RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 19" v. 20" Anyone?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

gribnau

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue
19" v. 20" Anyone?

I just ordered, thru ebay, a set of 20" SC wheels including the tires to replace my stock 19"

I know many people have upgraded their wheels - do you have a good experience with it? Is the driving/comfort similar? - Robert

2006 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Black Opal
2005 Porsche Carrera 997 - Artic Silver
2006 Range Rover Sport V8 - Buckingham Blue

Post #1551 Thu Aug 11 2005 4:54pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

I've driven all the variants & must say the ride seemed ok in all. I think it comes down to personal choice...... and personally I prefer the look of both the 20" versions - they really suit the car Smile

I will give the STORMER wheels the slight edge & thumbs up, but not sure I want to part with approx £2000 to change from the stock item 20" wheel?

They are so similar Cool 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #1552 Thu Aug 11 2005 5:09pm
gribnau

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I personally like the stormer wheels better but they are significantly more expensive - i now bought a pre-owned set with only 100 miles on the tires for ~1400 GBP AND i still have the 19" to sell - Robert

2006 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Black Opal
2005 Porsche Carrera 997 - Artic Silver
2006 Range Rover Sport V8 - Buckingham Blue

Post #1555 Thu Aug 11 2005 6:55pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Just a quick note on aftermarket alloys for sale on places like ebay, a word of warning really.

SOMETIMES (not all the time I freely admit) these non OE wheels are cheaper for a reason. Having witnessed it with other car makes and wheels, the copy version are generally not up to scratch and you can find problems with the following:

Finish becoming easily tarnished and corrosion starting well before an OE alloy
    Grade of alloy material not as good, making wheels difficult to balance
    They can also be heavier than standard wheels, adding unnecessary weight to each corner
    All of the above can lead to consequences for the handling of your car, and MAY be potentially dangerous.

Just a word from the wise, sometimes saving the money upfront is a false economy. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3810 Sat Oct 22 2005 1:34pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Adding to RRUK's points, they may not be correctly weight/load rated for the RRS. This is a serious safety issue, so beware! Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #3812 Sat Oct 22 2005 1:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Just saw this bulletin on the GTR site ( £7.05 to subscribe for the day )

This bulletin supersedes TSB LS204-001v2/2005 dated 22 August, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page).

Subject/Concern: Range Rover Sport - 20 Inch Wheel Installation

Models:
Range Rover Sport (LS) Vin range: 5A900505-6A917472

Markets: All

Section: 204-04

Summary:
20 inch wheels installed to a vehicle not originally built with this wheel size, may lead to customer concern of steering shimmy and steering 'pull' under heavy braking.

This bulletin has been re-issued to correct the closing VIN.

Cause: 20 inch road wheels can only be installed to vehicles which have a damped steering gear. Some non-supercharged vehicles do not have a damped steering gear.
Action: Should a customer request a 20 inch wheel installation, refer to the Service Information detailed in this bulletin.

Service Information
NOTE: 20 inch wheels must only be installed to vehicles with a damped steering gear.

Range Rover Sport has been manufactured with two types of steering gear, damped and non-damped.

Vehicles manufactured with 20 inch wheels are built with a damped steering gear.

Vehicles manufactured with 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels may have either a damped or non-damped steering gear.

If 20 inch wheels are to be installed to a vehicle not manufactured with 20 inch wheels, the vehicle must be examined to determine if it has a damped steering gear.

1 . The illustration shows A, a non-damped steering gear and B, a damped steering gear.

2 . The steering gear can be inspected from the wheelarch area to determine its type.

©2005 LandRover 

Last edited by MDP on Thu Nov 03 2005 1:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #4689 Thu Nov 03 2005 12:42pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

MDP, I think it would be useful to see the diagram of how to check whether you have a damped or non-damped steering rack.... maybe you could copy the diagram via screen grab if it won't come across in normal cut/paste. The GTR content is PDFs isn't it? If so, you could zoom into the page to make the grab more legible...

If you have time, of course Very Happy

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #4694 Thu Nov 03 2005 1:03pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

or just post the file to a gallery. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4698 Thu Nov 03 2005 1:15pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

SORTEDVery Happy 

Post #4701 Thu Nov 03 2005 1:27pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Nicely done! Thanks. Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #4704 Thu Nov 03 2005 1:37pm
LeePeto

I would go for the look, 20" Smile

Post #4740 Thu Nov 03 2005 8:28pm
RRSJL

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Just had a set of 20" stormers fitted today, and I am very pleased with the look. I did however think the ride was different, and not quite as smooth as with the 19's

I also found that the car doesn't steer completely straight anymore, if you let go of the wheel it starts to move left gradually.

I am going down to the local tyre centre later today (not where I had them fitted), and I'm just going to get them to check that they have been fitted correctly.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, JAVA Black, Privacy glass, side steps, phone prep, tow pack & SC grille and vents

Post #4822 Fri Nov 04 2005 4:56pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
Just saw this bulletin on the GTR site ( £7.05 to subscribe for the day )

This bulletin supersedes TSB LS204-001v2/2005 dated 22 August, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page).

Subject/Concern: Range Rover Sport - 20 Inch Wheel Installation

Models:
Range Rover Sport (LS) Vin range: 5A900505-6A917472

Markets: All

Section: 204-04

Summary:
20 inch wheels installed to a vehicle not originally built with this wheel size, may lead to customer concern of steering shimmy and steering 'pull' under heavy braking.

This bulletin has been re-issued to correct the closing VIN.

Cause: 20 inch road wheels can only be installed to vehicles which have a damped steering gear. Some non-supercharged vehicles do not have a damped steering gear.
Action: Should a customer request a 20 inch wheel installation, refer to the Service Information detailed in this bulletin.

Service Information
NOTE: 20 inch wheels must only be installed to vehicles with a damped steering gear.

Range Rover Sport has been manufactured with two types of steering gear, damped and non-damped.

Vehicles manufactured with 20 inch wheels are built with a damped steering gear.

Vehicles manufactured with 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels may have either a damped or non-damped steering gear.

If 20 inch wheels are to be installed to a vehicle not manufactured with 20 inch wheels, the vehicle must be examined to determine if it has a damped steering gear.

1 . The illustration shows A, a non-damped steering gear and B, a damped steering gear.

2 . The steering gear can be inspected from the wheelarch area to determine its type.

©2005 LandRover

I do not have a damped steering gear but have 20" Stormer wheels fitted with absolutely no problems at all, even under hard breaking. A 1" increase in wheel diameter with an appropriate decrease in tyre profile is extremely unlikely to cause any problems, even without "damped steering gear". I wouldn't panic too much about this bulletin, it clearly says the fitment of 20" wheels "may lead to customer concern of steering shimmy and steering pull under heavy braking" which infers that it also MAY NOT. The bulletin is not a safety or danger warning, as I said we have had no problems. 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Last edited by Persuader on Thu Nov 24 2005 11:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #4985 Tue Nov 08 2005 8:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
djsaad1

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

so what do you think about adding 22's to a car that does have a damped steering gear? Do you think it would cause any problems?

Post #4986 Tue Nov 08 2005 9:33pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

djsaad1 wrote:
so what do you think about adding 22's to a car that does have a damped steering gear? Do you think it would cause any problems?

Would not have thought so, Overfinch and Project Kahn will sell you vehicles brand new with 22" wheels. 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #4987 Tue Nov 08 2005 9:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>