RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Windscreen Replacement Costs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Windscreen Replacement Costs

Second windscreen required in 6 months, the first paid for courtesy of the Insurance company, the 2nd i have to foot the excess. A new screen for a Sport is 1600 bucks or there about from O'Brien Glass (autoglass equivalent in the UK), not heated or anything fancy, just the rain sensor. I could not believe the price, that is a tad over a grand of her majesties finest squids...

MikeS, see if you can get unlimited glass when the Tango special turns up, not just the one a year like moi.. Assuming such a policy exists elsewhere Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #320162 Sat Nov 05 2011 8:02am
garrycol

Australia 

Only use Obriens if you are claiming on insurance - they are the stealers of the windscreen world. I am sure that if you shop around you might find a price closer to your excess.

The auto wipe function on my wipers has caused a large scratch on my screen - caused by wiping when there is no rain and some sand on the wipers - I now have the auto wipe function turned off. The scratch is not enough to claim on so I am hoping a convenient rock will fix the issue before too long.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #320182 Sat Nov 05 2011 12:02pm
MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange
Re: Windscreen Replacement Costs

Zilch wrote:
MikeS, see if you can get unlimited glass when the Tango special turns up, not just the one a year like moi.. Assuming such a policy exists elsewhere

Noted, thanks. I've had 2 screens in it in the last 12 months anyway.

Shannons have quoted me $1000 there or thereabouts to cover the car, must admit I didn't question the claims limit for windscreens. Will ask them when it finally arrives, also mine is heated so that's bound to bump up the price. Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #320244 Sun Nov 06 2011 9:04am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Mike, Make sure you have sufficient offroad cover with Shannon's if you intend to go off the bitumen... They don't all provide it!

Post #320625 Thu Nov 10 2011 12:41am
garrycol

Australia 

Mike - I would be looking further a field than just Shannons - they are great for older vehicles on historic plates but not so good for modern vehicles. However most insurance companies will not know what your vehicle is and will just want to insure it as a standard V8 RRS.

They were one of the more expensive for no better coverage for my standard RRS. I would also be speaking with Lumley Special Vehicles (different to Lumleys Insurance) who may be interested in insuring it as a special vehicle.
They are much cheaper than Shannons for my 101 and they let you keep the wreck. Shannons only do this with very old vehicles.

As far as the heated front windscreen goes - if these were a specific item fitted to the G4, I can understand you wanting to stay with one from the point of originality but you really do not need one in Aust. Not sure you would actually be able to get one here and they will cost a motza.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #320627 Thu Nov 10 2011 1:56am
MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Cheers Garry, I'll look into the insurance more before the car arrives next year. The issue I have at the moment is more that it's an imported car and a modified one at that, even though the modifications are all fairly benign for the Aus market. It is however modified and of course I'm not a resident, so add all that together and it's problematic. Shannons may not be cheap, but they were easy to deal with and are only a few miles from where we live, so I could just call in to discuss it. We also have a 1979 Triumph Spitfire to insure so some form of classic insurance is necessary.

The heated windscreen is standard on the HSE spec car, it's not G4 specific. Our new Focus XR5 hasn't got a heated screen either yet that's a standard item across the Ford range in the UK. There's certainly a benefit to them here in Aus, we've already has a few mornings where the heated screen would be useful... Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #320628 Thu Nov 10 2011 7:14am
Zilch

Well its being fitted by LR dealership directly, a full pukka LR windscreen for 1400 dollars, interesting they can do it cheaper than O'Briens.

In terms of payment i have lumped it on the novated lease company as a general repair/service cost, i will just have
to go easier on the brakes and tyres for the next 12 months Whistle Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #320629 Thu Nov 10 2011 9:10am
Garrie2283

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Rimini Red

Zilch. Don,t forget the Range Rover Sport is fitted with an "OPTIKOOL"front windscreen so this as well as the wiper rain sensor may justify the price. Also it would be interesting to know if the O,Brien screen is this spec.
In a previous life before I retired I worked for the Australian importer of Peugeot and this screen spec was offered to us by Automobiles Peugeot about 2002 M.Y. and I think it added about A$300.00 to the factory vehicle buy price so it must be expensive to produce.
Having said this I am sure Land Rover Aust are making a good quid as well. Big Cry

Post #320634 Thu Nov 10 2011 10:22am
Zilch

Garrie2283 wrote:
Zilch. Don,t forget the Range Rover Sport is fitted with an "OPTIKOOL"front windscreen so this as well as the wiper rain sensor may justify the price. Also it would be interesting to know if the O,Brien screen is this spec.

Garrie, O'Brien fitted the existing windscreen in April when the original got cracked at nigh on the same place in Queensland.
Yep it is a full monty Land Rover Optikool screeen with rain sensor.

Actually the same LR dealership supervised it going in as it was in for a service at the time. That said O'Brien is still over 200 dollars more expensive than LR..

Cheers Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #320635 Thu Nov 10 2011 10:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1