RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Cruise Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

JONRRS

Australia 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Baltic Blue
Cruise Control

Have had my RRS for 7 months now, and really enjoying the relaxed way it drives, and most things about the car.

Having come from a VW R36 and other European cars previously, there is one thing that is really annoying me, and that is the cruise control.

When I set a speed, the car doesn't stick to the speed as well as I think it should, or as well as other cars I have owned.

Going uphill it loses about 5-6 km/h before anything happens, then overcompensates by kicking back 2 cogs to get back to speed.

Conversely going downhill, it seems to just coast and build as much speed as it possibly can before reaching another incline. This can be 20km/h or more. It makes no attempt to slow down.

Another mate with a Vogue told me his is the same.

My VW would not deviate from the set speed any any conditions.

Is this just a quirk of UK engineering over the exacting standards of the Germans?

I know I have a responsibility to regulate my own speed, so no need to tell me I should be braking and acceleration for the conditions - I know that. just wondering whether this cruise control is the same for everyone, given my experience on other cars.

It is a royal pain on long trips to have to "assist" the cruise control.

Any thoughts on this? 2011 TDV6 Luxury - Baltic Blue, Ebony with Contrast Stitch, RSE, Stormers, Towpack.

Post #324795 Mon Dec 12 2011 3:26am
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Thats strange, when I first started reading your post , I was assuming that maybe you has an older car, but I see yours is bang up to date! My 2010 looses/gains only about 1mph ( say 2kph)
Have no idea why yours would do that unless the climbs/decents are really sudden and a 1 in 3!!
I would ask the dealer to investigate......
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #324800 Mon Dec 12 2011 7:30am
JONRRS

Thanks Dave,

It is going into the dealer in January, so will get them to check.

It wouldht be 1 in 3,just a steepish hill 2011 TDV6 Luxury - Baltic Blue, Ebony with Contrast Stitch, RSE, Stormers, Towpack.

Post #324801 Mon Dec 12 2011 7:33am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My 2007 is fine at holding the set speed. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #324819 Mon Dec 12 2011 11:04am
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

yeah each the above comments mine is pretty mich bang on, Ive had a few VW's also and i wouldnt say the cruise was any better or worse on the LR

Post #324820 Mon Dec 12 2011 11:07am
rrsboy

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

mine brakes going downhill, stays +/1 1mph ============
2010 TDV8 HSE - ooo laa laaaaaaaaa
2007 TDV8 HSE - superb car and very reliable
============
2012 - dearly departed, sadly missed.. to return in late 2013 with a new TDV8!

Post #324866 Mon Dec 12 2011 5:52pm
ronniet101

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

dont know if it actually brakes...without seeing the detailed spec cant say how it behaves..but seems to allow increase in speed of 10% of speed demanded when going downhill before it changes gear down and reduces fuel demand

Post #324867 Mon Dec 12 2011 5:55pm
JONRRS

Definitely sounds like mine is a bit off.

I am really only talking about normal motorway driving and whilst there are some steep inclines, the VW didn't even need to change down to get up the hills, so you get the picture in terms of gradient.

When it goes into the Dealer in January I will get them to check it out.

Did any of the responses from members come from people with Active Cruise, as mine doesn't have this option.

Thanks for the responses. Always helpful.

Jon. 2011 TDV6 Luxury - Baltic Blue, Ebony with Contrast Stitch, RSE, Stormers, Towpack.

Post #324905 Tue Dec 13 2011 3:40am
JONRRS

Just an update on this.

Went in for a service last week, told them of the cruise issue, and was told they would check it.

Nothing wrong apparently, it will lose speed and then accelerate as hard as is required to get back to the speed, and as for downhill, will simply freewheel down the hill.

That is the way the system is designed.

Funny, as my last few cars have stayed pretty bang on the speed I set, up hill or down hill. Never needed to brake downhill to slow the car.

Oh well a minor issue on an otherwise brilliant car.

I have also been told by the dealer that LR have changed their service intervals on the 3litre from 12 months/ 25,000kms to 6 months/ 12,500 kms.

Again this seems odd. I have free servicing for the life of the lease, so am not really worried, but find it weird that the intervals would change mid way after purchasing, and I would be annoyed if I was footing the bill, as I only do 12,000 kms per annum. 2011 TDV6 Luxury - Baltic Blue, Ebony with Contrast Stitch, RSE, Stormers, Towpack.

