RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Which Winter Tyres for UK roads?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Mihai77

Switzerland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Bali Blue

Where you heading up the mountain on steep roads or just flat? 2010 Bali Blue, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack, Privacy Windows, Sunroof, Steel Tread Plates.

Post #361371 Wed Oct 31 2012 12:00am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

B.Safe wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
The LR approved winter tyres in 275/40/20 are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 suv and the Continental CrossContact Winter. Just in case you wanted to know.

Almost very right and correct Smile

I called LR and they said that the ONLY and ONLY approved winter tyres are Continental CrossContact Winter tyres and Michelins.

I decided and ordered the Continental CrossContact Winter from a local garage for £1,116.
LR asked for £379 per tyre Rolling with laughter

Thank you all.

VERDICT: best winter tyre does not exist Rolling with laughter

Get the one you are happy with but DO JOT GET THE WINTER MICHELINS.

Thumbs Up

Who in LR did you call? The latest tyre approval info is published on topix. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #361373 Wed Oct 31 2012 12:17am
RRSTDV8

Tim in Scotland wrote:
You don't NEED to fit winter tyres to an RRS, the Terrain Response works very well even on 20" wheels and tyres. I ran the length of the UK from Southampton to Stirling the day that Basingstoke got cut off from the rest of the UK on my 20" summer tyres and drove from Gretna to Stirling in up to 4" of the white stuff on the M74 without any incident, some of the "designer" SUV's (notably Q7's and X5's) were mostly stuck in it going nowhere because they were running high speed ULP road tyres.
I did run mine after that on winter tyres and also run my current Evoque on a set from October to March, but they are not a necessity in the UK

Winter tyres are not just about snow. They're about working better in cold temperatures. Sure, a decent 4x4 on summer tyres will get around but the same vehicle on winter tyres will get around better and, crucially, will stop better when required. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #361374 Wed Oct 31 2012 12:20am
B.Safe

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

RRSTDV8 wrote:
B.Safe wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
The LR approved winter tyres in 275/40/20 are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 suv and the Continental CrossContact Winter. Just in case you wanted to know.

Almost very right and correct Smile

I called LR and they said that the ONLY and ONLY approved winter tyres are Continental CrossContact Winter tyres and Michelins.

I decided and ordered the Continental CrossContact Winter from a local garage for £1,116.
LR asked for £379 per tyre Rolling with laughter

Thank you all.

VERDICT: best winter tyre does not exist Rolling with laughter

Get the one you are happy with but DO JOT GET THE WINTER MICHELINS.

Thumbs Up

Who in LR did you call? The latest tyre approval info is published on topix.

Hi RRSTDV8,

It does not matter anymore now. In order not to void the warranty I paid attention also at what you said anyway and decided to choose the Continentals. I am sure you are more right than the persons I spoke on the phone.

Regards,

Thumbs Up /|\

Post #361376 Wed Oct 31 2012 12:23am
RRSTDV8

I doubt you'll go wrong with Continentals. They have their nay-sayers but they are consistent tyre review winners across many tyre types. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #361380 Wed Oct 31 2012 12:38am
B.Safe

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I doubt you'll go wrong with Continentals. They have their nay-sayers but they are consistent tyre review winners across many tyre types. Thumbs Up

For UK roads they will be ok. I don't know hoe they will perform when I go up in the Alps in Switzerland through villages.

Thumbs Up /|\

Post #361382 Wed Oct 31 2012 1:05am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Just because L/R approve a certain make of tyre, it doesn't mean that you have to fit that particular brand to keep within the warranty criteria, but if you fit a different size of tyre outside L/R recommendations then that might be a different ball game. Whistle

Post #361395 Wed Oct 31 2012 9:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

Indeed so. The observation of LR's approved tyres was just that, an observation.

I have 55 profile tyres on at the moment instead of the 50 profile required by LR. Warranty work has been carried out on suspension components. I think it comes down to the dealer where tyre sizes are concerned and whether they play ball or not. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #361400 Wed Oct 31 2012 9:20am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

^^^ Totally agree, for example, my dealer sells new sports & FFRR with the option of 22" Overfinch wheels Thumbs Up At least i know where i stand should i choose to fit wrong wheels/tyres to my sport Wink

Post #361401 Wed Oct 31 2012 9:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B.Safe

Ady 555 wrote:
Just because L/R approve a certain make of tyre, it doesn't mean that you have to fit that particular brand to keep within the warranty criteria, but if you fit a different size of tyre outside L/R recommendations then that might be a different ball game. Whistle

Well, to late now Big Cry
I did not know that I can put on the car any tyre make.
Now, I allready paid for conti winter tyres, I will make the call to see if I can change the order.

I prefer more Scorpion "Winter 275/40 R20 106V XL Energiesparreifen" or "Scorpion ICE + SNOW 275/40 R20 106V XL RBL".

By the way, what "RBL" on a tyre description stands for?

Thumbs Up /|\

Post #361405 Wed Oct 31 2012 9:27am
RRSTDV8

RBL is Raised Black Letters I believe. It just tells you that it's not got white lettering on the sidewall as some 4x4 tyres have. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #361440 Wed Oct 31 2012 3:36pm
oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

Just fitted my Vreds for winter. Used them last winter then replaced with contis for the summer. My insurer certainly did want to know for information.

RRSTDVB also raises a good point about stopping distance. The Vreds (or so the techy detail says on the net..) do stop better in the cold winter but not so in the summer. In fact, the stopping distance in the summer with Vreds is enough to make a difference when it counts.

Just a point...

Cold weather coming this weekend... 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE in Artic Frost. 20" 2010 HST Alloys, sidesteps, Hawke tips, plus minor bits and bobs along with a remap. Four spike spiders ready for the Alps again now tucked up in their garage boxes...

Post #365764 Fri Dec 07 2012 3:10pm
alanad

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

I got the Michelin Latitude Alpins and very happy with them so far. 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic, Corris Grey with contrast Santorini Black Panoramic Roof, lunar interior, privacy glass, upgraded Meridian system, cooled 18 way front seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive xenons, large screen wash bottle.

Gone: 3.0 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black, Ivory/Lunar interior, grand black lacquer finish, HK Logic 7.1 Surround, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons, heated steering wheel.

Gone: Jaguar XF Luxury, Pearl Grey, Dove Interior

Post #365861 Sat Dec 08 2012 2:49pm
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

oxford-boy wrote:
JThe Vreds (or so the techy detail says on the net..) do stop better in the cold winter but not so in the summer.

I have noticed exactly the same - CONFIRMED. Vadim A.

Post #365871 Sat Dec 08 2012 5:08pm
mse

United Kingdom 

I know a true winter bias tyre goes the extra step...but I've always been happy with m&s and now they come with peirelli m&s which I personally find great Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #365924 Sat Dec 08 2012 10:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>