RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Advice Needed.. Which one to order!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Hang Over

Isle Of Man 
Advice Needed.. Which one to order!

Im currently have a number of options but really dont know which way to go..

I could order a new RRs TD6 HSE

Look for a used RRS S/C (more and more of them coming available in autortrader)

Could also go down the route of a second hand Range rover S/C or Vogue TD6.. any used car i get would have to have the VIP service plan though..

All in all this is a wonderful problem to have! I am test driving a RR tonight and a RRs again tomorrow. But both are the TD6 they do not have petrol demonstrators..

From what i can see the TD6 is going to be the most cost effective route as the resale values are holding very very strong.. i think a S/C rangerover at £50k is still going to loose a Censored load of cash over 2 or 3 years..

The RRS s/c may well hold its own as there will always be people wanting one but the market is mroe limited and i think this will be reflected in the resale value.

So what do you guys (and gals) think? Those of you who have the S/C RRS what do you recon to them?

Tom

Post #23550 Mon Apr 10 2006 11:18am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Looks like you've done your homework, Hang Over.
Go where your heart takes you! Wink Wink Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #23577 Mon Apr 10 2006 1:02pm
Hang Over

Isle Of Man 

NOOOOOO my heart says SUPERCHARGER... but my wallet and senses says TD6 HSE.

Also £63k will buy a new M5! Twisted Evil

Post #23596 Mon Apr 10 2006 1:54pm
Andy

United Kingdom 

Don't bother with a RR, show your youth and get an RRS Wink
How many miles do you do? If you're planning on doing high miles in the RRS I'd go for a TDV6, but if you're only using it as a Sunday fun car, go for a supercharged. 2002 Discovery Adventurer LE
1998 Freelander xedi
Ertl limited edition RRS model number 817

Post #23597 Mon Apr 10 2006 1:58pm
PaulB

England 

I'll agree with that.
I've just spent a few hours in an RR and to be honest, I couldn't see where the extra money goes. It isn't noticeably nicer inside than my RRS.
The rear camera was quite cool as was the remote camera, but apart from that, the RRS is a better car with a better engine (TDV6) and all the latest off -road toys i.e. Terrain Response.

Paul

Post #23599 Mon Apr 10 2006 2:02pm
Hang Over

Isle Of Man 

i only do 5 or 6000 miles a year at most and pay my fuel through the company so its thirst isnt really an issue.

With regards to the RR, i beleive the RRS will hold its value better and does have the edge with regards to styling..

Andy, your comment made me laugh.. i have actually spoken to my 23 year old cousin and he thinks the RR is better looking and he would choose one of those.. so maybe the youth/age thing isnt as clear cut as we think! Id have thought he would be a RRs lad!

Post #23601 Mon Apr 10 2006 2:23pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Well, if fuel's no issue I'd say go with the SC... esp given you're going to be a low-miler. It won't necessarily keep it's value on the same curve as the TDV6, but if you do plump for a second-hand SC, someone else has already taken the majority of that hit for you....

Mind you, as you say... £63k gets you an M5! Cool Choices choices Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #23602 Mon Apr 10 2006 2:32pm
Hang Over

Isle Of Man 

I'm going to speak to the LR salesman this affy and see if he thinks its viable to find a S/C Sport for about £55k

The new M3 isnt out for YONKS and i dont have the patients of Kam... Wink

Post #23606 Mon Apr 10 2006 2:37pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Hang Over wrote:
NOOOOOO my heart says SUPERCHARGER... but my wallet and senses says TD6 HSE.

Also £63k will buy a new M5! Twisted Evil

The EXACT same quandary I had. Test drove new M5 to replace old M5, loved it, did not like sound of 2 year wait .

Looked at Range Rovers and was about to buy a 4.4 Vogue when the Sport came out, had dismissed idea of new car at this point. Happened to test drive a Supercharged Sport and the rest as they say, is history.

It's an awesome car. Others will tell you that the TD6 in the RR is not as good as the TDV6 in the Sport.

All petrol engines will lose money, I prefer to think about all the fun to be had along the way. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #23607 Mon Apr 10 2006 2:39pm
Hang Over

Isle Of Man 

RRUK, i also have a old M5.. lol its bloomin hard finding anything that compares to them! drove a 996 (non turbo) at the weekend and thought it was pants! bouncy, slugish & poorly laid out inside.. spoilt by my m5 me thinks....