Post #327347 Sun Jan 08 2012 11:29pm
bootz

United Kingdom 

The 2 RRSS's I had with adaptive cruise control were much better at maintaining accurate set speeds than those with the standard cruise control option.

Even then it's not perfect in my experience. On steep down-hill sections i need to set 4-5 mph below the speed required i.e. 26mph to maintain 30mph on one particular descent; with adaptive CC the vehicle will self-brake to maintain speeds down-hill. It is much better at maintaining speeds uphill than the non-ACC option.

Post #327366 Mon Jan 09 2012 1:19am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

JONRRS wrote:

Nothing wrong apparently, it will lose speed and then accelerate as hard as is required to get back to the speed, and as for downhill, will simply freewheel down the hill.

The Speed Control System in your vehicle is a very sophisticated system that is integrated with the engine management system and uses fuelling intervention to automatically maintain a set vehicle speed. Once engaged, the system can also be used to accelerate the vehicle without using the accelerator pedal.

The speed control system also uses inputs from the brake pedal switch, the APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor, the ECM (engine control module) and the ABS (anti-lock brake system) control module.

During speed control operation, the ECM controls vehicle speed by adjusting fuel injection duration and timing. When the accelerator pedal is pressed with speed control active, the ECM outputs a calculated throttle angle signal in place of the actual throttle angle signals produced by the APP sensor. The calculated throttle angle is derived from fuel demand.

If you have Adaptive Speed Control, this system uses a forward looking radar sensor to scan the road ahead, looking for objects that are moving at a different rate to itself. When a target is identified the adaptive speed control system will monitor the time gap between it and the target vehicle. When that gap falls below a set driver selected level (4 seconds) the adaptive speed control system will intervene slowing the vehicle by backing off the throttle and/ or applying the brakes, until the correct gap is attained. The adaptive speed control system comprises the following components:

Adaptive Speed Control Sensor
Adaptive Speed Control module
Steering wheel control switches
ECM (engine control module)
Electric throttle
ABS (anti-lock brake system) module and pump

This is just a brief explanation of how the system works and it shows how much effort has been put into this system. Wink Wink
You have good UK engineering there, however, you may want to seek advice from a reputable LR dealer. Smile Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #327378 Mon Jan 09 2012 5:19am
Mr H

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Bobby how on earth do you know all this stuff ?!? Bow down

Are you some sort of Jedi from the LR factory or what?(for us newbies that don't know the story) Have i got the busted controller?!?!!?

2009 RRS TDV8
Santorini Black
Ivory / Anigre
Privacy
DVD & TV
Side Steps

Post #327521 Mon Jan 09 2012 11:52pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

JONRRS wrote:

I have also been told by the dealer that LR have changed their service intervals on the 3litre from 12 months/ 25,000kms to 6 months/ 12,500 kms.

Again this seems odd. I have free servicing for the life of the lease, so am not really worried, but find it weird that the intervals would change mid way after purchasing, and I would be annoyed if I was footing the bill, as I only do 12,000 kms per annum.

I first thought it would be due to extreme conditions in Oz, dust/heat etc, but I would hardly think Sydney is like the outback! Not heard anything from my dealer in cold damp Scotland!!
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #327524 Tue Jan 10 2012 12:27am
saty

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

My 55 plate non adaptive is also like yours, not as accurate my BMW's I used to have..

Post #327716 Wed Jan 11 2012 5:52pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

JONRRS wrote:
Just an update on this.

Went in for a service last week, told them of the cruise issue, and was told they would check it.

Funny, as my last few cars have stayed pretty bang on the speed I set, up hill or down hill. Never needed to brake downhill to slow the car.

Oh well a minor issue on an otherwise brilliant car.

Again this seems odd. I have free servicing for the life of the lease, so am not really worried, but find it weird that the intervals would change mid way after purchasing, and I would be annoyed if I was footing the bill, as I only do 12,000 kms per annum.

Just checked on LR website..... Servicing on the RRS 3.0 is every 12 months still or 26k miles whichever comes first....
sounds like right dodgy info your dealer gave you...
see link below
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/rr/owners/s...servicing/

Post #327720 Wed Jan 11 2012 6:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>