RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Range Rover Sport tdv6 running costs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Gizm0

United Kingdom 
Range Rover Sport tdv6 running costs?

Hi all, I'm currently looking at getting a 2006 sport tdv6, the car I currently drive only gets 19/20mpg but costs £60 to fill up, So just wondering what sort of mpg you get and how much it costs to fill and miles to a tank?? Also is there any common problems on these that I'd need to look out for or check?
I just love the looks of these so would hope to get either a silver or black one. Also what are the servicing costs and brakes etc?

Sorry for all the questions but better to get personal opinions as I couldn't find any owner reviews online Sad

Thanks in advance

Dan Very Happy

Post #304913 Mon Jul 04 2011 1:34pm
RRS_PAT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Hi & welcome to the Forum.

I've owned my TDV6 for just over a year now.

Things to look for knocking suspension (most seem to have it), rattles (When you get one this forum will help you eliminate these), Air suspension issues, check that it has had the brake recall done (a dealer should be able to tell you with the chassis no), also check coolant bottle as these go and the motors on the central locking. Also check the plastic trim on the side is secure as these break.

Lots of people get the Extended Warranty as if something does go wrong it can be expensive Big Cry

Service costs are high I think I paid £450 ish for the first service. A tank of diesel costs around £120 Shocked I get 22-25 MPG so 400 ish on a tank. You will read on here about how sluggish the TDV6 is, certainly it is no sports car but I don't drive the RRS like that so find its power more than adequate. I've only had one dodgy turbo lag moment!

Not done brakes but tyres are expensive - IMO (Pirellis £250 each, Hankook/Kumo £125)

Insurance we pay around £400 ish (late thirties, garaged). Some companies demand a tracker fitted.

When we first bought ours it was with our hearts not our head and we travelled around to find the tidiest version we could for the money we wanted to spend. Even though it was low mileage and looked much better than our local dealer stock it still needed a lot of niggles sorted that really frustrated me (mainly trim related). These are now sorted and for the last 10-12 months it has given me hassle free driving. That said, as most owners on here will agree, be prepared to spend a lot of time at the dealers. For me this has been small little things rather than anything major - but still a time hassle.

For kerb appeal I don't think much can beat it, I still get a sense of pride coming back to it in a car park. The driving position is superb and great for Kids as they can actually see out!

I would suggest looking a the glasses guide or something as there have been updates to the spec through the years so moving to a 2007 may get you some more toys etc IIRC the fridge is standard from 2007 onwards on an HSE Cool

Also, if within your budget or you have a choice, I would go for the HSE for the toys (and resale so I am told) - afterall this is a luxury car Smile 2011 Autobiography Santorini Black

Post #304918 Mon Jul 04 2011 2:04pm
mse

United Kingdom 

i have the latest TDV6 (the 3.0 one) but i would suggest a full tank is the same at around £90 depending on the price and how empty to start with.

the 2.7 mpg i have no idea - on mine im getting around 28/9 now - but yours will be lower - possibly around 3-5. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #304919 Mon Jul 04 2011 2:04pm
Siberianfox

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

At my diesel station if i run to where to where the trip computer says 5 mile left and fill up to top it cost me £110. Smile

Post #304920 Mon Jul 04 2011 2:11pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I did 65K miles in my 2.7 and most of the time on a run I got a good 35mpg,now in my new 2011 3.0L I usually get just less than 30mpg on a run and most of the time ragging it around hone get low 20's but it is much faster and more fun so worth it for me as just about anything else I would want would give me about the same mpg.
Ticks all the boxes so I would recommend either the 3.0l or the V8 unless you enjoy being overtaken by spotty herberts in 1.3 Corsa's. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #304923 Mon Jul 04 2011 2:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 

Siberianfox wrote:
At my diesel station if i run to where to where the trip computer says 5 mile left and fill up to top it cost me £110.

