RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Privacy Glass
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White
Privacy Glass

I noticed on the age.com.au that bot the new FL2 and new Territory photos had the cars with privacy glass...

I assume this is now legal in Australia?

Post #288369 Tue Feb 08 2011 10:21am
garrycol

Australia 

What do you mean by "privacy glass" - what window tinting?? 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #288370 Tue Feb 08 2011 10:34am
2nd Rower

No I don't mean window tinting I mean this:

Post #288372 Tue Feb 08 2011 10:43am
BKHK

Australia 

I think its always been legal for the rear, but must be less tint for the front?

Post #288373 Tue Feb 08 2011 10:46am
2nd Rower

That wasn't my understanding BKHK, which is why it wasn't an option previously... As I understood the max tint % was the same all round the car.

These photos suggest its now legal to have darker rear windows - at the very least from factory fit?!

Post #288374 Tue Feb 08 2011 10:49am
garrycol

Australia 

2nd Rower wrote:
No I don't mean window tinting I mean this:

So heavy tinted rear windows - always been legal on rear and rear side windows with driver and passenger rear vision mirrors fitted.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #288375 Tue Feb 08 2011 10:51am
BKHK

Australia 

I had what you call "privacy" on the rears of my LC 100 series in 2004. I also had it on my 2006 BMW Touring so i think its always been legal for the rear.

Post #288377 Tue Feb 08 2011 10:58am
Firebird

Australia 

The laws varies state to state. In Victoria you can have the side and rear windows tinted but not the front.

Cheers

Post #288462 Tue Feb 08 2011 9:46pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Firebird wrote:
The laws varies state to state. In Victoria you can have the side and rear windows tinted but not the front.

Cheers
That seems a bit daft, what happens if you drive interstate? Are you at risk of getting nicked by the police if you drive from a state where they are legal into one where they are illegal? Confused 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #288525 Wed Feb 09 2011 12:42pm
BKHK

Australia 

No you are not. If the car has NSW or VIc plates for example, the legislation pertaining to the state of registration applies. However, if you buy a used car in NSW and register it in Vic, when the Vic Roads Roadworthy examination is carried out, you will likely have to replace tint to comply with the local Roadworthy test requirements.

Post #288529 Wed Feb 09 2011 12:54pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Blimey Confused I'm glad I live in a pokie damp wee place called the UK! I like a simple life Wink Whistle 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #288558 Wed Feb 09 2011 4:22pm
2nd Rower

I was told by dealer when I bought my RRS in 07, that factory privacy glass was not available in Aus as it was darker than the max allowed tint. Thus like most, I had my RRS tint fitted side and rear by dealer aftermarket to the max allowed tint, but this is/was not as dark as the 'black' privacy glass that now seems to be coming from Land Rover as a factory option.

Post #288587 Thu Feb 10 2011 12:16am
JONRRS

Australia 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Baltic Blue

2nd Rower wrote:
I was told by dealer when I bought my RRS in 07, that factory privacy glass was not available in Aus as it was darker than the max allowed tint. Thus like most, I had my RRS tint fitted side and rear by dealer aftermarket to the max allowed tint, but this is/was not as dark as the 'black' privacy glass that now seems to be coming from Land Rover as a factory option.

I know that most car companies will now offer privacy glass which covers the rear window and sides, but not front driver and passenger (and obviously the windscreen is not allowed to be tinted).

Privacy glass is around a 15% tint. In NSW 35% is legal for the front driver and passenger window.

I have always (since 1997) tinted my cars all around with 15% and have never been pinged for it. My current VW Passat Wagon has 15%. My Wifes Mini Cooper S also has 15% and looks very dark, with no problems. My old man has a Audi TT which also looks very dark with no problems.

I have seen 5% which is what ambulances have on road cars, and it looks really dark. I wouldn't be game to go that dark.

The guy who has tinted all my cars has 15% on his Hilux which is also covered with Tinting signage and he has had no problems - if anyone was likely to get pinged it would be him I reckon.

Solartint have advertised that if you tint too dark you risk insurance not being paid in the event of a loss. I work in the insurance industry and can tell you hand on heart that I am not aware of a claim ever being denied on this basis.

If you are not willing to take the risk with illegally tinting the front driver and passenger window I would suggest you steer away from privacy glass. If you have 15% all around with 35% on the front driver and pasenger window it looks a bit weird in my opinion - mismatched.

Anyway I hope this helps. 2011 TDV6 Luxury - Baltic Blue, Ebony with Contrast Stitch, RSE, Stormers, Towpack.

Post #288592 Thu Feb 10 2011 5:05am
ivery819

JONRRS is partly correct for NSW:

"Privacy glass is around a 15% tint. In NSW 35% is legal for the front driver and passenger window"
15% VLT is always illegal.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...3_rev3.pdf

Refer to each State's vehicle design standards for a definitive answer.

The NSW requirement to check the tint level is not widely enforced but 35% is the absolute maximum tint (or minimum VLT....visible light transmission ) for passenger cars and station wagons. ( 35 % of available light is transmitted ). Ambulances and commercial vehicles have different rules.
Many in-car brake testing machines have a light transmission testing facility and will print the result together with the brake performance print out that is attached to your inspection certificate.

Post #288605 Thu Feb 10 2011 10:45am
JONRRS

Australia 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Baltic Blue

ivery819 wrote:
JONRRS is partly correct for NSW:

"Privacy glass is around a 15% tint. In NSW 35% is legal for the front driver and passenger window"
15% VLT is always illegal.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...3_rev3.pdf

Refer to each State's vehicle design standards for a definitive answer.

The NSW requirement to check the tint level is not widely enforced but 35% is the absolute maximum tint (or minimum VLT....visible light transmission ) for passenger cars and station wagons. ( 35 % of available light is transmitted ). Ambulances and commercial vehicles have different rules.
Many in-car brake testing machines have a light transmission testing facility and will print the result together with the brake performance print out that is attached to your inspection certificate.

Ivery819,

I am in NSW, and believed the above to be correct, however I have seen privacy glass on a number of new vehicles (VW Passat CC, Toyota Kluger, MB ML350) in the past few years and it is definately 15% VLT.

Has their been a change to the rules, or are manufacturers ignoring the RTA rules? 2011 TDV6 Luxury - Baltic Blue, Ebony with Contrast Stitch, RSE, Stormers, Towpack.

Post #288668 Thu Feb 10 2011 9:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>