RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS vs FFRR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Cheney Jawa

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
RRS vs FFRR

This has probably been done to death on this forum but having picked my RRS back up from the dealer last week and having driven around in a FFRR Westminster for 2 1/2 weeks i thought it would be informative to offer my thoughts on the comparison Smile

The first biggest difference (and it is a huge one) is the V8 vs the V6, the V8 4.4ltr jobbie is absolutely awesome and quite frankly knocks spots off the V6, they just aren't in the same league! Shocked The V8 is smooth & pulls like a train right from the bottom end right up to the top end and is a joy to drive, on the motorway it purrs along beautifully. And, before i hear you all say well what about the fuel economy difference it is not as much as you think, i reckon i averaged about 2/3 mpg worse than my RRS.

The second thing was the interior, definatly not as nice a driving experience as the RRS, it just didn't 'hug' you as much as the RRS, in fact at times i felt like i was driving a truck! Laughing

The FFRR is HUGE!, in fact it took me a couple of miles to get re adjusted with the size of the thing.

The lack of a power tailgate on the FFRR is a complete pain in the Censored

The sat nav on the FFRR is far easier to use and is more accurate than on the RRS.

The timed climate was an utter revelation...........Why oh Why did i not take this option on my RRS! Rolling Eyes

The heated steering wheel i would have said before this was a complete gimmick, however the reality was quite the opposite, first thing in the morning within 30 seconds, lovely warm hands! Very Happy

All in all the FFRR experience was quite satisfying BUT i was more than happy to step back into my own RRS (despite not having a V8 Sad Laughing ) Owner of MY13 RRS Red Edition, Santorini Black, Ebony with Lunar, Privacy Glass & Exterior Design Pack

Post #367343 Fri Dec 21 2012 4:58pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Nice objective impartial view Cheney.
Good to hear you've been reunited with your RRS. Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #367360 Fri Dec 21 2012 7:26pm
Coolbanana

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Good comments.

The size of the FFRR and 'truck-like' feel puts me off too. I hate parking my car outside and have always used a garage so it would need to fit and the FFRR would be an issue for me in that respect. The feel is closer to the Discovery 4 in terms of being 'truck-like' and I didn't like that too much.

I had timed climate on my D4 - very nice but I don't miss it really. Now the heated steering wheel is very nice - very happy to have it.

Having had the self-closing tailgate on the Evoque and now the RRS, it is definitely the way forward and wouldn't want to go back.

All in all, I prefer the RRS to the 2012 and older FFRR (agree the V8 is better but that's not a reason to move to a FFRR for me).

Now the 2013 FFRR is an entirely different proposition! That is amazing in every way albeit I still think the next gen RRS with a hybrid engine will suit me better. Thumbs Up Current car: Porsche 911 Carrera S PDK (997.2) Past Car: (MY12) Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6 - Orkney Grey with Almond interior
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Post #367377 Fri Dec 21 2012 9:52pm
oldcro

Scotland 

Having changed from a MY11 Sport to a MY12 Westminster I am a bit biased but I love the Westminster. Admittedly it does show its age compared to the Sport but the V8 4.4 diesel is fantastic and the comfort and ride I find more comfortable. My mpg in day to day driving has improved by 1 mpg over the sport which is a bonus and the extra size has not proven to be a problem so far.

The 2013 FFRR as mentioned looks to be another step-up so marked down as my next vehicle, unless the 2014 Sport exceeds my expectations like having the V8 4.4 diesel engine.

Off topic bit.
Coolbanana I see your Sport has Orkney grey and Almond interior, are you pleased with you colour choices. I'm asking because those are the same colours I selected when assembling my choice of 2013 Vogue SE in Land Rover's "Build and price" section. Present colours are Orkney grey and Jet so am looking for a lighter interior without being too light.

Post #367390 Fri Dec 21 2012 11:49pm
oldcro

Scotland 

Having changed from a MY11 Sport to a MY12 Westminster I am a bit biased but I love the Westminster. Admittedly it does show its age compared to the Sport but the V8 4.4 diesel is fantastic and the comfort and ride I find more comfortable. My mpg in day to day driving has improved by 1 mpg over the sport which is a bonus and the extra size has not proven to be a problem so far.

The 2013 FFRR as mentioned looks to be another step-up so marked down as my next vehicle, unless the 2014 Sport exceeds my expectations like having the V8 4.4 diesel engine.

