RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Range rover sport tdv8 07. Low power mode? Then won't start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Fordrsrickc

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Range rover sport tdv8 07. Low power mode? Then won't start

Range rover sport tdv8 07. Low power mode? Then won't start have I bought a lemon?
I have just parted with £23,000 of my hard earned on a Range Rover Sport TDV8 07 61k plate. And after 3 days of having the car I kept getting the message low power mode come up on the radio whilst driving and the volume won't go above 20. Not that I want my volume above this but it is still a concern with a message with a battery symbol.
And to add insult to injury I went outside today to unlock the car and the battery was so flat that the doors wouldn't even unlock, I had to take the clip off the door handle and open manually with the key, the car wouldn't start and not even clicking on the starter motor atall, I opened the bonnet and was hit by a strong burnt electrical smell.
I got a jump start and the dealer has taken it away for a battery alternator check, but my question is why did I keep getting these series of events from low power mode to not starting and now a burnt electrical smell, could anybody shed any light on what the smell could be as its a bit worrying after a week of ownership and poor reliability.
Please help if anyone else has had similar issues. I'm thinking I've bought a lemon.

Post #352323 Mon Jul 30 2012 6:11pm
mikey7985

Wales 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey

I know battery faults cause all sorts of problems with these I wouldnt worry too much I would say your problems are relatively close to the surface rather than in the depths!!!! Keep us posted

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2009 3.6 TDV8 HST

Post #352328 Mon Jul 30 2012 6:31pm
pjb

Everything electrical seems to go wrong with a low battery.

Invest in a new battery if you get it checked & you should find everything will work properly

Had 3 RRS's and all have had low power problems with battery's - sometimes my fault, using the winch too much on the g4 & drenching the alternator in muddy water, but all sorted with a decent charged battery.

You've not bought a lemon yet.

Good luck Paul

L405 Loire Blue
Swift Conqueror 645
Abarth 500c

Post #352329 Mon Jul 30 2012 6:32pm
Fordrsrickc

Thanks for the replies guys, I've just been to the main dealers and spoke to the master technician regarding the electrical burning smell under the bonnet and then on starting issue. And he said it sounds like the alternator has shorted out and drained the battery. And also said it would be £763 to supply and fit a new alternator. £363 for the alternator and the rest is labour for 2.5 hours wow £400 for 2.5 hours labour I think I will buy one myself and fit it myself as I a quite handy with a set of spanners. But is there any how to guides on here Thumbs Up I'll update tomorrow when I've spoke to the dealers

Post #352332 Mon Jul 30 2012 6:49pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Sorry to hear your having problems so soon into ownership Rick, i'm guessing you bought private and without warranty? You really need a warranty with these sports i'm afraid. Alternators and batteries are very common faults on the TDV8. They arn't upto the job of the V8. To change the alternator is a body off job i think so you will need a good workshop. Good luck either way.

Post #352375 Mon Jul 30 2012 9:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The alternator can be done "body on". I think Bobby has the necessary info in his gallery. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #352379 Mon Jul 30 2012 9:51pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

I stand corrected if thats the case RRSTDV8. I'd heard what i posted. Embarassed Sorry.

Post #352382 Mon Jul 30 2012 10:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

No probs Ady. I think there are a number of things that can be done "body on" that might indeed be much easier with the body lifted off. The rear ARB can be changed with the body on apparently but the dealer split the car to do mine.

Sadly they put it back together with the steering wheel slightly out of line. So they're going to have to split the car again to set the steering wheel properly! They're doing the MOT and a couple of other little items at the same time though. Still annoying because they'll need the car for an extra day probably. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #352388 Tue Jul 31 2012 12:00am
Fordrsrickc

Just picked my car up today and the dealer I bought the car from has put a new battery on it and everything seems to be working fine, but there is still a strong smell of burnt electrical under the bonnet which I am convinced is the alternator. But there's is no warning lights on the dash that it's not charging and the heated seats are now very warm and no "low power mode" as yet.
Give it a few days and see if the battery drains again and if so its £763 for a new alternator to be supplied and fitted.
Although I have found an alternator fitting guide on here if I need to tackle it myself.

Post #352490 Tue Jul 31 2012 7:36pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Didn't the stealer test the alternator after fitting the battery Question Confused

Post #352492 Tue Jul 31 2012 7:43pm
Fordrsrickc

Well I Drove home from the dealer where I got the car from with everything fine after them fitting a new battery, heated seats working very warm and no low power message on the radio, and parked outside work to finish my shift, then proceeded to drive home and low and behold the low power mode appeared again,. I'm certain it's the alternator but everywhere I go no fault codes appear and it cost me £95 just for them to plug it up at land rover.
Is there updates for my car my stereo and sat nav screen goes off when I start the engine if that helps.
I now don't trust the car to start every time and I'm only a week into ownership I'm gutted as I love the car and the driving experience. And that's why I'm persevering to get to the bottom of the issue.

Post #352509 Tue Jul 31 2012 9:24pm
uffington15

Spain 

the sat nav screen is the same problem I had and a new battery and alternator has done the trick. Also worth finding out when the car had system updates, mine thought it was still 2008 Silver 2006 2.7 tdv6

Post #352510 Tue Jul 31 2012 9:33pm
mikey7985

Wales 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey

I would say you defo need to get the Alternator tested, I am surprised they fitted a new Batt without testing it to be quite honest!!!! Shocked 2009 3.6 TDV8 HST

Post #352511 Tue Jul 31 2012 9:50pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Fordrsrickc wrote:
Well I Drove home from the dealer where I got the car from with everything fine after them fitting a new battery, heated seats working very warm and no low power message on the radio, and parked outside work to finish my shift, then proceeded to drive home and low and behold the low power mode appeared again,. I'm certain it's the alternator but everywhere I go no fault codes appear and it cost me £95 just for them to plug it up at land rover.
Is there updates for my car my stereo and sat nav screen goes off when I start the engine if that helps.
I now don't trust the car to start every time and I'm only a week into ownership I'm gutted as I love the car and the driving experience. And that's why I'm persevering to get to the bottom of the issue.

Take it to a local independent, they will more than likely not charge you, my local indie doesnt Very Happy 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #352527 Wed Aug 01 2012 1:42am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

More often than not the alternator kills the battery, but as mikey says, i'm surprised the dealer didn't test the alternator Shocked I'd be on the phone to them first thing this morning asking questions, they shouldn't charge you another £95 because you still have the same problem only with a new battery. Big Cry Alternator if i was a betting man, which i arn't. Laughing

Post #352535 Wed Aug 01 2012 7:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>