I just think im going to struggle to arrange a test drive in a S/C and i dont wanna order one without doing that... grrrr anyway will see wot the sale man says in 15 mins Wink

Post #23616 Mon Apr 10 2006 3:40pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

If you dont do many miles as you state then its a no brainer Shocked it has to be the SUPERCHARGED - its what the sport is ! I would agree the the RR diesel is poor compared to the TDV6 engine - but then if it had to be diesel then I would wait for the V8 version due out later this year. But as I posted elsewhere - at what list price will it be? Are you buing are car to save money ? [ all cars lose money - some faster than others I know ] or for the enjoyment factor

Another factor to take into account since you are looking at the big RR - I would wait again as the RR is having an interior facelift in June....... so hold your horses.

Moving on ..... I would also say RR or RRS motoring is so different to any other... its laid back, effortless, easy going, relaxing, smooth..... you find yourself driving with less of the " I need to drive fast " factor..... so maybe a TDV6 or V8d is the best roue after all ..... ... ... ... oooohhh but that superchager sound

Sorry can't help you Embarassed 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #23623 Mon Apr 10 2006 4:04pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

the m3 won't be out for yonks, you are right, but i have an RRS for now, and a RS4 to fill the gap, which should be more then adequate i think!

Buy a RRS SC mate, if fuel is no issue i would have done. I couldn't afford the extra outlay for an SC at the time i bought the TDV6, but if i could of, i would have.. Used prices are quite good nowadays.. why are you asking you're LR dealer? he will say, nah won't get one for £55k.. get on autotrader and find one, few around with nice specs low milers. all on warranty still and finance isn't really an issue.. if you need a broker for that give me a shout will be happy to chuck you a couple for quotations. (very competitive and comparible if not better then dealer quotations). Hopefully if you get one from a private smaller trader, you should get a decent price for you're M5 as well...

Good luck with it, as you said, not a bad problem to have!!

Post #23631 Mon Apr 10 2006 4:46pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Re: Advice Needed.. Which one to order!

Hang Over wrote:
Could also go down the route of a second hand Range rover S/C or Vogue TD6.. any used car i get would have to have the VIP service plan though.. Tom

You will have a problem finding a car with much VIP left to run. In the UK it was only offered up to June 2003 and lasted 5 years. In my experience the dealers are very reluctant to pass on the balance of VIP to the next owner (it is transferable) due to what it has cost LR in the long run. My RR had it and basically all I had to do was tax and insure the car and fill the tank with fuel - LR paid for the rest! Best discount I ever got out of the local dealer it was too when they paid the full £1000 of the VIP instead of giving me discount on my Td6. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #23666 Mon Apr 10 2006 6:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hang Over

Isle Of Man 

Cheers for all the comments, particulary the VIP info.. i didnt realise they stopped running it in 2003! It seemed like the perfect way to own a RR..

So i collected a RR Vogue TD6 in buckingham Blue, after the M5 it felt broken but every car i drive feels like that for about an hour. I took it out for a good run, round the twisty roads and over the mountain, there is actually quite a bit of power developed by the TD6 and although it doesnt pin you to your seat it still accelerates constantly up to 100+, i was surprised to look at the speedo on a few occasions and find i was doing 90..

I just dont think that it handles as well as a Sport, its been about 8 months since i drove a sport though but i seem to remember the TDV6 having more power and better handling.. I have the sport on test again tonight so ill find out!

After driving the TD6 i dont think im going to splash the extra for a S/C, there appeared to be enough power to keep me going and the TDV6 residuals are so strong that it will make more financial sense so id be able to sell after 2 years and buy and new M3 (think ill go and give the deposit today).

Post #23789 Tue Apr 11 2006 9:49am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Hang Over, RR over the mountain? Laughing That would be interesting!

I used to come over for the TT on my ZX6-R (Stage II dynojet) and those 17 miles (I think!) from Ramsay to Douglas is sensational.

For that route, I'd probably recommend an RRS S/C, or TDV6 with dynamic pack (ARM would be a boon on those twisty's)

Happy Test Driving Mr. Green Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #23803 Tue Apr 11 2006 10:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>