RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre choice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Tyre choice.

I've just had the tread separate from the tyre wall on the n/s rear so I need to replace it.
There is about 3-4mm of tread on the other rear so my choices are to either buy on new Pirelli or two new tyres of a different brand.
My question then, Is it ok to put two new tyres on the rear of the car that are a different brand to the fronts.
Basically I want to get the car off pirellis as they are too expensive.

Just been reading on net and a lot of people recommend changing all four at once to avoid damaging the four wheel drive system, seems a bit extreme as only one tyre is defective.
Nik 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #346363 Sat Jun 09 2012 5:32pm
s335

it will only damage the 4wd system if the tyre sizes are different, not different brands

Post #352906 Sun Aug 05 2012 11:17am
mse

United Kingdom 

You should always change your tyres in pairs. Land rover say in a set, but realistically in pairs.

Im a firm believer in the best tyres on the front for steering.

Same tread patterns eg normal, at or mud Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #352913 Sun Aug 05 2012 1:34pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

If your worried about the cost of tyres Shocked should you really be owning a RRS Question There are plenty of cheap alternatives out there, but i wouldn't put them on mine. Having said that, the more expensive brands have had their fair share of failures too. Ive never had a situation like you've got, so ive only ever changed all four tyres at a time on a 4x4. I would never mix brands on any vehicle, always go for matching brand and tread pattern. Thumbs Up

Post #352919 Sun Aug 05 2012 5:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Have a look at the Nokian WRG2.

I have found these to be an excellent tyre, expecially in the winter and for light off roading. Thumbs Up

Jim

Post #352926 Sun Aug 05 2012 7:45pm
Nik

It's not a case of being worried, I just don't like throwing money at something that can be equalled or bettered for less.
In the end I went for Hankooks which from research are a decent tyre and £100 less than the pirellis the car had until one decided to delaminate.
The tyre fitters I've spoken to verbally and on motoring forums say there's no problem mixing bands as long as each axel has the same brand on it. Once the fronts are due I'll put Hankooks on them too.

Nik.

Ady 555 wrote:
If your worried about the cost of tyres Shocked should you really be owning a RRS Question There are plenty of cheap alternatives out there, but i wouldn't put them on mine. Having said that, the more expensive brands have had their fair share of failures too. Ive never had a situation like you've got, so ive only ever changed all four tyres at a time on a 4x4. I would never mix brands on any vehicle, always go for matching brand and tread pattern. Thumbs Up
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #352931 Sun Aug 05 2012 8:41pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hankooks all round for me and excellent tyres, with regards to changing in sets I have never such total bollixs in all my life, if you need to change one then change it but having to change all four or even a pair Rolling with laughter

Post #352939 Sun Aug 05 2012 9:30pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

When i used to run an impreza as my daily runner, it was serviced every 6 months or 7500 miles, at that point the dealer used to swap my wheels round from front to back in order to help keep even tyre wear, i understand on a performance car is it more critical than a RRS, it also helped keep the 4WD system running true, so every 12000 miles a set of four new tyres was required as they all had even wear, so i have stuck to this rule ever since, like i said, ive never been in Niks position where i need to buy just one tyre, each to their own. Wink

Post #352941 Sun Aug 05 2012 9:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nik

For the record, I bought two Wink

Nik.

Ady 555 wrote:
When i used to run an impreza as my daily runner, it was serviced every 6 months or 7500 miles, at that point the dealer used to swap my wheels round from front to back in order to help keep even tyre wear, i understand on a performance car is it more critical than a RRS, it also helped keep the 4WD system running true, so every 12000 miles a set of four new tyres was required as they all had even wear, so i have stuck to this rule ever since, like i said, ive never been in Niks position where i need to buy just one tyre, each to their own. Wink
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #352942 Sun Aug 05 2012 9:59pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Thumbs Up

Post #352945 Sun Aug 05 2012 10:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1