RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Speeding - M42 Variable Limit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

AndyCh

2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Speeding - M42 Variable Limit

I received a letter from Warwickshire Police about a potential speeding offence doing 72mph on the M42/M6 Toll when the variable speed limit was highlighted at 50mph on the gantry above the motorway.

The letter is a NIP, and is asking for details of the driver, but there is nowhere for me to ask for evidence or dispute the offence. I think it was probably me driving (although could have been my wife at that point, as we did switch during the journey), but I honestly don't recall seeing the 50mph variable limit in force.

I have 2 questions:

- How can I check the evidence (i.e was it me driving or my wife, and was it really a 50mph limit)
- If it was all correct, what would you expect the fine/points to be for this type of offence? Neither of us have any points.

Yours quite annoyed
Andy Disco 4 2012 3.0 SDV6 HSE,Santorini Black and Ebony, Privacy, Grand Black lacquer, 20" 5 spoke alloys, tow bar
----------------------------
Gone: RRS 2011 3.0 TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey and Ebony
----------------------------
2000 Lotus Elise S1 (still clinging on to it)

Post #340306 Wed Apr 18 2012 10:27am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Its scandalous, police are always send these things out in the post Mr. Green you or anyone else who offers to take the blame, opps i mean the offending driver will qualify for a £60 fine and 3 brownie points on their nice clean licence Big Cry but if you didn't notice the reduced speed limit it must of been Mrs AndyCh driving whilst you were having 40 winks Wink

Post #340308 Wed Apr 18 2012 10:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonny Fresh

England 

I've been done the same............I wrote asking for photographic evidence to identify the driver, they wrote back saying it would not help identify the driver as it was from the back, I wrote back saying I dont know who it was then, it could have been 1 of 2 people on a long drive, sharing the driving, they wrote back saying it was my responsibility and if I don't tell them who it is I will go to court.............now 6 weeks ago and heard nothing..........

Sick of the police in this country, go catch some murderers and rapists not me doing 55 on a motorway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #340310 Wed Apr 18 2012 10:45am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Surely then JF, isn't that classed as insufficient evidence against you or another driver as they can't prove without reasonable doubt who committed the offence. An example on police intercepters the other night 3 or 4 dodgy looking lads got pulled over for a spot check, in the car the police found a offensive weapon on this occasion a bloody long very sharp knife, all were arrested the case was dropped for i quote "insufficient evidence Shocked How the Censored does that work then Question

Post #340316 Wed Apr 18 2012 11:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tonyrec

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

First question to be asked is, was it your car. Could it have been a clone? Does your car have any distictive features from the back to compare with the Gatso photo? Also, not forgetting the obvious, were you on that particular road at that time.

Unfortunately, if it was your car and you were on the road at that time, the owner has to say who was driving otherwise it's a separate offence.

That's why I'm not a fan of these cameras, there's no discretion at all and it leads to problems like this.

Good luck

Post #340328 Wed Apr 18 2012 1:24pm
crookedm

Dont admit to not seeing the 50mph signs as they'll try getting you on 'Driving without due care or attention'.

Could always tell them that your tax pays their wages, they love all that!!!

Post #340331 Wed Apr 18 2012 1:30pm
Steuart64

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Ive been down this path before.

It is the responsibility of the police to PROVE who was driving. How they obtain that is straight forward - If you know it IS your responsibility to tell them and you HAVE to tell them; if you honestly dont know the onus is on them to prove "without doubt" to the court who was driving.

This was the advice a Sussex Bobby gave me.

My car was pictured by Tayside Police and me and my wife had been sharing the driving but as it was a new route to us neither of us could remember where we swapped the driving. Tayside dropped the NIP.

In Scotland there is a special defence (incrimination?) whereby you state it could be another person and they in turn can do that to you and others. It therefore makes the police's job harder. Not sure if that defence is avaialble in English law though. Now - MY11 RRS Autobiography TDV6, Orkney gray, tints, steps, daylight running lamps and allllll the toys!!!
Ex- RRS HSE TDV6 07 Java Black, bi xenon, corner lights, side steps, tints, cool box, smoke side repeats, chrome "sport" boot sill
Ex - Audi A4 Cab 3.0TDi Quattro
Ex - Freelander2 SE TD4
Ex - CRV Auto

Post #340334 Wed Apr 18 2012 1:47pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

We have a Pc on here somewhere, perhaps he can shed some light on the matter Wink

Post #340336 Wed Apr 18 2012 1:55pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Ady 555 wrote:
We have a Pc on here somewhere, perhaps he can shed some light on the matter Wink

Our tax money buying RRSs now? Whistle

Post #340345 Wed Apr 18 2012 2:28pm
Steuart64

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Jonny Fresh wrote:
Ady 555 wrote:

Our tax money buying RRSs now? Whistle

Council Tax that is Thumbs Up Now - MY11 RRS Autobiography TDV6, Orkney gray, tints, steps, daylight running lamps and allllll the toys!!!
Ex- RRS HSE TDV6 07 Java Black, bi xenon, corner lights, side steps, tints, cool box, smoke side repeats, chrome "sport" boot sill
Ex - Audi A4 Cab 3.0TDi Quattro
Ex - Freelander2 SE TD4
Ex - CRV Auto

Post #340347 Wed Apr 18 2012 2:33pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

I think he is one of the better ones, someone who understands our passion for speed, opps i mean motors Thumbs Up

Post #340364 Wed Apr 18 2012 3:12pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Some would say "You got caught, get over it". Whistle Whistle

But not me though. Mr. Green

Post #340377 Wed Apr 18 2012 4:02pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

DSL wrote:
Some would say "You got caught, get over it". Whistle Whistle

Yes but prove it!!

When someone asks for a photo....give it them, don't say "there's no point it wont help"

Post #340380 Wed Apr 18 2012 4:09pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Ah, the old innocent til proven guilty defense. I thought The Idiot Blair abolished that. Laughing Laughing

Last edited by DSL on Fri Apr 20 2012 6:57pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #340383 Wed Apr 18 2012 4:14pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

JF have you got a stutter Laughing you seem to be doubling your posts alot lately Laughing

Post #340390 Wed Apr 18 2012 4:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>