if it grows any more I won't get one in my garage Crying or Very sad Big Cry

Post #367380 Fri Dec 21 2012 10:54pm
defender_uk

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

deposit paid....and waiting....lol

Post #368111 Mon Dec 31 2012 7:22pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Having spent some time reading and watching reviews of the new FFRR, I'm beginning to wonder what the RRS is for in the forthcoming LR line up. I think it's going to be seen very much as the "poor man's Range Rover" - the Range Rover for those who can't afford the real thing. A bit like the Boxster/Cayman are compared to the 911 in some eyes.

The FFRR, especially with the TDV8, appears to have the "can drive quickly around corners as well as being good off road" angle covered that the RRS does currently. Indeed, the FFRR appears to be just about the perfect vehicle - fabulous luxury / comfort, outstanding road manners, excellent performance and more than adequate (for most realistic needs) off road ability. Just a shame it's priced at £80k ++. The RRS will be in the £50-60k region. Which is why the RRS will sell well and be seen as...the poor man's Range Rover.

It's bloody tempting to wait a couple of years and pick up a 2012/13 FFRR for 2014/15 RRS money. That will be a hell of a buy... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #368118 Mon Dec 31 2012 8:17pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I disagree, i see the sport as a younger mans motor and the FFRR for lets say the older end of the market Thumbs Up well i believe thats the markets they are both aimed at. Laughing i went for the sport because thats the motor i wanted, i can afford a FFRR but that isn't the vehicle i wanted. Whistle Besides i'm at the younger end of the sport scale. Thumbs Up

Post #368125 Mon Dec 31 2012 9:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Not sure it's an age thing but you might be correct. I'm 41 - does that make me RRS or FFRR in your view? Whistle

I went for the Sport because I thought the FFRR would be a bit too soft/rolly polly for SWMBO's sensitivities - she feels car sick in "floaty" vehicles. The new FFRR appears to have got rid of the old Rangie wallow to be more tied down like the Sport.

If I had £90k to spare, I'd have an order in for the FFRR TDV8. Sadly I haven't Big Cry

The more I see the new FFRR the more I want one. A lot more.

Now, where're my balaclava and swag bag... Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #368140 Tue Jan 01 2013 9:56am
defender_uk

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

The 'poor man's RR' argument has always been about. See Clarkson on TG when RRS firsdt came out in 05. It didn't last long that impression, as the car is seen as being in it's own right. I am sure thast the 2014 RRS will also hold it's own sway and not fall to that ignoble tag.

Post #368148 Tue Jan 01 2013 12:16pm
sparky8181

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Ady 555 wrote:
I disagree, i see the sport as a younger mans motor and the FFRR for lets say the older end of the market Thumbs Up well i believe thats the markets they are both aimed at. Laughing i went for the sport because thats the motor i wanted, i can afford a FFRR but that isn't the vehicle i wanted. Whistle Besides i'm at the younger end of the sport scale. Thumbs Up

I've also always thought of the sport as the young mans choice of RR, but having seen the new FF I would love to have one parked on the drive, not sure if that's to do with the stunning new looks or me clocking up the years and getting old (31 now Laughing )

I'm sure the new sport will be equally stunning and there is definitely a place in the market for it. MY07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway & Ivory

Mods So Far: Side steps - Smoked Side Repeaters - OEM Style Signature LED Front Lights - LED Side Lights - LED Interior Lighting - 2012 Autobigraphy Style Front Grill & Side Vents - 2012 Rear LED Lights

Planned Mods: Paint My Brembo's - Colour Code Mirrors - Rear Interior Light Mod - GVIF

Post #368150 Tue Jan 01 2013 12:33pm
Mad Ferret

England 

I don't believe it is a poor mans Range Rover at all, I have put in a refundable deposit and a letter of intent as I prefer the sport range as it is a smaller car and personally looks much better. I hope and pretty sure the new sport will look stunning with a few Evoque styling cues. My plan is a the 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography. If I wanted a new FFRR I would have ordered one as I was offered an early build slot but personally they are way to big and overkill and TBH I don't agree with some people that it is stunning. I believe the Sport is aimed at a younger person.

Just my opinion of course!

Post #368209 Wed Jan 02 2013 1:44pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Agree they are both great. After owning a FF and now the sport i will be looking at the new sport not the new FF. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #368311 Thu Jan 03 2013 3:47pm
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Right now I'm leaning more toward FFRR Smile I think it's an absolute perfection of a car. X5, cayenne nor nothing else doesn't even come close to look as perfect as the new FFRR. Vadim A.

Post #368348 Fri Jan 04 2013 1:17am
Mad Ferret

England 

Another render

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2013/01/futur...range.html

Post #368368 Fri Jan 04 2013 1:53pm
sparky8181

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mad Ferret wrote:
Another render

Just a big evoque then if thats anything to go by MY07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway & Ivory

Mods So Far: Side steps - Smoked Side Repeaters - OEM Style Signature LED Front Lights - LED Side Lights - LED Interior Lighting - 2012 Autobigraphy Style Front Grill & Side Vents - 2012 Rear LED Lights

Planned Mods: Paint My Brembo's - Colour Code Mirrors - Rear Interior Light Mod - GVIF

Post #368369 Fri Jan 04 2013 2:02pm
JEDS_SDV6

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Luxury Alaska White

im buying 100% cant wait Very Happy J.DAVIES

Post #368606 Mon Jan 07 2013 6:36pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Mad Ferret wrote:
Another render

Id take the comments more seriously if this journo could spell

"It's been a hit with the trendy suburbanites and downtown corporate suites here and in Europe - although in the latter land they're mainly used for transporting hit-men and smugglers."

SUITES indeed, maybe he is more used to reviewing sofas!

I had a poke about the new Full Fat, and the build quality is right up there with BMW etc, especially all the bits like door frames where they used to look like the guy fitting them had dropped them (look along the top of your door frame and you will see what I mean)
The new RRS will no doubt be to the same standard, and if all being well, I dare say I would get one next time around.
I had a play around with the electric boot on both a FF and the RRS next to it, and the FFs was so much smother (kind of glad I don't have that in mine.)
The dealer also said that with the aluminium body, shaving 500kg, means the co2 emissions bring the road tax down to freelander levels Thumbs Up

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #368936 Thu Jan 10 2013 6:03pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Just throwing this out there, but, do you think that the V8 petrol N/A and S/C may disappear from the RRS in the near future with the pressure of emissions, EU6 in Sept 2014, etc?

Jag have just introduced a 3.0l V6 S/C with 340bhp in certain markets. Do you think LR will do the same with the RRS? Perhaps a 3.8l V6 with S/C that could realise a useful 440bhp and in a vehicle with 300kg less weight offer similar performance figures as the 5.0l S/C does now.

You just have to look at VW/Audi who seem to be leading the way in smaller engines with both Turbo- & Super-charging to get the power they want, but, with less emissions and higher efficiency...

So what do you think RRSporters...? We couldn't come to a conclusion as the copius beer drank got in the way, but, with a slightly sore but sober head I don't see why not if the figures add up... and the motor could be used across a range(no pun intended) of cars in various states of tune making economies of scale work in its favour there also...

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #369103 Sat Jan 12 2013 12:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>