RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Whaddon 4x4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

fkarim

United Kingdom 
Whaddon 4x4

Went to Whaddon on Sunday. Was my first time off-roading so didn't do anything too extreme. However, did slightly more exciting stuff like deeper mud, tougher and deeper ruts, steeper and longer climbs and descends than these videos but the Mrs. was more interested in watching the action rather than recording it...

http://youtu.be/WfAv7UMgp9E

http://youtu.be/Ua11pPqMlMs

Very impressed with the performance of my RRS given I had no prior offroad experience and have road-biased tyres which are quite worn too.

Some pictures of the aftermath:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

People were giving strange looks and some were even pointing fingers and shaking heads until I got a chance to get the car washed. The guys at my local carwash weren't too impressed either Laughing They did a great job though Thumbs Up

Post #356760 Mon Sep 17 2012 12:10am
Lookers Park Royal

Wow, fair play! I live just down the road from Whaddon and pop in there occasionally (but in my Defender!!); not surprised you got some strange looks!

James Thumbs Up

Post #356763 Mon Sep 17 2012 5:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

James @ Lookers Park Royal wrote:
Wow, fair play! I live just down the road from Whaddon and pop in there occasionally (but in my Defender!!); not surprised you got some strange looks!

James Thumbs Up

That was upon returning to London - people here don't expect 4x4s to go offroad I guess. Whaddon was OK. Although now that I am thinking about it, apart from a couple of old Defenders, mine was the only LR there Exclamation No X5/X6, Q7, ML, Cayenne in sight either. Should've raised an alarm in my head.

There was no damage apart from scratching the wheels a little bit. The allloys were all kerbed anyway and going to be replaced with a winter set soon. Had planned the trip with that in mind Thumbs Up

Post #356764 Mon Sep 17 2012 6:54am
Lookers Park Royal

RRSBoy was so traumatised following taking his Defender G4 there that he sold it immediately after!! It's a very different place in winter.

James Thumbs Up

Post #356765 Mon Sep 17 2012 7:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I can imagine.

Post #356766 Mon Sep 17 2012 7:29am
mse

United Kingdom 

fkarim wrote:
James @ Lookers Park Royal wrote:

James Thumbs Up

That was upon returning to London - people here don't expect 4x4s to go offroad I guess. Whaddon was OK. Although now that I am thinking about it, apart from a couple of old Defenders, mine was the only LR there Exclamation No X5/X6, Q7, ML, Cayenne in sight either. Should've raised an alarm in my head.

There was no damage apart from scratching the wheels a little bit. The allloys were all kerbed anyway and going to be replaced with a winter set soon. Had planned the trip with that in mind Thumbs Up

im not sure in any off road site ive been ive ever seen a bmx, merc - a few toyotas etc...mainly lr's including sports...older sports though Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #356826 Mon Sep 17 2012 5:48pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

mse wrote:
im not sure in any off road site ive been ive ever seen a bmx, merc - a few toyotas etc...mainly lr's including sports...older sports though

Which of these do you think is the main reason, mse:
1. Not capable enough.
2. Owners don't think of these as capable enough.
3. Considered too precious to trash.
4. Bought for reasons other than off road capability.

Post #356829 Mon Sep 17 2012 6:06pm
mse

United Kingdom 

fkarim wrote:
mse wrote:
im not sure in any off road site ive been ive ever seen a bmx, merc - a few toyotas etc...mainly lr's including sports...older sports though

Which of these do you think is the main reason, mse:
1. Not capable enough.
2. Owners don't think of these as capable enough.
3. Considered too precious to trash.
4. Bought for reasons other than off road capability.

For the none BMW/Merc thing - all of the above...equally they are reasonable sh Censored t

The common cheap 4x4 is usually something like a vaxhaul... Suzuki's are always cool Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #356832 Mon Sep 17 2012 6:30pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

For a cheap off roading toy, the Lada Niva is supposedly very good. Simple, decent ground clearance, lockable centre diff, high and low range box. Fixable with spanners, screwdrivers and hammers. None of the "take it a to a dealer to have codes read" rubbish. Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #356853 Mon Sep 17 2012 9:13pm
mse

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
For a cheap off roading toy, the Lada Niva is supposedly very good. Simple, decent ground clearance, lockable centre diff, high and low range box. Fixable with spanners, screwdrivers and hammers. None of the "take it a to a dealer to have codes read" rubbish. Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Ive seen a few of those..not bad - the suzuki albeit it weighs nothing, is very good - cheap and easy Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #356869 Mon Sep 17 2012 10:57pm
RRSTDV8

The Jimny, surprisingly, is quite popular it seems. Again, small and simple. I used one in New Zealand at an off road play place. All fairly simple stuff except one big drop - drive over a lip and the track drops 7m at about 70degs. The thump as it gets to the bottom has to be felt to be believed. They use standard Jimnys except for the airbags which they disable. Very impressive all things considered. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #356874 Mon Sep 17 2012 11:58pm
mse

United Kingdom 

I would agree - i love them...i nearly bought one new just for fun off roading...they are surprisingly good and fun...but im a land rover person and need to tow (and occasionally winch) which is what lets the suzuki down.

We had to assist three - 1 stuck and the other two tied together trying to winch it out...out came the disco, done in 4 seconds...ok a little longer! but i wouldnt hold that against them, just a natural limitation for all the pro points Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #356967 Tue Sep 18 2012 3:43pm
RRSTDV8

Yeah, the need to tow does limit ones choices. Our horse trailer has a max weight of 2.5t so the choice of tow vehicle is even more limited.

I do quite fancy a little Jimny or Niva though. If I ever get involved in picking up rather than beating at shoots, I might get one - be a good little picking up vehicle on farm shoots. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #356981 Tue Sep 18 2012 4:09pm
mse

United Kingdom 

its narrow too - helps get it into places Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #357032 Tue Sep 18 2012 5:24pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

There were a couple of Suzukis there. One was a Grand Vitara that got grounded and was being winched out. The other I saw from a distance so not sure whether it was a Jimny or Vitara. Must say I was surprised to see the Suzukis as I never thought of them as decent offroaders. However, after reading the above, their presence at Whaddon makes a bit more sense now.

Sounds like I made a mistake taking the RRS there but got away with it without any damage Very Happy

Post #357082 Tue Sep 18 2012 10:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>