Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Transmission noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>

canaryman

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Cairns Blue
Transmission noise

Hi,
I have a problem in so much as the Range Rover "software fix" has not worked.

I have a sort of "rasping chain" noise coming from the front (underneath) of my car. It happens a lot in fifth gear and happens when you have accelerated and then eased off the throttle. It does not affect the driving but it is particularly cold when the engine is cold. It happens intermittently in all gears but is particularly bad in fifth. I have been told that they will have to ask for a fix from Landrover but they do not know exactly what the problem is (it cannot be the problem they thought it was as the software fix would have worked). Anyone else have or heard of similar problems??? Question

Post #36552 Wed May 31 2006 2:30pm
canaryman

Ok, my dealership called this morning to tell me the following. The "resonance" coming from my gear box is definately a know problem. The software fix "normally" fixes it but mine is amongst the few whereby the fix has not worked Rolling Eyes . On Jun 27th a person from Landrover and a person from the gearbox manufacturer (ZF I think) are coming out to have a look and listen to it (although they are trying for a "fix" as we speak. I will let you know of any results when the car comes back. Confused

Post #37325 Tue Jun 06 2006 8:47am
canaryman

I went to dealer on the 27th. I loaded up 2 chaps from Landrover and a chap from the transmission manufacturer (plus my dog in the back). Reproduced the noise quite easily at around 80mph. Landrover area technical rep said he could not hear noise (I told him that it was due to his age as everyone else could hear it). The transmission chap told me that the noise was unique and not the same as the noise that can be produced by the 3rd gear that is fixed by a software upgrade.
To sum up, a fun time was had by all (except the deaf Landrover area rep) and the dealership have my car until the problem is fixed and they have given me the Phaeton back (it does 155mph) on the limiter whilst on the autobahn. I will let you know what happens in due course!? Confused

Post #42489 Wed Jun 28 2006 1:09pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

umm Shocked our car starts to do this noise in the 1. or 2. gear now....... 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #43088 Fri Jun 30 2006 11:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Luke

England 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

My D3 used to do that in 2nd gear, i thought it was the transfer box so i just lived with it. !st Edition RRS S/C, Black on Black.

RRS HSE, Java, Alpaca, Bluetooth, Dynamic Pack, SC Grill, Black Badges, tints all round.
(NOW SOLD)
Ex D3 TDV6S owner

Post #43097 Fri Jun 30 2006 12:29pm
canaryman

XXXAngelXXX wrote:

That is where my noise started and now it can appear in any gear but mostly in 5th. You really should get it into your dealership as it is a "new noise".

The gearbox expert says that it is definately not the gearbox but the technician has no idea what it is.

The are rep for Landrover said, during the course of 2 minutes...."I cannot hear a noise, the noise is very quite to be honest, it is a normal noise".
I told him that I had an appointment to have my ears syringed and I can hear the noise quite clearly as could his colleagues. I further pointed out that he orignally said that there was no noise and then said the noise was very quite and normal. I asked how he could say the noise was quite and normal if he could not hear the noise! Shocked

Bottom line is that they are making a report out for Landrover and see what they say. If they claim it is normal then I will take it back to the dealership on a weekly basis. I will let you know what happens.

Post #43394 Sun Jul 02 2006 7:07pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

canaryman wrote:
XXXAngelXXX wrote:

I will let you know what happens.

me too... 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC

Post #43428 Mon Jul 03 2006 8:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

XXXAngelXXX wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it, it's just some of the cog teeth that have broken off the gears, they rattle around for a while until they are broken into much smaller pieces.....

Apparently they usually rely on the noise of the Disease-all engine to drown it out..! Very Happy L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #43544 Mon Jul 03 2006 5:05pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #43553 Mon Jul 03 2006 5:19pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Martin wrote:
Rolling with laughter

What you laughing at. Shocked Shocked

Laughing Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #43558 Mon Jul 03 2006 5:37pm
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

canaryman...just a head ups...I had gotten used to a similar mechanical noise in my Volvo and in fact had commented to my wife how silent the RRS was when we first drove it...last week, took the XC90 in for a pre-vacation servicing and they noticed the noise also...my bearings were shot on the left rear wheel (or something along those lines). The car runs as quietly as a Range Rover now Smile Have them check the control arms and wheel bearings. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #43559 Mon Jul 03 2006 5:42pm
canaryman

Angel. Thanks for that, let your dealership know that I have this problem too and that my dealership (Auto Konig in Anzing Bayern) are putting a report together. If your chaps speak to them then it may give them all some ideas as to what it is.

Singletrack. Thanks for your tip. I will wait for them to come back to me and then I will get them to check it out.

Post #43560 Mon Jul 03 2006 7:36pm
canaryman

RRUK wrote:
XXXAngelXXX wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it, it's just some of the cog teeth that have broken off the gears, they rattle around for a while until they are broken into much smaller pieces.....

Apparently they usually rely on the noise of the Disease-all engine to drown it out..! Very Happy

Have to admit that it can be a little noisy at autobahn speed, not that you chaps in England ever manage to achieve much above 80 mph due to plod, fixed, mobile speed cameras (not forgetting the helicopters and vas cars). You poor things you Sad

Post #43561 Mon Jul 03 2006 7:39pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Not necessarily so - 120 this morning, officer! Cool 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #43569 Mon Jul 03 2006 9:03pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

oi ! Auto König is a dumba** Censored 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC

Post #43645 Tue Jul 04 2006 8:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>