RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Pirelli Scorpion ATR / General Grabber AT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Pirelli Scorpion ATR / General Grabber AT

Does anyone have (or have had) these fitted to their RRS?

Thinking of fitting a set of Scorpion ATR (255/55/19 111H XL) in place of the current winter tyres. Either these or General Grabber AT. Thinking that the Pirelli would be better as a 90/10 tyre whereas the Grabber is more a 50/50 on road/off road tyre.

Would like something that performs well on tarmac but will go places off road too if required. Prefer the idea of an AT tyre rather than a road tyre that just about manages, if that makes sense.

I guess one benefit of the Grabber is that it is available in homologated sizes (255/50) where the Pirelli is only available in 255/55 which is not homologated. Anyone know if insurance is an issue with 255/55 ? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #338100 Wed Mar 28 2012 5:04pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Lots of ATR vs AT debate D3side. I've got ATRs and use them full time, sold my MTRs & road tyres. The ont use up any more fuel, handle well and last over 40k miles. They get a big Thumbs Up from me.

Only downside is they are supposed to have been discontinued in 19" size. However we hear that a lot and is true til Pirelli make some more. If you can get some they are great alround tyre. Smile

PS Shouldn't be an issue on 255/55 19 as that's the size LR fitted for G4 RRSs. Re insurance, you'd near to speak to yours.

Post #338103 Wed Mar 28 2012 5:30pm
rrsowner

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey

I've have these fitted to my MY2010 and run with them all year round with no problem either on or off road. My RRS spends about a third of its time off highway where these tyres cope really well. Advised my insurer and they wern't bothered at all and didn't hike up my premium. Taller profile is not an issue and it actually, in my opinion, reduces road noise. Long suffering RRS Owner, but I can't help it!

Post #338287 Fri Mar 30 2012 1:19pm
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I ran grabber UHP's on my D3 and they were superb on the road and looked quite capable for off roading.... not 100% on side wall strength with rocks mind you...so depends on your choice of off roading RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #338316 Fri Mar 30 2012 3:45pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Was pretty impressed with the sidewall durability of the ATRs after quite a bit of very steep & rocky climbs in the Pyrenees last year. One received a flesh wound but nothing to worry about. Smile

Post #338334 Fri Mar 30 2012 7:00pm
Barnsnape

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I live in the country up a steep hill and minor roads. For work I travel motorways extensively and occasionally go off road to access remote facilities.

Both the RRS and the Freelander have Grabbers on. I've no hesitation in recommending them, they do what they say on the tin i.e all terrain, very well. No complaints. Andy at AJS tyres (site sponsor) gave me great advice. 2007 TDV8 HSE, Stornoway, 20" HST alloys + GG ATs, HST body kit and Remap (+45 BHP + 100 Nm)
2002 Freelander 2.4 ES, Black, 16� alloys +GG AT2s

Prev
BMW E63 650
BMW E39 540 (I loved this car)

Post #338340 Fri Mar 30 2012 8:20pm
RRSTDV8

Decided to go for the ATR and have now got 4 on order for fitting next week sometime. Thumbs Up

Had a long chat with my tyre guy. His opinion was that the Grabber AT is great where one is doing more off road stuff but the ATR would likely be a better match for my mostly road-biased use.

Here's hoping for a nice Pirelli experience... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #338390 Sat Mar 31 2012 4:21pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Discerning choice. Thumbs Up Friend of mine from D3side has ATRs on his FFRR and his only complaint is they don't look as macho as he'd want, otherwise he loves them and has his second set ready to put on. Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #338394 Sat Mar 31 2012 5:38pm
RRSTDV8

ATRs fitted yesterday. So far so good.

Seem quieter (or at least no noisier) than the Vred Wintracs that were on over winter.

Ride comfort is good too. The deeper sidewall helping there, obviously.

I can notice the increase sidewall depth in terms of handling as the car seems a little softer to turn in - not understeery just a bit slower to settle in to the turn. No doubt that will change slightly as the mould release agent is worn off. Might play with pressures a bit too. Not too worried though as I'm trying to be good these days with fuel prices being what they are, so less "making progress" than in days gone by. Or maybe I'm finally growing up... Rolling with laughter

I'm trying them at 35/37psi F/R for now to see how they go.

Looking forward to trying them off tarmac when I can...

One interesting thing is the aesthetics. These things are big and fill the arches well. I reckon they look better than big wheels with skinny tyres in this regard (they are physically bigger too - the overall diameter is bigger than the 275/40/20 - so it's not just an optical illusion). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #338966 Fri Apr 06 2012 4:41pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Re pressures, I run mine at +3psi all round compared with standard, 36F & 45R. Concensus on t'other forum seems to be that upping the pressures slightly helps with mpg a bit. It does change the feel a little but nothing too bad or I couldn't get used to. Thumbs Up

Post #338967 Fri Apr 06 2012 5:05pm
RRSTDV8

45psi on the rears? Wow, seems really high unless you have a fully loaded vehicle most of the time. Seems to be much more than +3 over LR pressures for normal load carrying.

I didn't even run the Vreds at their recommended pressures (which are much higher than LR's) and the tyres have come off the wheels with nicely uniform wear across the entire tread.

Overall, however, upping the pressures would be expected to improve mpg because you reduce sidewall flexing and thus energy absorbed by the tyre. It's the same reason for upping pressures when you'll be doing extended high speed running. Reducing sidewall/shoulder flex reduces carcass heating and thus reduces chances of tyre failure through over heating. Reducing tyre flex induced heating, by definition, improves mpg. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #339012 Sat Apr 07 2012 12:17am
DSL

United Kingdom 

Rears laden on D3 are 42 psi, i often load up with junk so leave it there.

Post #339017 Sat Apr 07 2012 8:00am
RRSTDV8

Ah yes, forgot you're in a D3. Don't tell anyone here Whistle , but I might go for a D4 next time because of the larger load carrying capacity Thumbs Up

Or a FFRR with the 4.4TDV8 Bow down Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #339023 Sat Apr 07 2012 9:10am
DSL

United Kingdom 

Your secret's safe here! Laughing Laughing

Post #339030 Sat Apr 07 2012 11:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1