Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Saving a Disco 3 with my RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Saving a Disco 3 with my RRS

http://youtu.be/mdHHeXap63g

Video of me pulling a D3 out of a sticky situation. Thumbs Up

I'd just driven through the same spot and had the RRS briefly stuck - TC light flashing and going nowhere (I think this might have been one of those situations where DSC wasn't helping). Just calmed everything down and drove out ok. The D3 wasn't able to. Not sure why as the LRE instructor was talking her through what to do.

Anyway, she generously shared the clip so I'm doing the same. Easy pull as I was by then on a track - the RRS barely noticed the D3 on the rope. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #358994 Mon Oct 08 2012 11:54am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Ain't much tension on that rope!!!

Post #358997 Mon Oct 08 2012 12:06pm
RRSTDV8

The ropes were described as being "quite stretchy" by the LRE chaps - I think the Disco just needed that initial bit of help to get it rolling and then basically drove out. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #359000 Mon Oct 08 2012 12:43pm
Gerico

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue
Re: Saving a Disco 3 with my RRS

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Easy pull.......

Wink Whistle

Sorry couldn't resist..... Cool

Post #359031 Mon Oct 08 2012 7:10pm
MrsClayton

United Kingdom 

Lol, thanks for that. Of course I'd have gotten through that if you hadn't trashed the track Wink

Only teasing, thanks for towing me out!!

Clare D3, not a baby Disco!

Post #359875 Tue Oct 16 2012 2:19pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

That wet grass looks treacherous.... Rolling with laughter Whistle FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #359876 Tue Oct 16 2012 2:28pm
RRSTDV8

Hi Clare Smile

Yeah, sorry for stirring up the mud. The irony is that if the guy in the D4 hadn't been sorting his kids out, he would have gone before me and it might have been me getting stuck!

Chatting to the lead instructor at the start, he'd put the Freelander and the Evoque at the front of the group specifically because they're lighter and don't tend to dig the ground quite so much as the heavier RRS/Discos do. I think we saw the truth of that. As the guy said at the end, the D3/RRS is nearly a tonne heavier than the FL/Evoque on tyres that aren't that much wider.

I'm still surprised that such an innocuous bit of muddy grass had such an effect. I think what happened, with me anyway, is that the vehicle slid sideways on the slight cross slope, the DSC kicked in which killed the power. The front and rear wheels then just sat on the edges of the slight ditch and spun up when the power came back in. Stopping and then gently tickling the power allowed it to grip. I accept that I probably messed the ground enough for your tyres to then struggle.

It was a fun afternoon though although I found, when I got home, that I'd managed to pull off one of the soft plastic lips below the nose of my Sport. Not sure where I did it but I'm thinking I might just take the other one off rather than replace the lost one and risk doing the same thing again in the future. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #359914 Tue Oct 16 2012 10:41pm
mse

United Kingdom 

To be honest - and no offence - it was probably driver error, or at least a low level of driver skill and appropriate technology. if the dsc killed the power, why was it on.

My problem with all the technology (and i rate it really really highly) if you didnt cut your teeth off road or extreme off roading in earlier models with 0 aids then the skill arent there...you can get a long way with skill and appropriate use of tools.

I remember having an argument with a guy, when marshalling an off road course, because he refused to believe that his discovery could be in high range on an off road course...he also wouldnt believe that going backwards and using reverse is a valid way to tackle a problem...i enjoyed him getting stuck

That said wet grass is an arse. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #359953 Wed Oct 17 2012 4:45pm
RRSTDV8

No offense taken Thumbs Up . The whole point of the day is to get a feel for your vehicle off tarmac. It's just a bit of fun. And definitely intended for those with no experience - people like me.

I took SWMBO to Gaydon for a "taster" session in an RRS and the instructor their said that the FFRR, Disco and RRS are all great off road but rubbish for learning off road driving becuase the systems cover so many issues without the driver needing to do too much. He said that anyone wanting to learn how to off road should use the Defender because it just levers and pedals. No fancy gubbins. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #360085 Thu Oct 18 2012 8:03pm
mse

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
No offense taken Thumbs Up . The whole point of the day is to get a feel for your vehicle off tarmac. It's just a bit of fun. And definitely intended for those with no experience - people like me.

I took SWMBO to Gaydon for a "taster" session in an RRS and the instructor their said that the FFRR, Disco and RRS are all great off road but rubbish for learning off road driving becuase the systems cover so many issues without the driver needing to do too much. He said that anyone wanting to learn how to off road should use the Defender because it just levers and pedals. No fancy gubbins.

Thats very true and older models.

Although you can manually enable everything in standard mode and learn what you need where...except diff locks and fancy old school "manual traction control" Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #360165 Fri Oct 19 2012 4:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1