RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Its 2 months old and walks the talk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

bigdwarf

India 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Its 2 months old and walks the talk

My RRS HSE TDV6 is 2 months old and has 5k km on the clock. Just returned from a drive from luxembourg to the german alps to prague & back (1.5k miles) with bits of minor offroading. 4 people in the car and a full boot of luggage.

Observations:
1) Not one false alarm, real or imagined problem
2) Trip monitor says I averaged 26.3 (I dont quite buy that but how off could it be)
3) Not one complaint out of the guys sitting in the back - super smooth ride

Nitpickings:
1) This thing is a bug magnet. There was genocide on the front grill and windscreen (anyone know of some lube to apply that deflects the suckers instead of the bllod & gore splatter, pls let me know). The wipers and suds dont do it
2) The V8 ought to have air-cooled seats as standard

Conclusion: This is one cool vehicle. Sure, it can be improved upon (mostly form rather than substance - and the V8 should take care of a lot of that) as has been discussed in various threads, but prospective buyers could do worse than choosing an RRS. RRS 2.7TDV6 HSE Java Black, Sun Roof, Tasmod Sills

Post #38669 Mon Jun 12 2006 3:17pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

BigDwarf, glad to hear your trip, and impressions of the RRS are top notch.

Sorry to go a bit Off Topic however we are planning a visit/night in Luxembourg on our way yo Cyprus.

Can you recommend sights to see, nice place to stay (Not really too bothered about budget).

Planning to actually stay in Luxembourg itself but if you can recommend anywhere nicer please feel free!
Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #38672 Mon Jun 12 2006 3:20pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Sounds like you had a great time Bigdwarf.

I agree about the bugs, it took three attempts to get rid of all of the crud off my windscreen after returning from holiday last week. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #38678 Mon Jun 12 2006 3:23pm
bigdwarf

India 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Oh, and one more thing (and I think ST's raised it earlier) - pls double check when dealers tell you that the sat nav CD covers "all" of europe. I didnt. Mine went blank at the german/czech border.

ST will send you a PM on your travels RRS 2.7TDV6 HSE Java Black, Sun Roof, Tasmod Sills

Post #38693 Mon Jun 12 2006 3:37pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

To help keep a crystal clear screen ( bug free ) try RAIN-X .... it makes it very hard for the bugs to stick - plus they will wash off more easily. Very Happy 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Last edited by MDP on Tue Jun 13 2006 11:00am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #38716 Mon Jun 12 2006 4:05pm
TB

More info please MDP.

What is this RAINEX, is it a glass polish / treatment. Or is it an additive which you add to the screen wash bottle.

Where do we get it from? Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #38739 Mon Jun 12 2006 6:29pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
To help keep a crystal clear screen ( bug free ) try RAINEX - it makes it very hard for the bugs to stick - plus they will wash off more easily. Very Happy

There are two camps of thought re Rainex/ombrello type product.

Firstly they do create a very smooth bonded surface on the glass which helps repell dirt, grime, tree drip, bugs and of course water - you can very nearly drive without wipers in moderate rain since the water beads immediately and runs off.

Secondly you do get an awful amount of smearing going on which in light rain becomes a bl##dy nuisance. Occassionally the sun hits the window at the wrong angle and you get smearing too, without rain!

These products are a polymer that you 'rub in' to the glass, rather like a window polish, however it then requires quite a bit of elbow grease to 'buff' the glass up to a shine - Ombrello is available on line, Rainex thru Halfords about a tenner a pop. The coating last about 10,000 miles with - though on the XC90 after 16,000 miles the stuff was still driving me up the wall with smearing.

I'd lay off it myself having put it on the XC90 and the Merc and rather regretted it, no way will I put it on the RRS front screen, however it works really well on the side windows where it doesn't suffer from smearing. P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Last edited by BoldlyGo on Mon Jun 12 2006 9:33pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #38777 Mon Jun 12 2006 9:22pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Boldlygo - I didn't have a problem with smearing - I did take a great deal of time applying it though. I think Rainex is the daddy! As you said doing 70mph you don't need the wipers! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #38783 Mon Jun 12 2006 9:31pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

Very Annoyed wrote:
Boldlygo - I didn't have a problem with smearing - I did take a great deal of time applying it though. I think Rainex is the daddy! As you said doing 70mph you don't need the wipers!

VA - I was using Ombrello myself, though witnessed the same prob on a mates Defender 110 and he had been told by the prev owner that it had been treated with Rainex.

I blame the XC90, the heavilly raked front screen could well have accentuated all manner of diffraction/refraction/lensing .. another good reason for kicking it into touch. Wink P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #38788 Mon Jun 12 2006 9:39pm
Zipperman19

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I use a product called Rejex. It's made by corrosion-x and it's great. You can use it as a car wax and it lasts a long time. It's great on the RRS which takes forever to wax. It lasts a minimum of 4 months and you can put it all over the car, windows, headlamps, painted surfaces, anything, It was designed for and is used for commercial airline companies to wax their planes.

Post #38799 Tue Jun 13 2006 5:28am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Zipperman19 wrote:
It was designed for and is used for commercial airline companies to wax their planes.

What about my FIGHTERBOMBER Wink 

Post #38892 Tue Jun 13 2006 10:57am
MDP

United Kingdom 

TB wrote:
Sounds like you had a great time Bigdwarf.

I agree about the bugs, it took three attempts to get rid of all of the crud off my windscreen after returning from holiday last week.

TB wrote:
More info please MDP.

What is this RAINEX, is it a glass polish / treatment. Or is it an additive which you add to the screen wash bottle.

Where do we get it from?

Here you go.....

Post #38893 Tue Jun 13 2006 10:58am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Rainex works a treat on the house windows too!
At work we did an experiment comparing these "films" on ships where cleaning the bridge windows clear of salt deposits was difficult. When the reps for each maker came onboard the first thing they all said was not to use it on windows with a wiper.... wipers wear it off too quickly and leave smears!
Rainex also have a special cleaner (in a white bottle) that you should use before applying the stuff in the yellow bottle. For some reason they don't sell the two together and most folks only buy the yellow bottle. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Tue Jun 13 2006 11:05am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #38897 Tue Jun 13 2006 11:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

But - put it on and never use your wipers again - simple Wink 

Post #38899 Tue Jun 13 2006 11:05am
TB

Oooohhhhh !!!!

Rainex, Ombrello and Rejex

All I wanted was something to stop the bugs sticking to my screen Shocked

Choices . . . choices . . . choices. Why isn't anything in life simple anymore. Confused Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Post #38940 Tue Jun 13 2006 1:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>