RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mod to make rear map / reading lights come on?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

simon1233

United Kingdom 

Update - I have noticed this weekend that both reading lights are activated when either switch is used (happily the diode prevents the courtesy lights coming on at the same time). I think this is due to my joining both new wires from the bulb-holders together at the junction with the diode. Will modify by adding another diode to give one per light and this should allow the reading lights to work independently and also with the courtesy lights - I hope so anyway. If nothing else my soldering skills are improving Smile

Post #286728 Mon Jan 24 2011 10:32am
Sizzle TDV8

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thanks to Simons and Alans great work I just completed this using their fantastic guides. Just a few bits that you could try differently if you undertake this yourself....All at your own risk of course ( I take no liability for you completing this mod).

1st one - Simon you are correct, you will need a diode on each wire from the rear map light to stop both rear map lights coming on when you switch one of them on manually. It is ok to join them after the diodes on the way to the purple wire for the boot light. This will allow each to be switched on without affecting the other.

2nd one - If you use the boot light as the supply/switch make sure you run the wires away from the side windows due to the curtain airbags! If these were to go off it would also make a mess of your wiring. Luckily I have the sunroof, so it was easy to cable tie the wires to the drainage tube that runs to the rear of the vehicle keeping them away from the curtain airbags. I am not sure if the fixings are there if you dont have the sunroof, could anyone clarify??

3rd one - Once you remove the clip on the map light plug it is very easy to use a small jewellers screwdriver to release the clips that hold the wires into the plug and remove them. just reverse their position in the plug and replace the clip thus maintaining their integrity and no worrying about bending the pins. Also not worrying about inadvertently putting the plug in the wrong way as it can only go in one way with the clip attached.

4th one - If you go Simons way and use the boot light as a supply/switch you can also remove the purple wire from the plug using a jewellers screwdriver once the clip has been removed and use the plug as the connection rather than a scotch/lucas clip. Whatever you feel happiest doing.

5th one - I personally didn't solder the wire to the map lights, I just tinned the wire and flattened it between a pliers jaws, it then fits snuggly between the bulb holder and bulb mount at the top where it meets the clear plastic part of the main body of the map light (will not slip out as its tight). This allows for removal of the lens and switch if required at a later date.

HOPE THIS CAN BE OF HELP TO EVERYONE, AND THANKS AGAIN TO ALANS AND SIMONS EFFORTS, WITHOUT WHICH I WOULD NEVER HAVE ATTEMPTED THIS EASY MOD. 2007 RRS TDV8 Stornaway Grey with lots of smiles..
2007 Audi A4 2.0T Cabriolet

Missing - 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Post #286796 Mon Jan 24 2011 10:34pm
big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Weather permitting I'm hopefully going to do this mod tomorrow.

One thing you mention Sizzle is the drainage tube fir the su roof - luckily I have a sunroof fitted, but know nothing if these drainage tubes - where are they, and where do they run along?

I'm going to solder in the 2 diodes after the rear boot light so that I am only running neat wires to the rear lights. I've also got some heat shrink to wrap around them to hopefully ensure neat clean soldered joins stay that way!

Thanks again guys

Ross MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #288008 Fri Feb 04 2011 9:53pm
zb

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

will the rear map lights now come on if either rear door is open, or any door?

Post #288025 Sat Feb 05 2011 12:29am
big pimp

Not by themselves I don't think. I don't think

I believe they will come on with the courtesy lights when you lock or unlock, and also when any of the other doors are opened MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #288040 Sat Feb 05 2011 9:45am
simon1233

United Kingdom 

Rear reading lights work with all the courtesy lights. Whenever you open any door they come on with the othe lights. By using the diodes it also means that they will continue to function as reading lights without making all the courtesy lights come on as well Very Happy

Post #288044 Sat Feb 05 2011 10:07am
Steuart64

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

big pimp wrote:
Awesome looking dude!

I nominate this already for most informative post of the year!

And I will second that! Now - MY11 RRS Autobiography TDV6, Orkney gray, tints, steps, daylight running lamps and allllll the toys!!!
Ex- RRS HSE TDV6 07 Java Black, bi xenon, corner lights, side steps, tints, cool box, smoke side repeats, chrome "sport" boot sill
Ex - Audi A4 Cab 3.0TDi Quattro
Ex - Freelander2 SE TD4
Ex - CRV Auto

Post #288061 Sat Feb 05 2011 1:15pm
big pimp

I just dome this today and it took all of an hour to get it wired, soldered and diode fitted, and everything heat shrunk to keep it nice and safe and secure..... Delighted with it - such a relatively easy mod, but it begs the question as to why LR didn't just do it in the first place.

A sincere thanks again to the original modder but more to simon for his easy to read and understand and follow guide which was really a gift to anyone who wishes to do this mod. MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #288086 Sat Feb 05 2011 6:27pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

big pimp wrote:
.... Delighted with it - such a relatively easy mod, but it begs the question as to why LR didn't just do it in the first place.

Then we wouldn't have anything to fill our winter days Very Happy '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #288087 Sat Feb 05 2011 6:43pm
Sizzle TDV8

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Ross (big pimp) sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, only just got my laptop back. Take it you found the drainage tubes then??

For everyone else you can see the drainage tubes (if you have the sunroof) when you pull down on the roof headlining from the rear once you have taken the boot seal away, you then just follow the tubing till it reaches the rear courtesy light areas. They are approx 8-10mm diameter black rubber tubing.

Hope this helps. 2007 RRS TDV8 Stornaway Grey with lots of smiles..
2007 Audi A4 2.0T Cabriolet

Missing - 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Post #288247 Mon Feb 07 2011 12:00am
carlos50

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I want to have this feature on my RRS but am not confident enough to try it, how hard a job is it and can something go wrong etc?

Alternatively is it something an auto electrician can do / LR indy?

Post #289010 Sun Feb 13 2011 6:39pm
simon1233

United Kingdom 

Very easy Thumbs Up

Post #289011 Sun Feb 13 2011 6:41pm
carlos50

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Did you have any experience with wiring, soldering etc before doing this work ?

Post #289013 Sun Feb 13 2011 6:44pm
simon1233

United Kingdom 

Hi Carlos

Before I did this mod the last time I had used a soldering iron was 20 years ago at high school.

It is easy to do and shouldn't take more than 1 hour. Technically you can probably use Lucas clips to attach the diodes and then just wedge the wires into the correct side of the lamp holder.

If you're in the northwest PM me and if I'm around I will gladly help you

Simon

Post #289018 Sun Feb 13 2011 7:04pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

simon1233 wrote:
Technically you can probably use Lucas clips to attach the diodes and then just wedge the wires into the correct side of the lamp holder.

This is how I did it, the "dirty" way Wink
Used butt connectors for the diodes and self stripping connector to connect to the boot light.
No soldering in my case

Very easy if you follow Simon's instructions and Sizzle's tips(the one re. switching the clips) '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #289020 Sun Feb 13 2011 7:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>