RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Rear demister / defroster
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Kav, thanks for the little procedure for checking the rear window defrost. When my vehicle gets back from the garage I think I'll look at it using your method. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #366154 Mon Dec 10 2012 3:11pm
kav1187

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

No worries - hope you get it sorted Thumbs Up

Post #366157 Mon Dec 10 2012 3:23pm
Stefan.lajszczuk

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Rimini Red

Sorry for the delay but I only got chance to look at this issue yesterday.

I removed the spoiler as per the guide and a YouTube video to gain access to the connector.

I separated these and found I had 12v at the vehicle side and on the screen side I had continuity. Very Happy

From here I got a small file and roughed up the male side of the connector where the pins were showing so that the copper was shiny.

Put it all back together and I'm 95% there.

It comes on and you can now see the bands on the screen clearing but looking at it I've got 3 or 4 bands that need closer inspection. It will be a broken element but as we're going away for Christmas on Friday, it can wait until the warmer months.

Other than that, a really simple job, took me 30mins all together!

Thank you to all who posted with ideas or suggestions

Post #367172 Thu Dec 20 2012 4:07am
kav1187

Good stuff! I'm glad you got it sorted.

Have a look at the elements - there's probably a little gap in the lines somewhere. You can get touch up pens that fill the gap and connect the lines again.

Can get it from Halfords (Cheaper than some of the ebay ones I saw).

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_255229

Another 10 minutes of work and it can be 100% fixed Thumbs Up

Post #367225 Thu Dec 20 2012 2:44pm
RRSTDV8

Finally got around to looking at the demister on my RRS today.

After removing the spoiler the screen connector was an absolute Censored to get apart even with WD40. I found that one of the connections was fairly crozzly. Checked the continuity of the wires from the connector to the screen - no break in the wires. Good. Turned on the screen demist and checked for voltage in the loom side of the connector - a little over 12V. Good. Therefore the problem is in the connector as thought.

Cleaned up the connector and put it back together. Checked for voltage across the screen with the demister turned on. About 11-12V. Good.

Put it all back together and rechecked for voltage across the elements.

As the connector isn't in great condition (pictures to follow once I get them off my phone) I'm thinking about replacing it. I guess it'll need to be something like a "choc block" but if it keeps working for now I'll leave it alone.

What's annoying is that I had a local LR dealer look at it. After telling me that warranty doesn't cover it "because it's glass" and thus I owed them £100 for their time, they told me that I needed to replace the rear screen! Although this happened last winter, I'm tempted to write to the dealership and ask for my money back... Yet another example of Censored poor LR dealership service.

Edit:
Here are images of the rear screen demist connector. (Better size in my gallery)

2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Last edited by RRSTDV8 on Tue Jan 01 2013 8:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #368169 Tue Jan 01 2013 5:21pm
kav1187

Please don't use choc blocks! They should be banned Evil or Very Mad And they won't keep the moisture out so will cause you problems in the future. The problem is the male/female end of the bullet connector on the end of the wire. You'd be better off ordering a new connector from LR and doing the job properly.

At worst, use spade connectors and wrap them up tight but please don't use choc blocks Censored Evil or Very Mad Bow down

Post #368171 Tue Jan 01 2013 5:53pm
RRSTDV8

I'd much prefer to use a LR connector if one can be ordered. As you say, spade connectors in some form of protection would be a reasonable alternative.

Anyway, if the thing works for the rest of the winter then it can be done during dryer/warmer weather in the spring Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #368172 Tue Jan 01 2013 6:14pm
RRSTDV8

I reckon this would do the job perfectly:

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_LC2KIT.html 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #368183 Tue Jan 01 2013 10:19pm
kav1187

That's the same connector isn't it? That site is brilliant...will be useful for my vw golf project Smile

On second thought...it might cause you problems if you ever need a new rear window as the connectors won't match

