Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Just broke down... engine system fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

foobar

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Just broke down... engine system fault

Hi all,

Just been out for the evening and headed home, maybe a mile into the journey and I felt a lack of power, then engine system fault error pops up and she must have gone into a limp mode for 30-40 seconds beofre cutting out completely.

This is the second time now. It's an 06 HSE and it developed this intermittent problem a few weeks after I bought it, initially just a warning, loss of power and then it sorted itself out. The last time it happened (a few months back) she died completely and went to Landrover to be fixed. They didnt really seem too sure, just that the diagnostics showed a fuel pressure fault, they told me they changed the fuel filter and it was ready to collect. It's been fine for a few months but this week I started to get the fault message a couple of times, again just a brief power cut and she was away again until tongiht.

Now, I am a bit of a Censored for running her low on diesel and on both occasions when she has died the range was reading <20 miles. 18 tonight to be precise. As for the quick cut outs I cant really say what the fuel level was but probably low.

Anyway I called a buddy who was kind enough to bring me 20 litres of diesel which brought her up to just quarter of a tank. Tried starting her but no joy, still saying engine fault. Had a poke around under the bonnet, couldnt see anything so tried to start the engine a couple more times without success. Next thing I have a HDC fault and a parking brake fault, follwed by a flat battery. Presumably the hdc fault etc was caused by the flattening battery?

I noticed that I only had a few attemps at starting before the battery was too flat to turn the engine over, maybe 10 short starting attemps, does that sound normal?

Towed home now and I think I'll try to sort it before I go to a garage... £60 for a fuel filter?? Range rover is totally new to me so I will go and read some of the doucments on here as I'd like to look at the fule filter and see if it is blocked up but I have a few other questions maybe you could answer.

If the range indicator was innacurate and I Did actually run out of diesel, I assume I dont need to prime anythng?

Given the short life of the battery, is it possible thats causing the cutting out issue?

Any other suggestions on what to look at?

Thanks in advance Smile

Post #286479 Fri Jan 21 2011 2:34am
disco4x4au

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Santorini Black

You may have sediment in the fuel system if you're continuously running it low (or is that just a problem with Australian fuel over here?).

I'd try a replacement battery first and see if it rectifies the cascade of errors.

Cheers,

Gordon 2015 RRS SDV6 SE, Santorini Black, GOE 2-way HS rods, Traxide dual battery, 275/55R20 Nitto TerraGraplers

2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE - GOE 3-way HS rods, GOE underbody plates and sliders, 275/65R18 Courgia MT

Post #286486 Fri Jan 21 2011 6:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickM

United Kingdom 

Don't think it's the lack of fuel have had a couple of occasions in 3 years where I have driven in on 0 miles to get to a petrol station...

Post #286490 Fri Jan 21 2011 8:05am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Sounds like either a blocked fuel filter or sticking RGR valves. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #286495 Fri Jan 21 2011 10:18am
foobar

Very Annoyed wrote:
Sounds like either a blocked fuel filter or sticking RGR valves.

well the fuel filter was replaced less than 2000 miles ago and it cured theproblem back then, surely that wouldnt need replacing already?

Presume you meant EGR valve? Can they be "unstuck"

Post #286504 Fri Jan 21 2011 1:34pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

yes egr and they can stick and do stick. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #286508 Fri Jan 21 2011 4:11pm
foobar

Very Annoyed wrote:
yes egr and they can stick and do stick.

So can they be unstuck or do I have to replace?

Thanks Smile

Post #286521 Fri Jan 21 2011 5:57pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

As easy to replace as to clean - better to replace. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #286525 Fri Jan 21 2011 6:53pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Just has ESF again (about 8 now) on my d3, all at modest speed but putting in a bit of throttle to get out & round stuff on Mway or on hills. Changed air filter, fuel filter, intercooler, MAF sensor, EGRs new(ish) but blanked. Thinking it's turbo related but turbo is only 9 months old. Having her plugged in tomorrow to try and see what else to change. Getting mightily Censored ed off with is as no-one seems to have a handle on what is causing this on D3/RRSs. Banging Head

Post #286544 Fri Jan 21 2011 9:37pm
foobar

DSL wrote:
Just has ESF again (about 8 now) on my d3, all at modest speed but putting in a bit of throttle to get out & round stuff on Mway or on hills. Changed air filter, fuel filter, intercooler, MAF sensor, EGRs new(ish) but blanked. Thinking it's turbo related but turbo is only 9 months old. Having her plugged in tomorrow to try and see what else to change. Getting mightily Censored ed off with is as no-one seems to have a handle on what is causing this on D3/RRSs. Banging Head

Shocked i hope i'm not in for that kind of ride, sounds expensive

I'll have someone to give me a hand looking into it tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

Post #286594 Sat Jan 22 2011 2:59pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Most replaced due to maintenance or offroading use/abuse so you should be OK. Had it plugged in to an Autologic reader and it has come up with TURBO OVERBOOST type fault, again, pointing to either turbo actuator linkage needing fixed (again) or a new turbo (again). Would also explain my 20% drop in mpg, chart shows clearly when the problem occurred. Sad

Will get it booked into Guava for them to have a mooch. Thanks to the gods that this is my offroader & not day to day wheels!

Post #286617 Sat Jan 22 2011 10:23pm
foobar

Well luckily it looks like my issue was fuel related. Got some power in the battery, bled off a very small amount of air and kept cranking her for 30 seconds and away she went. WIN! Smile

Post #286726 Mon Jan 24 2011 10:05am
timcom0

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

foobar wrote:
Well luckily it looks like my issue was fuel related. Got some power in the battery, bled off a very small amount of air and kept cranking her for 30 seconds and away she went. WIN! Smile

Help, on my way home went to over take a line of lorries and buggar started to slow down, no warning lights, 80 miles of fuel still showing and came to a stop eventually when a lorry let me in to become stuck on the inside lane of a dangerous dual carraigeway, AA eventually came twohours later and my eyes sore from cringing now recovered to garage and awaiting outcome, plugged in to computer breifly to ahow no faults, any ideas, thanks

Post #287135 Thu Jan 27 2011 8:03pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Welcome to CMLRTTCM (Club My Land Rover Tried To Kill Me)!!

Post #287151 Thu Jan 27 2011 8:37pm
timcom0

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

DSL wrote:
Welcome to CMLRTTCM (Club My Land Rover Tried To Kill Me)!!

Hi, YES, in the two hours sat there attampts 200+ but was a good excuse for alcohol

Post #287153 Thu Jan 27 2011 8:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>