RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Towing - speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Towing - speeds

I know this question will not be of much interest to many Sport owners but yesterday afternoon I was cruising north at a pleasant 70mph on the A9 when a huge shadow blotted out the sun and I was overtaken by a D3 towing the most enormous caravan I have ever seen in the UK................. the D3 and rig were on German plates and this thing was not hanging around - I reckon that he must have been doing a good 85 on the dual carriageway (there is a 60 limit on most of the A9 and 70 on the DC bits) they way he just stormed passed the other traffic on the road. Now this got me to thinking................... what if he had had to stop in a bit of a hurry as the A9 is frequented by a lot of tractors at this time of the year and they just barge out from the side roads for the most part.
I always thought that 50mph was the limit for towing anything on a UK road and 70 on the motorway. OK so this guy was definately breaking the law and MUST have driven passed at least 2 if not 3 of the "safety" cars parked on the verges at fast sections taking "photographs" of traffic speeding cars but does anybody know what the speed limits are for towing............. I do very occassionally tow a small trailer loaded with windsurfing gear behind my Sport. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #31506 Thu May 11 2006 7:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

I always thought the MAX. for towing was 50. I seem to remember seeing (Those infernal) caravans on the road with 50 stickers on the back.

Then again, at the mo I don't tow but will do in CY. Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #31595 Thu May 11 2006 2:12pm
PaulB

England 

60mph on motorways Wink
The caravan will also have brakes and provided it was correctly loaded shouldn't adversely effect the stopping distances. When I brake with my caravan on, I can actually feel it pulling me rather than pushing.

Paul

Post #31714 Thu May 11 2006 6:09pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Yes, definately 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways with national speed limit signs. But it is very easy to forget that you are dragging a twentysix foot caravan on the back of a Range Rover Sport.

"Sorry officer I know I was going a bit quick, but I was trying to get away from that big white thing. It's been bloody tailgating me ever since I left home" Embarassed Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #31717 Thu May 11 2006 6:51pm
Tim in Scotland

You got a caravan then TB? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #31718 Thu May 11 2006 6:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

TB wrote:
"Sorry officer I know I was going a bit quick, but I was trying to get away from that big white thing. It's been bloody tailgating me ever since I left home" Embarassed

Laughing Speaking from experience TB? Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #31721 Thu May 11 2006 7:09pm
TB

Yes Tim, I have a caravan, but don't tell the others.

It's great for getting away with the wife and the dustbin lids.

We're off touring Spain for three and a half weeks this summer. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #31725 Thu May 11 2006 7:14pm
Tim in Scotland

Your secret is safe with me TB, are you getting treatment? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #31726 Thu May 11 2006 7:16pm
TB

The only thing that needs treatment is my kidneys after a weekend away. Shocked

The diet is normally liquid form. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Post #31728 Thu May 11 2006 7:22pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

TB wrote:
Yes Tim, I have a caravan, but don't tell the others.

It's great for getting away with the wife and the dustbin lids.

We're off touring Spain for three and a half weeks this summer.

Argh!!! Scourge of the A303!!! Where's MDP's roof-mounted cannon when you need it!! Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #31952 Fri May 12 2006 2:37pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Please don't tell me you use the RRS to tow a pikey home! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #31953 Fri May 12 2006 2:41pm
TB

Where is the A303 ? Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Post #32090 Fri May 12 2006 6:33pm
Tim in Scotland

I saw a Sport towing a very large mobile crane on a trailer the other day so what's wrong with towing a pikey wagon? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #32091 Fri May 12 2006 6:35pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

TB wrote:
Where is the A303 ?

It's the main arterial route that runs across Hants, Wiltshire and Somerset for access to the southwest. Stonehenge is on the A303 and suffers from some of the worset caravan related traffic in the known universe. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #32134 Fri May 12 2006 11:11pm
Tim in Scotland

You think that is bad.................... try the A83 between Arrochar and Inveraray. The first 7 miles are all up hill from sea level to 2700ft and although a nice wide road there are buses/coaches full of tourists admiring the stunning scenery, sheep that wander across the road, loony motorcycle riders all trying to break the soundbarrier with speed, loaded lorries, blind corners and dips in the road and add a convoy of caravans all crawling along uphill at 15mph and the crest which was labelled "Rest and Be Thankful" in the days before caravans and when a coach driver wouldn't even think of attempting the old road and when cars had to stop on the summit to cool off. The name is now more appropriate for the drivers rather than the cars, who need to let off steam at the frustration! Don't even get me started on the caravan and motorhome owners who drive on single track roads up north (way way up north for those who life in the deep south, that is south of Glasgow!) which these days have signs that say they should pull over and let following traffic pass..................... if they ever do pull in it is usually to stop for a brew up, or worse to camp overnight(they do, believe me!) in the passing places.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti caravanners but I get really pCensoredd off with car drivers towing caravans behind them who totally disregard the advisory signs that say that the road they are driving is not suitable for cars towing caravans! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #32145 Sat May 13 2006 8:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>