Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sparky8181

England 
Advice needed

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum and im looking for a bit of advice...........

I'm in the market for a RRS in the 15k-20k range, and was wondering,

What do I need to look out for?
Any known faults that I shoud check for?
Any recalls that should of been done?

But the main one, would you choose mileage over age? I have found a real nice one with all the toys but its done 107k, its got FSH and has just been serviced and had the belts done, would 107k put you off? Ive come from a BMW 5 series that had 149k and still drove as good as the day it came out the factory, can I expect the same from a rrs? Or should I get a lower spec with less miles?

Thanks
Sparky Thumbs Up

Post #361670 Fri Nov 02 2012 8:20pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Condition is more important than age or mileage. If the car has obviously been well looked after and had all of the expensive things done (such as belts) then that's a better indicator of how good it's likely to be than age or mileage is.

Having said that, I think that the age and mileage ought to follow each other. Older vehicles with low mileage suggests a car that has only done short journeys and these aren't that good for the engine. A younger car with high mileage has likely spent a lot of time on motorways / A roads with everything up to temperature etc. This might be considered a better proposition. The only slight issue is that some stuff does need changing with mileage so a higher mileage young car might just require a bit of effort early on in your ownership but other than that, there is no reason why it should be an issue. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #361726 Sat Nov 03 2012 3:39pm
B3EEE

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

a common big but not too expensive problem is knocking noises from suspension and Anti roll bar bushes etc  RR Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange 4.2 V8 First edition

Prefer RR Vouge S/C but they don't do Orange !

Post #361738 Sat Nov 03 2012 5:32pm
jack.bauer

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Older vehicles with low mileage suggests a car that has only done short journeys and these aren't that good for the engine. A younger car with high mileage has likely spent a lot of time on motorways / A roads with everything up to temperature etc. This might be considered a better proposition.

interested to hear more about why this is. sorry, not a hardcore petrol head!

Post #361743 Sat Nov 03 2012 6:15pm
sparky8181

England 

Thanks,

I think I will have a test in the one ive been watching with 107k, I was told by the dealer that it belonged to a fella who was part owner of Leeds United so he must of had a few quid, with this in mind I would like to think he hasnt scrimped on getting the maintenance done on his car so should all be good, he also told me that its just been serviced and had the belts done.

Post #361847 Sun Nov 04 2012 8:46pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Or his driven it as a throw away vehicle and isn't bothered about issues Whistle

Post #361849 Sun Nov 04 2012 8:57pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Not sure that being rich is a guarantee that someone has any mechanical sympathy... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #361850 Sun Nov 04 2012 9:00pm
mark hamster

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

i had mine on auto trader for 3 weeks.only done 42k and the guy on this forum said it would be a £22k at a dealers so i thought the 20k i was asking was very fare as its got some good extra's 22" alloys,privacy,side steps ect ect.Got many calls from people offering me less money than ones with double milage..!! was going to trade,was offered 19k, then the car i was going to buy sold.! so just had it serviced,m o t'd and going to keep another year now as its been a very reliable car.! but must say thought it was going to be an easy car to sell this time of year Shocked

Post #361860 Sun Nov 04 2012 10:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sparky8181

England 

mark hamster wrote:
i had mine on auto trader for 3 weeks.only done 42k and the guy on this forum said it would be a £22k at a dealers so i thought the 20k i was asking was very fare as its got some good extra's 22" alloys,privacy,side steps ect ect.Got many calls from people offering me less money than ones with double milage..!! was going to trade,was offered 19k, then the car i was going to buy sold.! so just had it serviced,m o t'd and going to keep another year now as its been a very reliable car.! but must say thought it was going to be an easy car to sell this time of year Shocked

Sure your not tempted to sell???

Post #361876 Mon Nov 05 2012 12:16am
mark hamster

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

dont think so now but if someone knocked on me door with 20k in there hand then i might Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #361983 Mon Nov 05 2012 6:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1