RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Speed rating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Speed rating

I bought a pair of Y rated Hankooks for the sports rear around six months ago due to a blow out.
The fronts now need replacing but I can only find Hankook's with a W rating, same load rating though.

Will it matter if I put W's on rather than Y's Question

Car is under extended warranty not that I can see a valid reason for a speed rating having an adverse effect on any claim.

Nik 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #372480 Wed Feb 06 2013 8:35pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Should be fine, I don't think a TDV6 will reach anywhere near 168 mph! 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #372484 Wed Feb 06 2013 9:03pm
SRE

Spain 

Could be an "issue" with your insurance !!! In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #373760 Sun Feb 17 2013 4:52pm
Endjin

Scotland 

When I had this same issue I asked my Insurer (NFU) if it made an difference. They said no as the speed rating of the tyre was well in excess of the max speed the car could do. However on researching the issue I found that the UK Law states that a replacement tyre must be of the same or higher load ratings than those originally fitted by the manufacturer. The speed rating comes under the same heading as load rating and therefore could cause an issue if reduced. Seems crazy but, the argument is that the speed rating is not just about speed but that it contributes to how the vehicle will perform under braking and cornering as well! If you are unsure my advice would be ask your insurer. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Last edited by Endjin on Sun Feb 17 2013 11:36pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #373771 Sun Feb 17 2013 6:02pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The speed rating is just the maximum speed at which the tyre will run for extended periods at its maximum load. You can run tyres with a lower speed rating. Best to inform your insurer however, especially if you're going to run especially low ratings e.g. S-rated mud tyres.

I haven't been able to find anything that makes it illegal to use different speed/load ratings on cars. Happy to be pointed to legislation however. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #373790 Sun Feb 17 2013 8:11pm
Endjin

Scotland 

This makes interesting reading! Especially pages 1 and 2.

http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Replacing...e_2011.pdf 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #373818 Sun Feb 17 2013 11:35pm
SRE

Spain 

My cars in Spain have the "required" speed rating and sizes of tyres that you can legally fit stated in the Vehicle log book/document. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures

Post #373830 Mon Feb 18 2013 8:30am
RRSTDV8

Endjin wrote:
This makes interesting reading! Especially pages 1 and 2.

Yes, interesting. So there is no legal requirement in the UK to use the same speed rating as it had at the factory. There is, however, a requirement in other countries. Useful to know if you travel around Europe in your own vehicle.

I've looked at the construction and use regs and the speed rating requirements in there only relate to goods vehicles and similar, not to private cars. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #373854 Mon Feb 18 2013 12:02pm
SRE

Spain 

I imagine if you had a blow out that resulted in an accident then the insurers would use a lower spec tyre as an excuse. I think it better to fit tyres that meet the design intent of the vehicle, e.g. Y Rating or higher. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures

Post #373866 Mon Feb 18 2013 2:11pm
RRSTDV8

I'm sure they would do, unless you had asked them and they'd confirmed it was an acceptable variation.

It would make for an interesting court session: Your tyre blew out at e.g. 70mph on the motorway. The insurer said "sorry but that tyre is only rated for 130mph and your book says it should have one for 186mph so we're not paying". You respond that the tyre failed at approx half its speed rating, and that the fitted speed rating is the same as the maximum speed of the vehicle. Also, the vehicle was loaded such that each tyre was below its maximum load rating. I reckon the court would tell the insurer to wind their necks in...

If I look at my owner's manual, I find that the speed rating varies with tyre size. Also, I find that it varies if I put winter tyres on the vehicle. Also, the load rating varies with tyre size and wheather conditions too.

So, with my 19inch wheels, I need tyres rated at 186mph unless I fit winter tyres in whcih case they can be rated at 130mph. My vehicle's maximum speed is 130mph.

I think the speed and load rating combinations are as much to do with what the tyre manufacturers produced at the time the vehicle was homologated as it does anything else. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #373871 Mon Feb 18 2013 3:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1