Off topic bit.
Coolbanana I see your Sport has Orkney grey and Almond interior, are you pleased with you colour choices. I'm asking because those are the same colours I selected when assembling my choice of 2013 Vogue SE in Land Rover's "Build and price" section. Present colours are Orkney grey and Jet so am looking for a lighter interior without being too light.

Post #367391 Fri Dec 21 2012 11:50pm
Coolbanana

oldcro wrote:

...Off topic bit.

Yes, definitely. I prefer grey to black or white for the exterior and the almond is dark enough to hide dirt and so be practical yet still much lighter than a black interior.

I've not had a black interior in a car for a while now - wouldn't go back as the lighter interiors are definitely my preference. Current car: Porsche 911 Carrera S PDK (997.2) Past Car: (MY12) Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6 - Orkney Grey with Almond interior
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Post #367395 Sat Dec 22 2012 12:08am
oldcro

Scotland 

Coolbanana wrote:

I'm due a trip to Aberdeen next May for the first service, so you have now convinced me to get a PX price to change then. Thanks for the info, would Indus Sliver (my second choice) be acceptable instead of the Orkney grey as a change from present colour. I wish the dealer was nearer to me so I could see for myself the different colours.

Yes, definitely. I prefer grey to black or white for the exterior and the almond is dark enough to hide dirt and so be practical yet still much lighter than a black interior.

I've not had a black interior in a car for a while now - wouldn't go back as the lighter interiors are definitely my preference.

Post #367398 Sat Dec 22 2012 12:47am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

an interesting comparison and surprised about the V8 v's V6 gap... when I had a 4.4 TDV8 for a few days I felt it very similar in poke/performance to my 3.6 TDV8 (mapped of course) so to say the V8 is in a different league to the V6 raised an eyebrow! RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #367427 Sat Dec 22 2012 2:11pm
oldcro

Scotland 

awd man wrote:
an interesting comparison and surprised about the V8 v's V6 gap... when I had a 4.4 TDV8 for a few days I felt it very similar in poke/performance to my 3.6 TDV8 (mapped of course) so to say the V8 is in a different league to the V6 raised an eyebrow!

Am I missing something here? You've compared a 4.4 TDV8 against a 3.6 mapped TDV8 then commented on a V8 compared to a V6. Comparing a 4.4 TDV8 against a 3.0 possibly mapped TDV6 would have been a better choice surely.

Post #367454 Sat Dec 22 2012 9:09pm
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I have just been to LPR twice in the last three weeks. During the first visit, David showed me the new FFRR model they had at the back, I think it was worth something like 110k? I got inside, rear and front, the thing is so big, it's hard to believe. Then, just this week, as I was coming out from the LPR parking lot, this new FFRR was being taken out for a show drive. As a true gentleman, despite driving my 510HP/5L engine, I let it overtake me... obviously to have a look at it form the back Smile And OMG I thought it was stunning when I first saw it parked up in the back, but in motion it looked so much better, so much more beautiful!
I believe the new Sport will have to look as stunning as the FFRR, otherwise people will rush (who can afford) to buy FFRR if the new Sport does not turn out as stunning as its papa Cool Vadim A.

Post #367529 Sun Dec 23 2012 11:03pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Dont worry from what i hear the new sport will look even better. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #367592 Mon Dec 24 2012 7:36pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Hope the new one has two years service intervales, This every year service is behind the competition! SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #367762 Thu Dec 27 2012 5:36pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

RRS need servicing every 12 months because they are soooo reliable its the best time to catch up on all the little jobs and recalls that need doing Laughing Whistle But i'm with you i hope the new sport is at least 2 year or 24000 mile service intervals. Thumbs Up

Post #367764 Thu Dec 27 2012 5:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

I've come to the conclusion that the short service interval is designed to get them out of warranty claims: "Sorry sir but the vehicle has a short service interval which you missed. So we're not paying out" "Yes sir, I know the rest of the industry has moved on but this is British-built engineering and we'll go broke if we have to fix everything all of the time" Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #367766 Thu Dec 27 2012 5:58pm
Bandit8

England 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I travel approximately 5000 mile sper annum (or should I say Mrs Bandit does) and I will still have to have my new RRS serviced every year as I will never get to the correct level of mileage servicing. There is no way of missing these unless of course I think I wil negate the warranty. I assume that there will be major issues apart from the warranty if I only get this serviced every 2 years. (Not that I will though) will there .????? It is what it is and I am what I am....

Post #367776 Thu Dec 27 2012 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>