RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > Well well well not impressed so far :(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

neo1

United Kingdom 
Well well well not impressed so far :(

Picked my range rover sport TDV8 yesturday at 3pm and within 18 hours of ownership and 16 miles since purchase its broken down and been stranded already

Got to be some sort of record surely its not new like 2008 36k miles

Did 16 miles in it yesturday and parked it over night etc, goes to it this morning and it started up what seemed to be ok, but with a light on dash yellow light with symbol showing a rocking side to side picture...then reversed off drive and noticed the sat nav screen was blank totally black as in off drove 100 yards and it came on flickered and clicked went off oand on few times then 3 more lights came on dash, brake warning orange, hill decent, few others and then the whole lot went off rev counter, speedo, centre display miles etc etc whole lot, 10 yards after cut out and stopped.. goosed...

RR wouldnt crank interior light was dim and nothing just loads of clicking noises like relays and stuff YEP Censored off to say the least...

went to check battery on side of road and noiced the terminal was movable but secure, so i re arranged the terminal nipped it up better and same with earth side, put my jump pack on and all dash lights normal but cranking was too slow to start it, think the jump pack wasnt up to it to be fair, got a jump leads start off a vauxhall insignia and it started straight up sounded fine, turned all electrics of and drove it to garage of my mates and put battery on charge did notice the stereo says low voltage when you turn it past 19 on the dail for volume and thats with engine running as well...

any thoughts guys is it..or my thoughts are..

New battery connections not tight enough as i could turn the lead on battery post but it was gripping to be fair and on...

New dodgy battery ???

Alternator fault? but no light on dash etc..

set fire to it maybe ??? Live life to the full its the only one your getting.

Post #331227 Mon Feb 06 2012 12:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrfixit

2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Not a great start but stick with it get it sorted and you will love it.A very simple diagnostic would be alternator going off what you have said,due to the radio volume when the car is running,but thats easy to see if its charging.The good news is it sounds as though its only a power issue,it there is a battery problem it seems they do throw all sorts of weird warning lights on the dash.

Post #331231 Mon Feb 06 2012 8:19am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

If the terminals were loose as you say then my guess is that there hasn's been enough charge going back into the battery and you have been running off battery power alone which has now died, give it a full charge and it should be ok.

Post #331234 Mon Feb 06 2012 9:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrfixit

Would have thought the Radio would not be on restricted volume though Ady if that was the case with the engine running.

Post #331277 Mon Feb 06 2012 1:49pm
neo1

United Kingdom 

Hi guys a quick update for you all....

Ok

alternator charging between 13.8v and 14.2v when running subject to load
Battery checked for size and type and battery drop test all ok there.....

Battery was fully charged for 24 hrs and both terminals on battery cleaned put on properly and tight..

Collected tonight and so far so good.... Thumbs Up Live life to the full its the only one your getting.

Post #331382 Tue Feb 07 2012 12:56am
neo1

United Kingdom 

B]This ambition of owning a range rover for years is vastly taking the Censored and doing my head right in, i know its only a car but its annoying the bloody hell out of me now like[/B]

UPDATE...

After driving it back from the garage after having battery charged for 24hrs and them checking alternator and stuff theis is todays encounter it like east enders this range rover turning into a new toy nightmare quickly..

Ok parked on drive over night all seemed ok, got up this morning tried to start it perfect happy with that, swtiched it off after 2/3 mins on idle and went to work in my other car, got home 3pm thought right lets go out for a drive in it..

Started up reversd off drive and the SUSPENSION FAULT light came on Sad turned and drove down my street 100 yards and sat nav screen went blank, 5/6 lights now on dash, mixture of all sorts ARGGHH another 100 yards down road rev counter goes off and speedo then lcd display in middle and then the whole lot went out, engine running still though, knocked all the electrical items off and drove 3 miles to mates garage..

Noticed on way the gear selector LCD display was showing a large capital F for Censored and said limited gears ??? revs were 4rpm at 45mph so i assume its in 3rd gear.. got to garage and left running in Park till got a look at it 4/5 mins tried to move it wont come out of park ?? FFS man, turned engne off and went to restart click click click no battery power, so jusmp pack on starts up, now will move out of park..

Reversed back 10 feet all lights off and gradually coming on warning lights i mean till had 7 on at once.. TIME TO BURN IT LOL...

Called 4x4 dealer specailist and took it through, they checking it tomorrow...

Now simce i took it through ive found this out see if this might be the cause maybe..

