RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Defender and RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

disco4x4au

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Santorini Black
Defender and RRS

Couple of videos from our last training day, on a clay hill just after a rainy week. First is a new Defender on mud tyres, attempting it 3 or 4 times:

&feature=youtu.be

Second is my RRS on all-terrains in Rock-Crawl.

&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,

Gordon 2015 RRS SDV6 SE, Santorini Black, GOE 2-way HS rods, Traxide dual battery, 275/55R20 Nitto TerraGraplers

2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE - GOE 3-way HS rods, GOE underbody plates and sliders, 275/65R18 Courgia MT

Post #349413 Mon Jul 02 2012 4:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

Why wasn't the Puma's traction control working - I doubt it would have had an issue if it was - also you carried a bit more momentum so as usual, some of the difference can be put down the driver.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #349414 Mon Jul 02 2012 5:18am
disco4x4au

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Santorini Black

TC on the Defender was working - but (being a manual) it's a fine line between stalling it and spinning the tyres too hard (= no forward momentum in clay!), despite the "no stall" feature. The Defner's TC is just not as aggressive as the Rock-Crawl setting on the newer D4/RRS. There are 2 or 3 other comparison videos that highlight the difference.

On his last attempt he had just as much momentum as the RRS. Although you can't see it, at the point where the Defner stops, the driver-side rear wheel is completely off the ground. On that side was an embankment that promised to muck up the pretty paint work if you got the line wrong, so neither of us was willing to go too fast, but in those circumstances, Rock-Crawl wins out against wheel articulation.

Cheers,

Gordon 2015 RRS SDV6 SE, Santorini Black, GOE 2-way HS rods, Traxide dual battery, 275/55R20 Nitto TerraGraplers

2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE - GOE 3-way HS rods, GOE underbody plates and sliders, 275/65R18 Courgia MT

Post #349420 Mon Jul 02 2012 8:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Good show there. I believe people are very surprised at what the RRS can do, as they consider it just a road SUV to take the kids to school.

Personally I do not like to see the other cars parked so close to the exit point, they should be further away, as anything can happen. '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #349429 Mon Jul 02 2012 9:32am
AG09

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

I hate to admit as I am a big fan of the Defender but in most instances, in my experience, the RRS and D3 are better in marginal conditions than the Defender as long as you know how to set the RRS and D3 up.

My V8 Anniversary has an auto box but would still struggle on that kind of terrain. Wet clay is a Censored even on MT's.

The recent snow and ice here saw me taking the RRS on well worn Pirelli scorpions rather than the Defender on new BFG AT's. I lost the Defender three times this year, the RRS on the other hand saved me from a big spill on several occasions with its electrickery. My neighbours couldn't understand why I was taking the Sport and leaving the Defender...!

Nice video and a good looking RRS there... Thumbs Up Allan

Post #349554 Mon Jul 02 2012 8:54pm
Carlo RA

Italy 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

Great videos! Thumbs Up

Post #388071 Sun Jul 07 2013 9:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Poor defender off road driving I'm afraid.

That was driver technique fail Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #388073 Sun Jul 07 2013 9:56pm
Streaky

United Arab Emirates 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Alaska White

Do you know what tire pressures each car was running? The Deafener might have been over-inflated for such a slimmey climb? Ra-Ro Sport Super Dooper Charged.
Ford F350 Super Duty Prototype.
Ni$$@n Patrol 4.8 Overlander.

Post #389876 Thu Jul 25 2013 7:43am
Baja CA

Mexico 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

do you think your outcome would of not been the same without your rear elocker? i have same wheels in 20" and they suck in mud.

cheers

Post #398835 Fri Oct 18 2013 5:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1