Post #368188 Tue Jan 01 2013 11:10pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Well .... after a long delay mostly caused by illness I finally had an opportunity to look at my rear demister. Following the procedures posted by Kav and others it was clear the corroded connection was my problem too. Cleaned up the female side by rolling up a small rectangle of 240 grit wet and dry paper into a tiny tube with the abrasive side outward and then reversed the process to make a tiny tube with the abrasive side inward to clean up the male side. Pushed the connector back together and then tested the screen by starting up the engine and hitting the switch. Couldn't seem to detect voltage across the heating elements but I was a bit worried about damaging them with the sharp probes on the multimeter. It was actually simpler to just 'huff' on the screen and after a few minutes off heating this worked really well and it was possible to see if every element was working by the pattern of condensation clearing over the elements individually. Luckily they all seemed to be working fine.
Agree with the comments in previous posts the whole design is hopeless and obviously water can get in everywhere. I will swop the connector for a better one in the summer when it is more pleasant to work on the car. Meanwhile very pleased if this works through the rest of the winter. My favourite kind of fix - no cost! Very Happy That just leaves me with one more job which is solving the problem of offside rear suspension drooping overnight. Either a leak somewhere or a faulty height sensor maybe. Thanks everyone! 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #368458 Sat Jan 05 2013 4:01pm
kav1187

Great news! Another win for the DIY brigade Thumbs Up

Post #368654 Tue Jan 08 2013 3:05pm
Rangster

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I took mine into Stratstone for an issue with the HRW and they told me it wasn't working and that it wasn't covered by the warranty (??).

I checked the fuse and that appeared to work, so I took it back to Stratstone asking had they checked the connector under the rear spoiler. They told me it wouldn't be that as it only affected earlier vehicles, but would check it (why they couldn't check it when it was in previously??).

Needless to say the issue was a poor connection under the rear spoiler. They had apparantly never had a later vehicle with the problem but have now reported it to JLR.

Some use it will be reporting it to JLR, as nothing has been done to solve the problem from day 1.

Anyway thanks to this thread I was able to inform the dealer of what the likely problem was - cheers! RRS TDV8 MY2010 Stornoway Grey
Full Exterior Autobiography Factory Upgrade
Piano Black Interior Trim inc Steering Wheel
Ivory Premium Perforated Leather
22" 5 spoke "Style 7" Diamond Turned Alloys
Towing Pack
Diesel Tuning Box
Privacy Glass
Side Steps

Best vehicle I've ever driven.

Current garage also includes;
Mercedes 320 CDI CLS
TVR Tuscan S

Post #370479 Tue Jan 22 2013 11:31am
Rangster

Rangster wrote:
I took mine into Stratstone for an issue with the HRW and they told me it wasn't working and that it wasn't covered by the warranty (??).

I checked the fuse and that appeared to work, so I took it back to Stratstone asking had they checked the connector under the rear spoiler. They told me it wouldn't be that as it only affected earlier vehicles, but would check it (why they couldn't check it when it was in previously??).

Needless to say the issue was a poor connection under the rear spoiler. They had apparantly never had a later vehicle with the problem but have now reported it to JLR.

Some use it will be reporting it to JLR, as nothing has been done to solve the problem from day 1.

Anyway thanks to this thread I was able to inform the dealer of what the likely problem was - cheers!

Should this thread be under the "Faults and Fixes" section?? RRS TDV8 MY2010 Stornoway Grey
Towing Pack
Diesel Tuning Box
Privacy Glass
Side Steps

Mercedes 320 CDI CLS
TVR Tuscan S

Post #370488 Tue Jan 22 2013 1:47pm
Rangster

Just an update;

Although the dealer sort of fixed it, it goes back in tomorrow to have the HRW issue sorted again as it has failed to work once again.

Whilst it is in they will also be looking at the pre-heater (again), the passenger mirror folding in too far and hitting the window, the audio system giving out high pitch screams and a failing soft close on the tailgate.

Don't you just love em! RRS TDV8 MY2010 Stornoway Grey
Towing Pack
Diesel Tuning Box
Privacy Glass
Side Steps

Mercedes 320 CDI CLS
TVR Tuscan S

Post #381235 Mon Apr 22 2013 10:17pm
Finn mc Missile

Finland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

Hi, love this forum.
10 min browsing, 20 min repairing, done Cool
Mine fault was also bad connection.

My 5 cents to this topic: corroded connector is fairly impossible to open with fingertips. I found there's a small gap next to securing clip, between connector halves. Stick small flat screwdriver, about 3mm or 1/8" wide to that gap and gently twist. Connector separates by Zero effort.

Post #504494 Sun Sep 04 2016 12:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>