RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

garrycol

Australia 
Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

Has anyone fitted an auxiliary fuel tank to their RRS? I was pottering around under my car looking at spots that may be suitable. The obvious spot is the spare wheel well and I assume a D3 tank would fit there but then you have to sort out what to do with the spare. If the exhaust was changed there would probably be a spot for about 60 litres beside the main tank on the passenger side of the car but I assume that there is not even a D3 tank for this location.

Like most RRS owners I am not keen to have spare wheel carrier permanently on the back nor carrying a spare permanently inside - would be happy to carry one temporarily on a roof rack though. I was thinking that swapping the spare for a removable tank the same general dimensions as the spare and held up by the winch might work - no permanent plumbing required just a tap and electric pump on the side and fill into the main tank via the standard filler might work. That way the tank could only be installed for long trips.

So has anyone installed a D3 auxiliary tank or given thought to other options.

Cheers

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #284818 Wed Jan 05 2011 9:50am
disco4x4au

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Santorini Black

I've been thinking along exactly the same lines over the last few days. I've a trip through the Canning Stock Route coming up in July and I'm not too keen on removable internal tanks (actually it's SWMBO that's not too keen on those!).

If I come up with anything, I'll let you know - I'm talking to the boys at Dollium tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gordon 2015 RRS SDV6 SE, Santorini Black, GOE 2-way HS rods, Traxide dual battery, 275/55R20 Nitto TerraGraplers

2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE - GOE 3-way HS rods, GOE underbody plates and sliders, 275/65R18 Courgia MT

Post #284932 Thu Jan 06 2011 12:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimmy Salsa

Australia 

I'd also be interested in a solution.

I understand that ARB are close to delivering a swing away wheel carrier for the rear bumper which would free up the spare wheel space but haven't had an update on this for a month or so and am unable to confirm the rumour. 'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #284933 Thu Jan 06 2011 1:49am
garrycol

Australia 

When swapping wheels around yesterday I had a good look around the wheel well (who designed the spare arrangement that means you have to lower the wheel to put air in it - but I digress).

Between the chassis X member behind the rear diff and the rear X member there is a relatively light weight frame that I assume actually supports the spare and the winch arrangement. This frame tends to follow the shape of the spare and as a result there is a bit of wasted space above the frame.

If this frame were able to be removed it would create a lot more space to put in a permanent aux tank.

I don't like the idea of a spare wheel carrier on the rear of a RRS and it would spoil the lines - a carrier looks OK on a Disco but I don't think it would work on a RRS.

That why the more I think about it I like the idea of a removable tank in the spare wheel well that is held in place by the winch. Only there when needed and the rest of the time the car is basically standard.

Though a permanent tank underneath the cabin would be ideal.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #284934 Thu Jan 06 2011 3:21am
bigneil

New Zealand 

I,m new so dont bite my head off,

But for the odd time that extra fuel is needed why not just carry a couple of clean gerry cans in the back, it would save a Censored of money ? I could understand it if you where going bush for months on end Rolling Eyes

Post #284937 Thu Jan 06 2011 5:37am
garrycol

Australia 

Neil,

You do make a good point and the carriage of jerry cans is always an option. As I said I was under my car as I have only had it four weeks and looking at the spaces there got me thinking.

I am looking at longer trips such as the Canning Stock Route etc.

To put things in perspective I have a Landrover 101FC that I use for most of my 4wding and I am happy to use it if with slower vehicles or by myself over long distances.

Click image to enlarge

However I am also in a Landrover 4wd club whose ownership is mainly modern vehicles. On longer trips the 101 is just too slow to keep up on the highway and this is where the RRS comes in. While it is my everyday drive and I want to keep it as such, it will be also used for the longer trips which may last over a month and go to remote areas where range is important.

So while jerries are an option, if there was an alternative solution such as a permanent tank underneath or a removable tank where the spare goes I would like to have a look at these. (plus diesel will make a mess of my nice Aspen interior if it leaks)

Cheers

Garry - see we do not bite - well not much anyway. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #284939 Thu Jan 06 2011 6:30am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Forum member Riminired has the 4x4 intelligence swing away wheel carrier fitted:
http://4x4intelligence.com.au/4x4i%20products%203Mar2010.pdf

I believe he also has a long range tank, and if you see his signature he's taken his RRS across the Simpson Desert with The Range Rover Club Vic..

@Jimmy Salsa - You'll be seeing Rimini's TDV8 in February at the VIC RRSPORT meet! You can see what he's done first hand..

Post #284942 Thu Jan 06 2011 8:41am
bigneil

New Zealand 

As i live in NZ we are not used to these huge trips Laughing

Plus we had the sence to build plenty of gas stations Sheep

quick edit...... how do i put a piccy on (btw the forward control is a cracker mate) i have a piccy of my new beast that i pick up next tuesday

Post #284946 Thu Jan 06 2011 9:07am
garrycol

Australia 

You need to use a 3rd party listing site such as Photobucket. You put your pic on that site and then it will give you a range of links for listing gear - copy the link for forums and paste the link in your post on this site. Before posting look at the preview to check all is Ok then post.

This process is fairly common for most fora.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #284961 Thu Jan 06 2011 10:44am
garrycol

Australia 

2nd Rower wrote:
Forum member Riminired has the 4x4 intelligence swing away wheel carrier fitted:
http://4x4intelligence.com.au/4x4i%20products%203Mar2010.pdf

I believe he also has a long range tank, and if you see his signature he's taken his RRS across the Simpson Desert with The Range Rover Club Vic..

\
Thanks - it is good to see someone making some stuff for the RRS. However I don't think a spare wheel carrier will look right. Don't look good on a RR classic or a P38 - but does look good on a Disco.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #284962 Thu Jan 06 2011 10:47am
disco4x4au

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Not sure about the 4x4 Intelligence carrier, but with the Opposite Lock version (for the D4) you can remove the arm when not in use, leaving just a small stub protruding from the bumper and the latch. Might help with the aesthetics?

Cheers,

Gordon 2015 RRS SDV6 SE, Santorini Black, GOE 2-way HS rods, Traxide dual battery, 275/55R20 Nitto TerraGraplers

2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE - GOE 3-way HS rods, GOE underbody plates and sliders, 275/65R18 Courgia MT

Post #285084 Fri Jan 07 2011 12:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

I am just waiting for all you guys to try this stuff and report back how it goes. Very Happy 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #285086 Fri Jan 07 2011 2:25am
640Newton

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I spoke to Opposite Lock about the rear wheel carrier and the long-range fuel tank and they can do both installed for about $3,200. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #285088 Fri Jan 07 2011 2:49am
raadar

Australia 

disco4x4,

don't forget , when discussing these options with dolium that the fitment should be universal for RRS and D4 to keep costs down......(and to suit my D4 offcourse)

regards

Post #285399 Mon Jan 10 2011 1:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1