RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > SDV6 compared to the TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

lee551247

United Kingdom 
SDV6 compared to the TDV8

I currently have a 2008 sport TDV8 and it is in having warranty work done. They have given me an SDV6 sport for a few days whilst mine is in and I have to say I am really impressed with it. It doesn't seem much slower than mine at all and it is much better on fuel. Also the cabin is a far nicer place to be aswell. The 8 speed gearbox is excellent. I was always saying why drop the TDV8 engine from the sport range but after driving an SDV6 i can see why they have as the only thing it misses from the TDV8 in my opinion is the noise! Really wish I had bought an SDV6 now instead of my TDV8.

I now face a dilemma, do I change mine for one now or do I wait until the new sport comes out and let the SDV6 prices drop before purchasing?

Anyone else on here gone from a TDV8 to a SDV6?

Post #368629 Tue Jan 08 2013 10:45am
Beancounter_74

England 

You're not the first to comment on their surprise of the SDV6 against a TDV8 Wink Cool

When I first signed up on here when I got my first RRS (the current SDV6) there was a lot of talk about 'it won't be as good as the TDV8'......but, over time, the more people are driving them side by side, the more are changing their view. Whistle

I did a recent 250 mile trip in mine mainly on motorways and kept to law abiding speeds as I wasn't in a hurry for a change. Managed to get a healthy 34.8 MPG for the trip, which I thought was great Mr. Green ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #368641 Tue Jan 08 2013 12:40pm
lee551247

United Kingdom 

Beancounter_74 wrote:
You're not the first to comment on their surprise of the SDV6 against a TDV8 Wink Cool

When I first signed up on here when I got my first RRS (the current SDV6) there was a lot of talk about 'it won't be as good as the TDV8'......but, over time, the more people are driving them side by side, the more are changing their view. Whistle

I did a recent 250 mile trip in mine mainly on motorways and kept to law abiding speeds as I wasn't in a hurry for a change. Managed to get a healthy 34.8 MPG for the trip, which I thought was great Mr. Green

I had a quick 20 mile drive last night and in the TDV8 I struggle to get 17mpg but in the SDV6 I was probably travelling a bit quicker it didn't drop below 24mpg, I have to drive the TDV8 ever so slowly and gently to get 24mpg!

Post #368642 Tue Jan 08 2013 12:50pm
Beancounter_74

England 

By the way, didn't mean to focus on the MPG, but it's a nice fringe benefit in my eyes as you don't run these things for their eco stance Laughing

Regarding buy now, or hold on a bit.....difficult call - clearly the new RRS isn't far away with more 'mule' photo's cropping up recently and that will affect the prices once they are announced and start hitting the street.

The other counter argument is with regard to the new RRS. It's rumored that it will have the new SDV8 in it (like the new FFRR), so you could still have your V8 cake and eat it.....food for thought Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #368646 Tue Jan 08 2013 1:30pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I echo what Bc says, i think the real reason rrsboy sold his TDV8 was to secretly save up for a SDV6, they really are a lively motor for a 3.0L diesel and as you say with good fuel economy. Thumbs Up You know that the SDV6 bug has now bitten. Laughing

Post #368647 Tue Jan 08 2013 1:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SVR575

United Kingdom 

IMO even the new RRS will not need any more power than the SDV6, with the weight saving this will be the engine of choice! SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #368660 Tue Jan 08 2013 4:17pm
lee551247

United Kingdom 

TDV8HST wrote:
IMO even the new RRS will not need any more power than the SDV6, with the weight saving this will be the engine of choice!

Another thing is i reckon the new SDV8 range rover will be well out of my price range, it will probably be £80k +!!

Post #368661 Tue Jan 08 2013 4:25pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Makes you wonder if they will tone down the SDV8 power to get the MPG up and emmissions down, thats the way things seem to be going these days. Whistle

Post #368662 Tue Jan 08 2013 4:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 

The SDV6 is a fine engine - im still of the opinion for the v8 experience you get a petrol supercharged.

As for the next model run and engine line up - it will just be a matter of waiting and seeing Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #368693 Tue Jan 08 2013 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1