RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Took my RRS (ex-G4) greenlaning this weekend (now with pics)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Mike_C

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange
Took my RRS (ex-G4) greenlaning this weekend (now with pics)

Had a great time, too! Went up to Yorkshire with some mates and a few other Landies - a 110, Series III, Freelander and D2 Td5.

Have to say, was mighty impressed with the RRS! Does feel a little wrong taking such a nice and relatively valuable vehicle greenlaning, but it performed brilliantly and is none the worst for it.

Did get stuck once, but that was purely down to tyres - expecting it to climb slippery wet terrain at a very odd angle on standard road tyres was a lot to ask! Still, great opportunity to break out the winch and try it out - which also worked perfectly and pulled us to safety without doing any damage to vehicle or environment - perfect.

Got to try out a fair few of the gadgets - used Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud/Ruts and Rock Crawl at various points and also HDC once, which really is very good. Also had both the centre and rear e-diff locking up a few times keeping everything in check, but we really were on some very testing terrain at times.

I do not intend on taking it greenlaning a lot as most UK lanes are quite narrow and I've no interest in scratching up the paintwork, but I wanted to see how it performed in preparation for an overland triup to Morocco later this year and I must say I'm really pleased! If you haven't taken your RRS near any mud then I urge you to do so, they clearly are made for it and are very capable machines.

Will post some pics later on this evening Smile - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)
- BMW 330Ci M-Sport coupe
- Suzuki GSX-R750 K6 'Stealth' - trackdays and high speed tourer

Last edited by Mike_C on Tue Jun 12 2012 11:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #346696 Tue Jun 12 2012 12:51pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

I mounted the kerb this morning whilst parking up outside the post office........does that count? Laughing

Post #346698 Tue Jun 12 2012 12:55pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Nice one Mike, It's what it was designed for Thumbs Up Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #346703 Tue Jun 12 2012 2:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike_C

A few pics as promised (all images Copyright Sorted Media Productions Limited). Firstly, a nice scenic climb and a stop for lunch:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then a rather rocky (and steeper/rockier than it looks!) descent:
Click image to enlarge
Click image to enlarge

Then got stuck and, not wanting to damage the environment with manic wheelspin, decided to get the winch out:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Lastly, a proper 'G4-style' photo going through some reasonably deep muddy puddles:
Click image to enlarge

...and just when we thought we'd had enough water for one day, this was the (very flooded) A1(M) on the way home:
Click image to enlarge

Great day out, hope you like the pics! :)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #346772 Tue Jun 12 2012 11:13pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Whereabouts on the A1m was that taken? Looks well flooded Shocked

Great photos too Thumbs Up

Post #346773 Tue Jun 12 2012 11:18pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Great Pics there Mike, looks like youhad a great day. Thumbs Up Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #346782 Wed Jun 13 2012 9:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Nice. You need to get yourself the full set of G4 stickers for the RRS. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #346785 Wed Jun 13 2012 10:58am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Bow down Bow down Bow down

Flood washed the RRS for you though Very Happy

If only I could pluck up the courage - and didn't have 20" summer tyres Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #346786 Wed Jun 13 2012 11:52am
Mike_C

Cheers guys, was a good day out, really enjoyed it and some lovely scenery!

npinks - was up near the junction of the A168, in fact it may have been the A168 thinking about it, can't remember!

VA - yeah I will be getting the door stickers but not the rear 3/4 panel ones as not so keen on them!

muddywheels - ironic name! To be honest, if you pick the right lanes and a dry day there's no reason why you couldn't take your car and have a fun day out in the countryside - just make sure you go with other vehicles and find out the condition of the lanes before you go Smile - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #346789 Wed Jun 13 2012 12:51pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Picked the name before I got the WAG Rover Sport Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Also done LR Experience days in Defender, FL2, Disco3, Supercharged RRS and FFRR and thats why I keep buying them Twisted Evil

Used to go greenlaning around here with previous vehicles but the lanes are now wrecked by irresponsible users and heard locals ring police if you go near them now Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #346790 Wed Jun 13 2012 12:56pm
Discovery1953

England 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Santorini Black

locals ring police if you go near them now Sad[/quote]

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2008 Black Range Rover Sports HST, 4.2 Supercharged.

RAM Cobra, Aluminium body, 7 litres and +500 BHP - SOLD

Post #346791 Wed Jun 13 2012 1:28pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Discovery1953 wrote:
locals ring police if you go near them now

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My comment is not condemning locals for contacting the police by the way - it is directed at the Censored that have ruined it for everyone else by churning up the lanes Shocked

The only time I have ever greenlaned was in dry weather and I avoided soft spots and wheel spinning at all times Thumbs Up

Offroading in wet/mud conditions only on approved courses - LRO show and LR experiene Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #346793 Wed Jun 13 2012 1:40pm
Discovery1953

England 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Santorini Black

I am VERY glad to hear it as I am very Censored off at the total PRICKS around us 2008 Black Range Rover Sports HST, 4.2 Supercharged.

RAM Cobra, Aluminium body, 7 litres and +500 BHP - SOLD

Post #346795 Wed Jun 13 2012 1:47pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I know what you mean some nice lanes around here a few years ago but jacked up discos and defenders have made ruts 2 foot deep now - difficult to even walk the dog along them last year Censored Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #346796 Wed Jun 13 2012 1:51pm
Mike_C

Agree entirely, guys! Sadly we saw quite a bit of evidence of "off-piste" activity on some of the lanes. As you can see from the pics, the ones we choose had a good solid base and only a few had big puddles but still with a solid rocky base. I prefer technical stuff like the downhill rock crawl pictured, don't see the need for churning up swatches of the countryside with jacked up 90's and early Disco's with external roll cages - pointless and ruinous!! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #346802 Wed Jun 13 2012 3:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>