and refined interior with electrics galore. The price point has moved up £10k (after discount) in those 5 years to get into the car, which I feel has only really largely been done to help get the new RRS due soon up to a better starting price for Land Rover. However, in return they have thrown a huge amount of toys and refinement to the current RRS to help bridge the gap and show some direction.

I don't know what the experience the MY12/13 HSE will return yet, but the early signs are good. I was wondering whether to go back to fast estate cars (RS4's, RS6's etc) or 911's when changing but I couldn't bring myself to do it. The last RRS for me has been the most complete car I have ever owned, it does everything you could want and even with the lure of higher performance cars I very quickly tossed them all to one side in favour of another RRS. To me a good RRS is as good a car you will ever need, whatever the occasion... and I don't think you can say that about many cars today.

Enjoy your chariot, learn to get the best from it... and hopefully it will look after you. 2018 RR Velar R-Dynamic, Silver/Ebony, Privacy Glass, lots of toys
2012 RRS HSE Lux SDV6, Orkney/Ivory, Privacy Glass, Side Steps and Tow Pack (Gone)
2008 RRS HSE TDV6, Stornaway/Ebony, Privacy Glass, Tow Pack (Gone)
1985 LR Series 3 SWB, Canvas Top, Firestone SATs (Gone)

Post #375267 Fri Mar 01 2013 12:38pm
sagalout

Thanks for the replies - I feel much better about my purchase now!

I loved the car on the test drive. It just seemed to have a bit more character than the other cars I tried, and the interior was just such a nice place to be.

Roll on monday Smile

Post #375271 Fri Mar 01 2013 12:57pm
sagalout

OK, bit of advice needed already haha. Whilst I've put a deposit on the car, it was subject to a successful test drive. I have it for a 24 hour test drive this weekend so have been giving it a really good going over. In the service book I found a receipt for a garage in Switzerland where it looks like its had some repair work done. Using google translate it looks like a it's had a front bump, with a replacement wing, radiator grill and light, totalling about 2000 euros.

I cant spot anything visual on the car to indicate a repair, but I have noticed a slight steering wheel wobble when braking, but looking around this seems to be quite common and could be caused by anything from warped brakes to unbalanced wheels or tyres that have been stood for a while.

It would have 18 months manufacturers warranty with it, but does anyone know if this could be invalidated by a bodywork repair carried out abroad? Trying to decide if I should walk away and find another, which I'm not keen to do really as the car spec and colour is perfect for me, but I don't want to end up with a car with wobbly wheels and no warranty!

Also torn between the ecomomy of the 3.0 diesel and the power of the 5.0 V8. I only do about 8000 miles a year so the actual fuel cost isn't that much, but would anyone want a V8 in 3 or 4 years time when I come to replace it?

Post #375343 Fri Mar 01 2013 10:02pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Firstly, i would ask the seller if they are aware of any accident repairs to the vehicle, if there answer is no, then show them the recipt, then if you are still happy after they have checked the cars history use this to knock a few grand off the car. Wobbley steering wheel when braking im almost sure its warped discs, a lot of sports have had these replaced under warranty so no problem in the dealer sorting that out, but with the evidence of a front end repair you want it checking out. Personally, i wouldn't want an accident repaired vehicle, there is plenty of none damaged vehicles out there to choose from, its a buyers market.

Post #375346 Fri Mar 01 2013 10:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Would bet price of a good diner that it was snow bank damage. The front of a Sport isn't that strong. Didn't think they used Euros in Switzerland so if its 4000 Sf then that's about 1600 quid so not major damage. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #375349 Fri Mar 01 2013 10:57pm
sagalout

Thanks, it's from a dealer. I'd suspect they don't know about the damage, as this was tucked away in the manual.

It's a lot of money and my gut feeling is I want something perfect...but I'd have thought it was perfect if I hadn't found that invoice hah.

Looking on their website and they have a lovely supercharged one in for the same money. Same colour, slightly older but still in warranty...might at least take it for a drive and see if the sound and power is worth the extra petrol cost.

Post #375365 Fri Mar 01 2013 11:33pm
sagalout

Thanks, it's from a dealer. I'd suspect they don't know about the damage, as this was tucked away in the manual.

It's a lot of money and my gut feeling is I want something perfect...but I'd have thought it was perfect if I hadn't found that invoice hah.

Looking on their website and they have a lovely supercharged one in for the same money. Same colour, slightly older but still in warranty...might at least take it for a drive and see if the sound and power is worth the extra petrol cost.

Post #375366 Fri Mar 01 2013 11:33pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I think I remember a post from martin on Disco3 forum.

If everyone who was registered on Disco3 forum had an issue with their car, then it would still be sometihng like 2% of the overall D3's ever made.

Forums attract people who what to ask about issues they are having, and thus you always get a high percentage of compaining/issue threads.

Thats usually my line!

But its true - all cars have faults, but the RRS is a great car and actually isnt bad Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #375400 Sat Mar 02 2013 10:52am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

mse wrote:

But its true - all cars have faults, but the RRS is a great car and actually isnt bad

Until it breaks down and costs twice as much as most cars to fix Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #375404 Sat Mar 02 2013 11:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>