RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Steering feels 'strange' !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rickshaw

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Steering feels 'strange' !!!

Hi guys

Would appreciate any thoughts/ideas

Whilst driving along the M25 recently the steering on my RRS suddenly felt very 'strange' and the car seemed to move/wander in the road for some distance. The road was totally dry, no ice etc. I immediately thought I'd got a puncture or that it might be the road surface (eg tram lines from lorries - BUT I was in the outside lane....). Pulled cover and checked tyres - everything seemed OK, pressures OK.

It may now be my imagination but since this 'incident' the steering appears to have lost 'feel' and seems lighter than it was.

Like I say it's probably nothing and probably was something to do with the road surface BUT has anyone got any thoughts on anything else that could this sort of sensation??

Ta!

Post #367118 Wed Dec 19 2012 5:47pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Just a couple of thoughts based on similar thing happening to me (although not in the RRS so far). What condition are your tyres in?
My 911 started to feel that way on the M25 one morning and I think it was a combination of 'tramlining' in the ruts left by big trucks and made worse by my front tyres being close to worn out and suffering the usual Pirelli Continentals 'feathering at the shoulders' problem. New tyres improved it a lot.
Secondly early one Sunday morning I once had the feeling I was driving on sheet ice in my Jeep and eventually worked out it was a big diesel spill and had contaminated my tyres so badly I had to gingerly drive it several miles back home and change cars! Next day after the diesel had presumably evaporated - car was fine again.
Less observant motorists weren't so lucky and on my way home there had been an accident every hundred yards or so with cars up trees, in ditches and on their roofs next to roundabouts.

Obviously if your RRS feels the same next day then you need to check all the suspension components for wear. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #367136 Wed Dec 19 2012 7:57pm
rickshaw

Hi Paddi

Thanks for your comments. Tyres are good all round. The fact that it happened so suddenly made me think 'something' had failed or that it was connected with the road surface.
Your comment re a diesel spillage may explain it - it did cross my mind. Its not a section of road I use regularly so I cannot retrace my steps to see if the issue is repeated.
ARC bushes were replaced not long ago. Its only done 13,000 miles from new so wouldn't expect too much suspension wear.............
I'll keep an eye on things - its due for a service shortly so I'll mention it when it goes in to the dealer.

Post #367176 Thu Dec 20 2012 10:06am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Another thought is that a bit of cross wind such as where the road is protected by a bank and you pass a gap in the bank. Presumably this wasn't the case here? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #367196 Thu Dec 20 2012 11:57am
rickshaw

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Another thought is that a bit of cross wind such as where the road is protected by a bank and you pass a gap in the bank. Presumably this wasn't the case here?

Understand what you mean. Not that I was aware of........Didn't feel like a cross wind. The feeling was definitely in the steering rather than the car just moving around.

Post #367231 Thu Dec 20 2012 4:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1