RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Europe > Start Up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

l

Spain 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
Start Up

It was interesting to read BN comments about how to avoid error messages appearing on the trip computer. I have never experienced any errors on my RRS (touchwood) I had a Grand Cherokee before and I was told by the mechanic to let the car do its System Check before starting the car. I took this method over to the RRS and have never had any problems. WELL DONE BN! RRS TDV6 HSE BUCKINGHAM BLUE BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR RHODIUM TASMOD SILLS PARROT 3000 EVOLUTION WHITE SIDE REPEATERS RRPORT.CO.UK BROLLY & STICKER
HOW GOOD IS THIS CAR!!!!
8 YEARS AND STILL GETTING LOOKS

Post #1328 Mon Aug 01 2005 9:30am
Biggles

England 

l

I tend to go along with this my self dont know if it is the cure some are hoping, but have had no eletrical faults or warnings on mine as of yet.
It does make sense though, to wait for the ping after putting the ignition key and turning all computers need time to set themselves up and perform any diagnostic checks.
We have some of the latest HGV trucks and even if you turn the key all the way to the start position the computer will only allow the starter to turn when it has done its checks. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1333 Mon Aug 01 2005 4:37pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Similarly, you can't start typing an email while our PC is still booting up can you?

Makes sense I guess, perhaps we all just expect things to work instantly. None of us can be in SO MUCH of a rush that we cannot wait for the Bong..can we?

Personally, I'd quite like a start up sequence like that of Knight Rider (showing my age now) with a series of lights telling me when it's going to be ready. The RRS does talk to you too, but not quite in the same way as KITT did of course...shame, that would be quite entertaining too. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #1335 Mon Aug 01 2005 4:44pm
Toodeep

United Kingdom 

I can't believe you guys find it acceptable to have to wait two to four seconds (or whatever it is) to start a modern car.....and some of you drive petrol models!!! For us Diesel drivers it's just a return to the days of waiting for the glow plug light to go out (something I haven't even thought about on any Diesel I've driven for 10 years)! There is no comparison with what a PC has to do while booting and a car (mechanical hard drive vs.flash memory) and other more complex cars aren't as fussy so don't let LR off the hook so easily. Even if we accept this, there should be something to prevent starting until the checks are completed. Or maybe the checks could be started when the doors are unlocked.

Maybe my position is slightly different because I HAVE had the faults. Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE in Bonatti Grey + 20" Stormer wheels (ex X5 and ML driver)

Post #1356 Tue Aug 02 2005 11:05am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Toodeep wrote:
I can't believe you guys find it acceptable to have to wait two to four seconds (or whatever it is) to start a modern car.....and some of you drive petrol models!!! For us Diesel drivers it's just a return to the days of waiting for the glow plug light to go out (something I haven't even thought about on any Diesel I've driven for 10 years)! There is no comparison with what a PC has to do while booting and a car (mechanical hard drive vs.flash memory) and other more complex cars aren't as fussy so don't let LR off the hook so easily. Even if we accept this, there should be something to prevent starting until the checks are completed. Or maybe the checks could be started when the doors are unlocked.
Maybe my position is slightly different because I HAVE had the faults.

I totally agree. If it turns out that waiting until the checks are done and you get the 'bong' is the cure to the problems on these cars, then Land Rover should issue a modifacation to all of them which as you say should either not allow the car to start until the checks are done, or better still, start the checks as soon as the car is unlocked.
One problem here is that these forums is the only way such issues are discussed with a larger number of owners and we need some method of reporting back to Land Rover direct, rather than through our local dealers. It's clear that dealers don't report back to the manufacturers anywhere near enough and also have their own different excuses for the reason for such problems.
I do hope someone from Land Rover is watching these forums. I doubt it though. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #1358 Tue Aug 02 2005 11:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

