RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Automatic light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

robbo

Italy 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Automatic light

Sorry for my english I asked if someone could tell me where sensor is found that it determines the operation of the lights in automatic rifle. This why in Italy it is obligatory to hold the lights ignited also of day and if you succeeded to darken it I could make to work the beacons in way completely automatic rifle. Thanks to all however

Post #32830 Tue May 16 2006 9:06pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Robbo, I assume the sensor is in the rectangular "window" on the windshield, directly behind the rearview mirror mount... Which would make it hard to mask permanently, short of applying some black paint on the glass. I did not know in Italy Daytime Running Lights are now mandatory 24/7? I think Canada has a similar law in North America, in the US enabling DRLs is still up to the car manufacturer.

By the way, am I the only one who finds the auto headlights awfully sensitive at times and not at all sensitive at others? Driving under the many overpasses of our freeways here in Southern California often makes my car's headlights turn on and off like a X-mas tree, while many times I notice my headlights stay on long after the sun has risen on my way to work in the morning. Confused 

Post #32862 Wed May 17 2006 6:06am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Umbertob, this sensitivity is not a bad thing if you lived in mainland Europe.

Where there are tunnels, you have to put lights on as you enter. With other cars I have had fitted with auto-lights, the delay has been too long.

Therefore, by the time your lights had come on, you would be half way through the tunnel. In countries such as Austria, Germany etc. Police wait in tunnels and if you don't have your lights on immediately, you will get pulled over!

Not like this in the UK but in answer to your other point, I don't find them too sensitive. Is there no way of adjusting the sensitivity through one of the myriad of computer screens/menus? Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #32872 Wed May 17 2006 8:40am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don't think they are too sensitive - the exact opposite in fact! They don't come on soon enough when it rains hard (I'm not takling about the auto wipers here guys!) I like to have my dipped headlights on in damp weather, especially at this time of the year in the colour that my car is, it just merges into the background with all this season's new leaves all bursting out. It really pCensoreds me off at the number of people who run Silver and Grey cars who seem to think they are wasting headlight bulbs by switching them on in the daytime when it is raining! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #32885 Wed May 17 2006 9:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
umbertob

Tim, that was the "not sensitive at all" part of my post I forgot to mention, I do wish the headlights did turn on automatically when it rains, but very often they don't unless it also happens to be very dark outside.

I don't think the sensitivity is adjustable Super, but you make a good point about tunnels in Europe (we don't have many here), I guess you can't have it both ways. In my driving situation I am sure - because I have been given the finger a few times Smile - that there are some drivers in front of me thinking I am flashing them as we cross an overpass, since my headlights flicker on and off a dozen times or so on the way to work and back. 

Last edited by umbertob on Wed May 17 2006 3:52pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #33006 Wed May 17 2006 3:42pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Laughing Good to see our cousins over the water are just as polite and friendly behind the wheel as our lot on this little island! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #33012 Wed May 17 2006 3:52pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Re daylight running lights, wouldn't a little piece of masking tape over the sensor work? I'm poss off to Iceland next summer & was going to do that as they want lights on all the time. I'd go out & look at the front of the D3 but its piddling down. Did someone mention a hose pipe ban? Rolling Eyes

Post #33017 Wed May 17 2006 4:04pm
umbertob

It probably would work, but since the tape would have to be applied on the outer surface of the windshield it may fly away after a couple of days... 

Post #33018 Wed May 17 2006 4:08pm
Tim in Scotland

Derek, you could always leave the light switch on position 2.......... and save leaving sticky stuff on the screen! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #33019 Wed May 17 2006 4:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

..and re-charge your battery every 3 days! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

Post #33020 Wed May 17 2006 4:13pm
Tim in Scotland

Doesn't D3 have annoying bongs that tell you that you have left the lights switched on then? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #33023 Wed May 17 2006 4:16pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Gaffer tape should work, will use the super strong stuff.

Its not remembering to switch the light off, is switching them on when we set off again. Got fed up last trip being flashed so much. Resorted to not shutting down lights (Defender reverted to park lights) but then had people in car park telling us we had left our lights on. Can't win! Banging Head. Would be useful also as planning to go to Scandinavia, also quite a few other European countries like daytime lights (NL & CH spring to mind).

Would go out & check for bongs but now throwing it down! Anyone in the SE want some nice Welsh water???

Post #33043 Wed May 17 2006 5:27pm
Michael997

United Kingdom 

Is the light sensor in the screen or in the small bubble on top of the dash? I agree with Tim and think the lux setting for bringing on the lights is set too dark. come on you tecs how do we adjust it? Michael
2013 RRS diesel Autobiography Dynamic

Post #33045 Wed May 17 2006 5:49pm
umbertob

Michael, the light sensor is in the screen behind the rearview mirror (tested it with a flashlight), I am guessing the rain sensor is housed in there as well. I often wondered what that little dome / bubble on the top center of the dash is or does... Anyone knows? 

Post #33106 Thu May 18 2006 6:42am
Tim in Scotland

The transponder for the remote locking and alarm system? On the FFRR there was a similar sensor in the same location and another sticking down from the rear view mirror - one of them was for the Climate Control and the other was for the remote central locking/alarm system, cannot remember which was which! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #33107 Thu May 18 2006 6:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>