Foxcub has clearly stated you fill up at the more expensive garage on a previous post Exclamation Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #304926 Mon Jul 04 2011 2:31pm
Gizm0

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your advice guys, it's only early ays at the min iv got a focus ST at the min so I'm looking for something more sensible lol. Running costs seems about the same and the common problems done seem as major as what I thought, iv only sat in a couple so need to get myself a test drive, I'm only 22 so insurance is abit higher than most people on here I'd imagine lol

Thanks

Dan

Post #304932 Mon Jul 04 2011 3:04pm
smurf

United Kingdom 

I used to own a focus st3, there is not much difference in the day to day running costs.I used to fill it up with bp ultimate which costs a bit more than tesco diesel.gyres may cost a bit more if you have 20"alloys but get friendly with your local tyre fitter Wink .I am due to replace my brake pads soon but buying the pads and using my local mechanic to fit same,just make sure you can trust them.I recently had a four year service at main dealers which cost around £400,only reason I use them is they can tell me if there are any probes then I look for solutions on here.I am 47yrs and my insurance was slightly cheaper than the st.I see u r in your 20's so my advice would be to buy the hse then you will not have too many toys to add.I bought and fitted myself mud flaps,side steps painted the grill black and added a few bits and bobs.I am also 20 ish at heart anyway.I own a 2.7 hse Stornaway grey on an 07 plate,in my opinion it looks great and I am more than happy with it.good luck in whatever you decide.

Post #304960 Mon Jul 04 2011 5:53pm
PeeBee

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Dan,

I've had my 2006 RRS TDV6 for about 3 years now, bought it with something like 30k miles on it. I'm now at just over 135,000 miles.

Running costs:

fuel is about (these days) €110 for a full tank (so I guess around 90-95 quid), and I do about 450 miles a tank, mixed town/motorway driving.

Other running costs so far:

- 4 new brake disks x 2, set of brake pads every 1,5 other maintenance. Total cost about £800 for brake pads and disks, per 4.
- EGR valves: broken down at about 75000m, the LR dealer said it's a common problem that these fail, and they go 2 at a time. Repair cost: €1600 (about 1600 quid at the time)
- 1 set of new tyres (yes, ONE) at 100,000 miles. Great value (IMHO) compared to the £440 I paid for the 19" on my BMW 5, I now pay about 400 for 2 tyres. Plenty of life in the 2nd set that's on now.

Other than that, I haven't had any painful costs, maybe I'll talk different tomorrow as the car is in for an airco refill and they called that the belt had almost snapped (at €50 a belt a no brainer of course).

Post #304961 Mon Jul 04 2011 6:01pm
rrsboy

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

the cost of therapy to help you get through the emotional trauma of the mistake of choosing a V6 rather than a V8 will be much greater than the increased fuel cost for the V8, which is tiny anyway

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ============
2010 TDV8 HSE - ooo laa laaaaaaaaa
2007 TDV8 HSE - superb car and very reliable
============
2012 - dearly departed, sadly missed.. to return in late 2013 with a new TDV8!

Post #304973 Mon Jul 04 2011 7:50pm
Gizm0

United Kingdom 

My budget doesn't allow me to get the v8

Post #305249 Wed Jul 06 2011 7:05pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 
Re: Range Rover Sport tdv6 running costs?

Gizm0 wrote:
Hi all, I'm currently looking at getting a 2006 sport tdv6, the car I currently drive only gets 19/20mpg but costs £60 to fill up, So just wondering what sort of mpg you get and how much it costs to fill and miles to a tank?? Also is there any common problems on these that I'd need to look out for or check?
I just love the looks of these so would hope to get either a silver or black one. Also what are the servicing costs and brakes etc?

Sorry for all the questions but better to get personal opinions as I couldn't find any owner reviews online Sad

Thanks in advance

Dan Very Happy

Dan
Did you buy one? How did you get on if yes?
Cheers
Rob Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #326850 Wed Jan 04 2012 5:10pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

[quote="rrsboy"]the cost of therapy to help you get through the emotional trauma of the mistake of choosing a V6 rather than a V8 will be much greater than the increased fuel cost for the V8, which is tiny anyway

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter[/quote

Yawn! Not every body wants a v8,and because this is all you talk about i think its you who needs therapy.
Plus the 3.0ltr is smoother, more economical and is in the latest model. Wink SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #326853 Wed Jan 04 2012 5:58pm
Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Rolling Eyes

rrsboy wrote:
the cost of therapy to help you get through the emotional trauma of the mistake of choosing a V6 rather than a V8 will be much greater than the increased fuel cost for the V8, which is tiny anyway

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #326858 Wed Jan 04 2012 6:28pm
Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Rolling Eyes

rrsboy wrote:

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #326859 Wed Jan 04 2012 6:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>