Toodeep,
You are probably correct in the sense that any car with an ecu and other management systems should have some kind of delay when starting.
I find the simple answer to this is to insert the ignition key as I sit in the car and while fastening my seat belt the ping goes of and hey presto I start the car.
While we all can be a little impatient at time and want to rush away, 2-4 seconds it takes is miniscule and has never been a problem to me to allow the car to set it self up.
If I was driving one of my old Isuzu troopers, Range Rover P38, Freelander, Diahatsu etc then it would still be the same giving all the system check lights glow plugs and whatever to go out before I started the engine.
This is probably carried over from the years spent driving the vehicle that paid my way in life and wanting to look after it to the best of my ability.
I also mentioned in aprevious post that some trucks we operate have the feature where as even if you turn the key to start nothing will happen at the starter until the system checks are complete, maybe land rover should have designed this into the car as to ensure that the system was ready. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1359 Tue Aug 02 2005 11:29am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Biggles,

True, it's not long to wait.....but try tell my wife. We've had diesels for a number of years, but she still treats them like petrols. She starts the car, even before the glow plugs have warmed up and then sits there checking herself in the mirror before pulling away! Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #1360 Tue Aug 02 2005 11:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

mpwox11 wrote:
Biggles,

True, it's not long to wait.....but try tell my wife. We've had diesels for a number of years, but she still treats them like petrols. She starts the car, even before the glow plugs have warmed up and then sits there checking herself in the mirror before pulling away!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1361 Tue Aug 02 2005 12:02pm
Toodeep

United Kingdom 

Ahhh wives! It's long been said that men treat their cars more like their wives and as if to prove it we're going to have to forgive our 'wives' this little foible and let 'her' get going when she's good and ready.

Meanwhile over at Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Aston .....even Renault, Honda etc, etc, etc owners are spared even having to turn a key never mind wait to do so. I had a look under the loadspace floor today and saw something I almost mistook to be a starting handle. Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE in Bonatti Grey + 20" Stormer wheels (ex X5 and ML driver)

Post #1387 Wed Aug 03 2005 2:10pm
tasmod

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

According to manual it's still a requirement with TD V6 Sport, to wait for glow plug light to go out before starting engine.

As the weather is quite warm right now, it goes out with the check warning message but I suspect as Winter approaches the glowplug light time will lengthen.

As for system check, with a complex vehicle like this there must be many things to check at start up. i.e. where is suspension (ride height or lowered, is diff locked etc)
Simple things, like what are seat positions, is Nav DVD started, are straightforward on a normal car but the RR has many suspension extras which it must check.

For that reason many of the other warnings and quirks start to make sense. For instance, suspension will not lower to access height when door open. Well it's an offroad vehicle, what if door was open just above a large rock and you selected access height ? Ooops, one bent door !

I wait and watch the display whilst I fasten the seat belt, it takes more time to fasten that, than the RRS takes to check itself.

Post #1478 Mon Aug 08 2005 9:10am
Toodeep

United Kingdom 

"For instance, suspension will not lower to access height when door open. Well it's an offroad vehicle, what if door was open just above a large rock and you selected access height ? Ooops, one bent door !"

You're making my point. We couldn't lower the suspension with the door open if we wanted to (or engage Drive from Park without the footbrake, or remove the key while in gear etc etc) but we can start the car before it's ready so that makes it a fault in my book.

I try to sit and wait as it's seems it's in my own inerest to do so but it doesn't come naturally and I therefore sometimes forget Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE in Bonatti Grey + 20" Stormer wheels (ex X5 and ML driver)

Post #1499 Mon Aug 08 2005 10:50pm
poffer

United Kingdom 

I can confirm that other LandRovers react in a similar fashion - my Discovery would show a fault if you started and immediately put into gear. It only did it occasionally, but when I waited for all the complete, it never happened again. (the advice came from LandRover technician that I called out when it 1st happened, he checked over vehicle anyway and no fault found).

BTW - reference the PC comment (can't get you email when booting), it is not the same circumstance. In the case of the PC, all the applications run within the operating system. In the LR, I suspect the processors communicate with each other, but are reasonably independent. What I would guess is happening is one processor is sending a message at a time or circumstance the other has not been programmed for. You could add more and more software to accomodate all eventualities, but it would make processing slower still (and the more code you write, the more there is to go wrong).

Also, it is not unique to LR, as my BMW would do some very odd things if rushed. The best one seemed to be the management system got completely lost and when you drove off it would accelerate all on its own (yikes!). Now THAT'S a problem!

I do the Discovery thing every time and have no problems.

Peter

Post #1687 Tue Aug 16 2005 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1