RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Dealership Feedback > Servicing nightmare
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SingeRRS

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Servicing nightmare

Sent the RRS in for a two year service and to sort a fault with the forward alert showing up when the vehicle was started.

The car was picked up and returned promptly the same evening. I went out and started it the next morning only for the 'service alert' to pop up - it hadn't been cancelled. I checked under the bonnet and it was clear the fluid checks hadn't been done - DRS fluid tank was on minimum - and debris around the oil filler cap made me feel extremely sceptical that the engine cover had been removed to replace the oil filter (although I cannot be sure of this but think it is impossible to remove the engine cover without the debris falling through the hole where oil filler cap is?). The front tyres were also reported to be bald on the shoulders after 16k miles. (I had complained about the car pulling to the left ever since I took delivery to be told it was normal - and due to the camber of most roads). I phoned the dealer in question who were very apologetic and agreed to pick the car up and give the service another go and do a full valet. In the meantime I took the car to a tyre dealer - LR dealer quote for two tyres (contis) was very uncompetitive. Replaced the contis and the technician said the wear was undoubtedly due to poor wheel alignment. Rather than complain to the dealer and have the 'he said, he said' battle they checked the car and realigned the front wheels for £30. They were six degrees off LR published specification. The car now goes straight without having to add a slight clockwise force to the steering wheel.

Car then went back to the dealer a week later to complete the service properly and was returned the same evening beautifully cleaned. The only problem was the rear seat entertainment system no longer worked on one side. With Christmas approaching and the 'family round UK' tour with the kids this was a problem. Phoned the dealer and took the car over. The valets had broken the wiring loom under the seat and a temporary repair was done with some PVC tape. A new wiring loom was ordered.

The screen worked over Christmas but had severe trouble with the car refusing to accelerate going into roundabouts after applying the brakes (well known brake switch adjustment problem?). The fault with the forward alert also recurred after the customary light show from all the various faults whilst going down the M6 - all were cleared except the forward alert after pulling onto the hard shoulder and restarting the car.

Trip four to the dealer for the new wiring loom and to re-fix the forward alert fault - and I finally have a serviced working car (fingers crossed!!). I paid around £560 for the service and on the last trip the dealer does seem to have filled up the tank with diesel (to help towards the four return trips to the dealer from my house -c.40 miles round trip eac?h).

Anyone beat this as a servicing Disaster??

Last edited by SingeRRS on Mon Jan 14 2013 11:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #369372 Mon Jan 14 2013 10:22pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sounds like standard LR dealer customer service to me... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #369376 Mon Jan 14 2013 10:42pm
PEACHY

England 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #369379 Mon Jan 14 2013 11:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
Re: Servicing nightmare

SingeRRS wrote:
.......Anyone beat this as a servicing Disaster??

Not unless you count dropping it off a ramp Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #369380 Mon Jan 14 2013 11:14pm
redrob

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

My wife took ours in for a service and to have the suspension looked at after it wouldn't go down to access height, and was told " it's a common problem with these cars, just live with it" the more you sweat in practice
the less you bleed in battle

Post #369381 Mon Jan 14 2013 11:21pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

This dealer seems like one of the good ones! Thumbs Up Wink 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #369382 Mon Jan 14 2013 11:25pm
SingeRRS

VA - in that case I should resist the temptation and name them? Wink I have not because of the problem of asymmetry of praise vs criticism online.

Two serious points though:

- LR dealers are woeful and LR does not care or provide any backup (this car has been a pain in the neck since I bought its woefully built predecessor that was returned to LR) . They just continue to outsource quality control to the dealers whilst clamping down on payments for warranty work and dis-incentivising them to deal with customer problems.

- A diagnostic interface and related software cost £'000s and coupled with restrictive warranty conditions prevents independents who are capable of checking a fluid level or changing an oil filter (and would fall over backwards to do so for £560) from providing a competent alternative service.

Solving either would be great!

Post #369386 Mon Jan 14 2013 11:45pm
DrLex

Iceland 

SingeRRS wrote:
VA - in that case I should resist the temptation and name them? Wink I have not because of the problem of asymmetry of praise vs criticism online.

Two serious points though:

- LR dealers are woeful and LR does not care or provide any backup (this car has been a pain in the neck since I bought its woefully built predecessor that was returned to LR) . They just continue to outsource quality control to the dealers whilst clamping down on payments for warranty work and dis-incentivising them to deal with customer problems.

- A diagnostic interface and related software cost £'000s and coupled with restrictive warranty conditions prevents independents who are capable of checking a fluid level or changing an oil filter (and would fall over backwards to do so for £560) from providing a competent alternative service.

Solving either would be great!

I'd have to disagree with the universality of your second point; I have two local independents who specialize in LRs, and as such, have the necessary diagnostic kit, even though one is just a father & son operation. Both outfits provide excellent service at reasonable prices, so it can be done.
(As to your first point, the stories I hear from dealers would not make me disagree! I'm sorry but unsurprised to read your tale of woe.)

Post #369390 Tue Jan 15 2013 12:04am
SingeRRS

Dr Lex,

Yes, I agree some brave indys have paid the licensing cost for the kit but they still have two huge hurdles to overcome:

1. Because LR cannot do quality control they ship cars with many faults. The reason my rear seat entertainment broke (I believe) was because the wiring loom was too short so when the valets moved the seat all the way forwards to hoover they broke the wiring loom that was not long enough to deal with the motorised seat travel. The car was also in to have the nearside door seals replaced because the ones fitted by the factory two years earlier had fallen off and were leaking. I have to go to a main dealer as an indy cannot repair these warranty items.

2. My LR warranty is invalid unless I have the car serviced by an approved LR (incompetent) dealer for the three years it is valid.

And when LR release version x.o of the management software or have bug fix x.o which solves the programming fault with the RRS system software that makes a brake pedal mal-adjustment cause the entire CAN system to crash while you are doing 70mph down the M6 - the indys do not get access to it.

So, unless you have an out of warranty, software update expired LR, indys are not a real option - and that is very wrong!

Post #369391 Tue Jan 15 2013 12:18am
Morpheus-RRS

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

SingRRS,

Contrary to popular belief you do not need to get your car serviced by the main dealer to keep the warranty valid, (They will try to tell you that you do) you can take your vehicle to any garage and as long as they use the approved parts and oil and carry out servicing work in line with the car manufacturer's service schedules. Car maintenance records must be completed and receipts for work should be retained then your warranty will not be invalidated. if you have any problems then tell your dealer you are going to report them to the office of fair trading and you will soon see them eating humble pie.
I have never had any of either my wife's cars or mine serviced by main dealers in over 7 years (Unless its a free service Razz ) and we both change our cars every 12---18 months and still the main dealer honours the warranty. Thumbs Up

Read the article below :-

http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2004/85-04#notes

http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/garage/the-cod...e-faq.html Dave.
MY12, SDV6, HSE Orkney Grey, Cream leather with contrast stitching, Side steps, Tow bar and electrics, privacy glass.

Post #369393 Tue Jan 15 2013 2:21am
DrLex

Iceland 

Dave,
Thumbs Up Nice post; succinctly written & saved me answering!

Post #369461 Tue Jan 15 2013 4:26pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Although I am well aware of the EEC ruling on servicing I still have services within first 3 years by LR to avoid complications not if but rather when a warranty claim arises - ie were oem parts used, etc... Rolling Eyes

Getting a warranty repair by LR is hard enough without giving them more excuses to delay/refuse it and I don't have the time or money to pursue my legal rights because whatever the law says nobody will be interested and it will be down to me to deal with it at the end of the day Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #369463 Tue Jan 15 2013 4:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1