THE SPORT SEEMS TO GO OK WITH A FULLY CHARGE BATTERY BUT AS IT DRAINS ITS THROWING ALL SORTS UP.. BUT IVE FOUND THIS OUT TODAY LATE ON 6PM...

The garage thought the battery was sluggish so replaced the battery after test drive, which it drove fine on as they didnt want any issues (ironic or what) but here is what ive found the battery that came off was a 110 amp and the replacement is a 84 amp but same size in physical size, but a cheapish one year battery ?

COULD THE BATTERY BE AT FAULT I DONT UNDERSTAND ELECTRICS,could the battery that was originally one just be low on charge due to cold and valeters with doors open etc etc me with all heated bits on as well, and then garage fits this battery and all the faults appear ????

Any advice would be helpful
cheers Rob Live life to the full its the only one your getting.

Post #331567 Wed Feb 08 2012 12:13am
mrfixit

I was going to say try a different battery as it sounds as though yours has a bad cell.To be honest if you have a battery that is suspect this weather will find it out pretty quickly.

Post #331578 Wed Feb 08 2012 8:19am
Triple7

United Kingdom 

Has your car sat for a while prior to your purchase? E.g dealer forecourt?

It sounds very much like a battery issue. Changing the battery is a great start. Also you need to take that car out for a long drive to get it all up & running. In this cold weather, the battery will be under a lot of strain so give it a chance & quit starting & stopping it! Wink Gone:
2016.5MY RRS HSE Dyn
2015MY Disco Sport HSE
2011MY FL2 HSE
2010MY RRS HSE
2008MY D3 HSE

Post #331699 Wed Feb 08 2012 10:05pm
neo1

United Kingdom 

Hi chaps little bit of light at the end of the tunnel by close of play today it seems

New battery that was fitted has been removed and checked battery is ok but only a 82AH battery one that came off was a 110ah so a new 110ah battery has been fitted..

Alternator was tested whilst other (small battery) was fitted and the charge rate was poor 13.8 v at idle 14.1 at best revved up both with no load on
Once load was applied like heated seats and heaters etc the battery voltage dropped and droped the more you switched on it came as low as 7.4v at one point and cut out,they tested a 2.7 disco 3 next to it to compare and the disco had 14.8v constent and only dipped below 13.8v once with everything turned on at once and then went back to 14.2v with everything on...

Specailist in convinced its an alternator issue and fitting one tomorrow..

hopefully it will be sorted with the new 110ah battery and the alternator tomorrow..

Rob Cool Live life to the full its the only one your getting.

Post #331727 Thu Feb 09 2012 12:04am
neo1

United Kingdom 

With reguard to your question it had been on another dealer for court yeah, for 4 weeks before it came to me ...

Rob Shocked Live life to the full its the only one your getting.

Post #331728 Thu Feb 09 2012 12:05am
jed.w

United Kingdom 

I've had bad starts with a few cars, notably a Maserati that shutdown completely on the way home from pick up! It does taint your view as to the validity of the purchase, but stick with it, you'll love it very soon! SDV6 HSE Sport2 - Santorini Black, Ebony Interior, Pano Roof, Things I haven't found yet!

TDV6 HSE, Java Black, Black Premium Leather, Privacy, LR Side Steps, Smoked Side Repeaters, SC Vents and lots of toys!

Post #331854 Thu Feb 09 2012 10:34pm
neo1

United Kingdom 

Hi guys got the sport back appears to be all sorted now,

New battery of correct size and AH rating and a brand new alternator..

All checked after fitting and charging at 14.4v with everything on so it looks like yous were correct with alternator diagnosis fellas.

I asked them as they were staratone trained specailist independents to give the sport a full inspection tip to toe to let me know what is required in the future and now and there are a couple of jobs needed doing striagt away as well...

2 front tyres cracking on side walls
service over due by 200 miles
rear discs and pads slightly corroded

so that will keep my wallet empty for a bit longer lol Laughing

as long s it starts and stops im happy will get some tyres this week.

285.35ZR 22" MMMmmm not cheap i bet.. Live life to the full its the only one your getting.

Post #331860 Thu Feb 09 2012 11:06pm
neo1

United Kingdom 

Very Happy Good news been out in rrs all day messing around and had all sorts working and its perfect spot on happy days and im over the moon with it, pitty it ownership started with a glitch but all is well now.....

Whistle Live life to the full its the only one your getting.

Post #331979 Sat Feb 11 2012 1:32am
mrfixit

We did tell you Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #331996 Sat Feb 11 2012 11:57am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Had exactly the same symptoms and it was loose battery terminal

The car seams to be very sensitive to low voltage RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #332032 Sat Feb 11 2012 3:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top