RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Wheel refurbishment options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Wheel refurbishment options

Apologies to those of you who know a lot more about this subject than me and may have much to add but thought this might be useful starting point for ‘refurb virgins’.

Here’s just a few notes on wheel refurbing based on my experiences over a few years.
Not all refurbs are the same.

At one end of the scale is the ‘quick and dirty’ fix that a lot of so –called smart repair companies offer which is restricted to the outer face, tyre is left on and little more than a quick rub down, filing of the outer rim, bit of filler in the deeper gouges and then a blow-over with paint. The sort of thing that Mr Dodgy Dealer will do to sell a car. Doesn’t stand up to close inspection since the wheel nut recesses won’t be painted nor will the inner rim. Expect to pay £30/wheel upwards for this but don’t; unless you are just tarting up to sell.

In the middle is the ‘bread and butter’ fix where tyres are removed, the whole wheel is dipped and stripped, usually in an acid bath, outer rim is cleaned up on a lathe and small gouges filled and larger ones repaired with weld, before painting, tyre refitted and balanced. This looks very much better and generally wheel looks like new (for a while). Expect to pay £55/wheel upwards.

At the top end of the scale is the ‘factory refurbishment’ where tyre is removed, wheel checked for flat spots, run-out and cracks and corrected or rewelded (if possible), is then dipped and stripped, cleaned up on a lathe and gouges filled or welded. Powder coat primer is applied then paint then a tough lacquer. New valves and the tyre refitted and balanced. All carried out under strict quality control standards. Generally wheel looks at least as good as new. Expect to pay around £90/wheel upwards. Extras like fitting new tyres, storage etc are additional charges.

Getting the job done presents a few logistical problems – especially if your RRS is your only vehicle. You can have the wheels collected and returned by courier but you might have to remove the wheels yourself and leave the car on axle stands for a week. Wicked Wheels will come round and do the wheel removal for you and supply the axle stands but either way you’ll be without the use of your car for a week. Some companies will rent you loan wheels but it isn’t cheap and again you’ll have to do the swap yourself. You can take the car and leave it with the factory but you’ll need to organise hire car, taxi or train and then do it all again to collect.

I was recently faced with refurbing the 20 inch standard TDV8 wheel of my recently acquired 07 MY RRS. The wheels looked nice from a distance but had some nasty scrapes here and there and the tyres were half worn but a bit unevenly; especially at the rear. I had the alignment checked and it was only marginally out at one rear corner which makes me think it had previously been further out but been corrected maybe. Bought four new Toyo Proxes T1Sport SUV (275/40 R20) from Camskill for £611.56 delivered which was the best price available at the time and stored them while I looked for a refurbishment service.

Then I stumbled across Exelwheels Ltd http://www.exelwheels.co.uk/ on the Porsche 911 UK forum. This is a one-man company run by a great car enthusiast called Chris who will come to you, fit some loan wheels and take your wheels away to a factory refurbisher, which is the one I would always choose, then deliver your wheels back in as little as two days and refit them for you. In my case he even waxed them inside and out first with Collinite 845 wax (the best according to independent testing by Autoexpress). Including fitting the new Toyos and checking for flat spots and run-out etc., the total cost was £520.00. They look stunning. Bearing in mind the lack of hassle, quick turnaround and no transport costs I think that’s a good deal. It’s good to know my wheels are true and crack free and the tyres are perfect particularly when hurtling round a pitch dark rain -lashed M25 recently. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #368036 Sun Dec 30 2012 7:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1